No announcement yet.

Isaac Brown: Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It will be interesting to see if there is a trading of rosters, P5 role players moving to non-P5 schools and non-P5 starters moving P5 schools. Lower tier starters moving to mid tier schools and mid tier role players moving to lower tier schools.

Churning up and down. Lower and mid tier schools being feeder developmental incubators.

Aabsolutely no loyalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerLurker View Post

Exactly. If they were a deep team they wouldn't have been as tired.
      But we don’t really know that.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• This is absurd, you guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
          It will be interesting to see if there is a trading of rosters, P5 role players moving to non-P5 schools and non-P5 starters moving P5 schools. Lower tier starters moving to mid tier schools and mid tier role players moving to lower tier schools.

Churning up and down. Lower and mid tier schools being feeder developmental incubators.

Aabsolutely no loyalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerLurker View Post

Exactly. If they were a deep team they wouldn't have been as tired.
            Not only that, but if they would have attempted tough man-up D, even a little, they would have been able to rest their starters at the end of the game. But they're weren't built that way this year.

Remember, that same ChickenHawk team that scored all of 51 against the mighty Trojans scored 90 on the Zags.

Just sayin'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
              With the transfer rules, I maintain it's going to be hard for any team, including P5, to keep 8 quality players happy.
              If the plan is to have 4 and 5* players happy coming off the bench, the plan is flawed. A majority of Good players mixed with several 4* players who put the team first is important. They do exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
                Is going ten deep really the key to success? Gonzaga played 5 guys for 30+ minutes. Most of the more successful schools seem to only go about 7 deep, and those extra two don't play a huge number of minutes.
                Those schools have much greater recruiting success on average and our stamina from playing 10 or eleven well trained and developed players helps us compete for 40 minutes and avoid foul trouble.

Comment

• I know not everyone is a subscriber but worth a read if you get a chance.
                  If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxFan7 View Post
                    https://theathletic.com/2692711/2021...shared_article

I know not everyone is a subscriber but worth a read if you get a chance.
                    What I was allowed to read was a nice compliment to IB. Is the "main idea" of the article in this "tease" paragraph they gave to everyone?

Isaac Brown’s phone rings on a Tuesday morning, and it’s one of his former players from 1996 at Pearl River Community College. The ex-player has a son now who is a Division-I prospect, and he wants Brown to see him play in a couple weeks on the grassroots circuit. This is a very direct connection to Brown, but you’ll be hard pressed to find a player he’s not associated with in some way. It’s a fun game they like to play in the Wichita State basketball offices. It’s like the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon basketball version.

“The guy knows every single player that’s ever played college basketball, I swear,” Shockers legend Ron Baker says. “Just a junkie, man.”

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxFan7 View Post
                      https://theathletic.com/2692711/2021...shared_article

I know not everyone is a subscriber but worth a read if you get a chance.
                      Can someone that is a subscriber copy and paste the article, pretty pleaseeee ?

Comment

• Originally posted by apkbaum View Post

Can someone that is a subscriber copy and paste the article, pretty pleaseeee ?
                        Kung Wu is gonna say no to that lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

What I was allowed to read was a nice compliment to IB. Is the "main idea" of the article in this "tease" paragraph they gave to everyone?

Isaac Brown’s phone rings on a Tuesday morning, and it’s one of his former players from 1996 at Pearl River Community College. The ex-player has a son now who is a Division-I prospect, and he wants Brown to see him play in a couple weeks on the grassroots circuit. This is a very direct connection to Brown, but you’ll be hard pressed to find a player he’s not associated with in some way. It’s a fun game they like to play in the Wichita State basketball offices. It’s like the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon basketball version.

“The guy knows every single player that’s ever played college basketball, I swear,” Shockers legend Ron Baker says. “Just a junkie, man.”
                          It was a very well written article. Really highlighting the differences that Brown brings to the program while maintaining the traditions that have built here. They did a good job of highlighting those positives without going negative towards Marshall.

General trend is that Brown is a players coach. Former players and coaches all are in his corner. He's the reason Udeze came back .. No one is going to out work him. He's going to do things that a lot of head coaches see as "beneath" them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

It was a very well written article. Really highlighting the differences that Brown brings to the program while maintaining the traditions that have built here. They did a good job of highlighting those positives without going negative towards Marshall.

General trend is that Brown is a players coach. Former players and coaches all are in his corner. He's the reason Udeze came back .. No one is going to out work him. He's going to do things that a lot of head coaches see as "beneath" them.
                            Thanks for the great synopsis. I would hope they wouldn't go negative against GM. Without him, there is no need for an article. GM totally saved this program. Besides, GM and IB are two totally different people and my hope is that IB proves his way is just as successful as GM's way during the next 10 years.

Comment

• It's the little things (emphasis mine):

"Condience, Rick," he says in the ear of Ricky Council as the rising sophomore attempts deep 3's on the left wing. "Know it's going in."

"Dex, way to dribble with that left," he shouts as Dexter Dennis crosses half court.

These were expressed during the "wing" session of individual workouts, per the article.

The article also highlighted that it was Brown's insistence that got Udeze to change his mind and return, because, per HCIB, this was going to be his (Udeze's) year. Which of course turned out to be the case on a pivotless D1 team, as Shocker fans noted during the course of a banner season, something which GGG never achieved (again, per the article).
                              Last edited by ShockingButTrue; July 8, 2021, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• That was a great piece, and it should be noted (if it hasn't been already) it made the front page main headline on the Athletic. GREAT exposure for a great story and team.

Comment

Working...
                                X