Wichita State vs. Cincinnati Game Thread 3-13-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

At large or not ...we get to hang a Conference championship banner ... That's something we haven't done in a while.
    We sure do (hang Championship banner)!!!!!!!

Just soooo weird that doesn't get you in the tourney. So weird....
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Do y’all not remember that Tulsa had a share of the championship last year and wasn’t getting in the tournament? It’s not that crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
        Do y’all not remember that Tulsa had a share of the championship last year and wasn’t getting in the tournament? It’s not that crazy.
        I do but they had 10 losses on the season with a few of them being really bad 20 point losses.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• We looked like a tournament team when we played Houston. Other than that game, maybe not

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            We looked like a tournament team when we played Houston. Other than that game, maybe not
            Senior day against USF was pretty damn good. Even with the end getting sloppy.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Ok, I had to take a break after that loss yesterday. Tough. Funny cause that was the one matchup I wasn't too worried about. Am I the only one who suffers from "Shocker Loss Depression Syndrome"? Wife told me I'm acting like an idiot. Yep, she's right.

He hoping like hell we make it to the dance. But I guess, if I'm being honest, there are worse things than being to seed to the NIT. My biggest hope is that yesterday woke our Shockers up and now they realize that if you want to win, play inspired like we did against Houston. Next game will be telling.

Now, GO SHOCKS!

Comment

Do y’all not remember that Tulsa had a share of the championship last year and wasn’t getting in the tournament? It’s not that crazy.
                It was also a 3 way share. Not the same as an outright title when the 2nd place team is a Top 5-10 team in the country

Comment

• game
                  Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

It was also a 3 way share. Not the same as an outright title when the 2nd place team is a Top 5-10 team in the country
                  We finished a full game BEHIND Houston in the standings while avoiding half the games amongst the top 4 teams, so I’m not sure the “outright” title is all that prestigious this season. If we actually made up missed games, we would have to be undefeated in all those games to maintain the outright title.
                  Last edited by shock-it-to-me; March 15, 2021, 06:26 AM.

Comment

game

We finished a full game BEHIND Houston in the standings while avoiding half the games amongst the top 4 teams, so I’m not sure the “outright” title is all that prestigious this season. If we actually made up missed games, we would have to be undefeated in all those games to maintain the outright title.
                    Don’t get me wrong, I think what we did this year under the circumstances is amazing. But winning the conference means jack $h!t in terms of making the tournament. The ONLY thing that really seems to matter anymore is Q1/Q2 victories.

Comment

game

Whoa, whoa, whoa. WE didn't avoid anything. SMU has no one but themselves to blame for missing our 2 scheduled games. They and Memphis managed not to play us while we sat around for 12 days with no games. Penny, himself, turned down an AAC proposal to play us. Lastly, we split with Houston. So we TIED Houston and fellow top conference mates put the Cougars BEHIND us. You're also assuming those conference mates would win. Prestigious or not, we did not fail our obligations. OUR players did everything they could to see that they would be able to play a full conference schedule. There was more to this season that just winning on the court. There was also making sure you are there to play. I will not short change OUR players for doing their part when other team's players did not.

Comment

• There should be no apologies for winning the American Conference this year. We didn't make the rules. We just played the best we can. Do I think that we will go far in the tourney this year? No and I think that if we don't make some improvements on our team during the offseason, we won't be good enough to win next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Whoa, whoa, whoa. WE didn't avoid anything. SMU has no one but themselves to blame for missing our 2 scheduled games. They and Memphis managed not to play us while we sat around for 12 days with no games. Penny, himself, turned down an AAC proposal to play us. Lastly, we split with Houston. So we TIED Houston and fellow top conference mates put the Cougars BEHIND us. You're also assuming those conference mates would win. Prestigious or not, we did not fail our obligations. OUR players did everything they could to see that they would be able to play a full conference schedule. There was more to this season that just winning on the court. There was also making sure you are there to play. I will not short change OUR players for doing their part when other team's players did not.
                          I agree that we deserve the conference championship because we won the games put in front of us, beat the best team in the league, avoided any pitfalls, and were willing/tried to reschedule games against SMU and Memphis.

I’m not on board with playing the blame game and pointing the finger at other teams. For one, we don’t really know the circumstances that lead to their pauses. None of that information was released.

I also think there was a bit of “there but for the grace of god go I” at play this year. We had our own pause early in the season and then two guys missed the conference tourney. Similarly a team like KU went all season without issue then had to back out of the conference tourney.

Comment

game

All Houston had to do was not lost to a HORRENDOUS ECU team, and they would have been the champs.
                            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

All Houston had to do was not lost to a HORRENDOUS ECU team, and they would have been the champs.
                              That point refutes zero from what I said.

Comment

That point refutes zero from what I said.
                                WSU won more of the games they had the opportunity to play than UH did, therefore, they were outright champs.

If UH beats a crappy ECU team (two wins WSU didn’t; have an opportunity to earn), they would have won more of the game they had the opportunity to play and thus been outright champs.

You can only play who you have the opportunity to play. Much like WSU blew it in DFW, UH blew it @ ECU.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X