Wichita State vs. Memphis Game Thread 1-21-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    I don’t remember years past, but I don’t remember shooting so many blanks. We probably did but this team should be a decent shooting team, and we w/o looking at the stats because it would be depressing, I would venture we shot no better than 20% from three. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we missed everything (rim and board) 30% of the time. Our shooting was so bad, I don’t remember a game so bad, and we’ve had a couple of bad shooting teams recently.
    8.7 percent from 3. Not going to win shooting that number. We also shot 55 percent from the free throw line. Pitiful but we have to forget it and get ready for Cincinnati next week. A must win game if we want to finish in the top 3 in conference.

Comment

• 1. on ESPN2 for all to see. Not good
      2. We played scared
      3. We shot scared
      4. We made two 3's. Both of them were good shots
      5. at least half of our 3's were not
      6. Yelling at them would not have helped
      7. Mo not gonna be player of the week
      8. Needed to sub him out about at the 14th dunk
      9. Porter not strong enough
      10. Quinones was a beast

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post

8.7 percent from 3. Not going to win shooting that number. We also shot 55 percent from the free throw line. Pitiful but we have to forget it and get ready for Cincinnati next week. A must win game if we want to finish in the top 3 in conference.
        So do you have the statistics on how many of those shots were airballs? It had to be a high percentage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

So do you have the statistics on how many of those shots were airballs? It had to be a high percentage.
          I believe Taylor said 7 in his article breaking down the game
          Last edited by mattdalt; January 22, 2021, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• This was one of my only chances to see them play due to various reasons. Yikes. They seemed to be playing well going into this one...is the offense always that stagnant??

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

That's pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

The dog in this gif is named Shockernet ...

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Sticking with my pre-season motto..."Not too high, not too low."

This was one game (a very poor game by the Shocks), but I still believe the Shox are outperforming my expectation both on the season and on this tough stretch to open AAC play.

Memphis is not a good matchup for the Shox this year. They can just give the ball to Cisse every time and there is nobody on the Shox roster that can hang with that.

Comment

• I didn't have the pleasure of watching the loss against Memphis, but I did watch the YouTube highlights. I still can't believe how athletic and skilled we look. Maybe it's an alternate perception w/ all the Covid stuff, but guys like Ricky Council have eluded us for years. And some of our guards can break ankles like they're made of silly putty. Tyrone Shoelace, eat your heart out!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

The dog in this gif is named Shockernet ...

This video reiterates one truth: dogs are the ****ing best!

Gets smoked and then comes back w/ tail wagging...

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                        Sticking with my pre-season motto..."Not too high, not too low."

This was one game (a very poor game by the Shocks), but I still believe the Shox are outperforming my expectation both on the season and on this tough stretch to open AAC play.

Memphis is not a good matchup for the Shox this year. They can just give the ball to Cisse every time and there is nobody on the Shox roster that can hang with that.
                        I think we could have hung with Cisse. I have seen Cisse in a number of games. The guy can't shoot. We just needed our bigs to stay between him and the basket and force him to shoot. But he didn't have to shoot in our game. He dunked all night and shot layups because our guards could not stop their penetration.. I gurantee you he will not score like he did against us when he plays Houston. There is a reason Memphis has the number of losses they have. Basketball IQ is underrated.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                          I didn't have the pleasure of watching the loss against Memphis, but I did watch the YouTube highlights. I still can't believe how athletic and skilled we look. Maybe it's an alternate perception w/ all the Covid stuff, but guys like Ricky Council have eluded us for years. And some of our guards can break ankles like they're made of silly putty. Tyrone Shoelace, eat your heart out!
                          HCGM did a good job recruiting AAC level athletes to replace some MVC level transfers. I agree. Definitely an athletic upgrade from previous years.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

I think we could have hung with Cisse. I have seen Cisse in a number of games. The guy can't shoot. We just needed our bigs to stay between him and the basket and force him to shoot. But he didn't have to shoot in our game. He dunked all night and shot layups because our guards could not stop their penetration.. I gurantee you he will not score like he did against us when he plays Houston. There is a reason Memphis has the number of losses they have. Basketball IQ is underrated.
                            That’s my point, we don’t have a big talented enough defensively yet to force someone like him out of the paint or away from the basket. It’s becoming a glaring weakness.

Comment

That’s my point, we don’t have a big talented enough defensively yet to force someone like him out of the paint or away from the basket. It’s becoming a glaring weakness.
                              I think we do have enough bigs to stop him. He did not score much in the first half. He scored 4-4 on dunks when we let Alo drive to the cup crazy in the second half. Hope our guys learned something and play better in Wichita. Stop the penetration first and let's see what he can do.

Comment

Sticking with my pre-season motto..."Not too high, not too low."

They didn’t “give the ball to Cisse” everytime in the sense that he had an array of amazing moves in the post. He screened for his guards and they assisted him for dunks and layups. He played the role of the modern big man well. From our guards to our post and the helpers behind them we didn’t guard ball screens anywhere near well enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X