Gal Mekel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shox7
    Royal, I was at a meeting prior to the LSU game where CGM was the guest speaker for about 100 people. He talked at length about Gal. To quote him he said Gal is not a point guard. He said Gal is not a 2 guard. He said Gal was a "fullback" in basketball shorts. He said currently he is our best backup to Matt. He said repeatedly that he is on Gal very hard about his poor decison making, shot selection and overall lack of playing in the system. He urged everyone to "to be patient" and that we will have very good group of guards come in next year.

He spoke in glowing terms about Matt! His comments about Gal were more about his frustration with Gal not following his coaching direction.
    Nice to have a coach who speaks his mind, so you know what he really thinks. I just hope the players don't have thin skins...or access to ShockerNet.

Comment

Gal appears to be "lurching" on his shot. It does not look normal at all.

Comment

Gal frustrates me. I posted several weeks ago that it seems to me that Gal has a great desire to be a leader and a playmaker on this team, but that his ability does not appear to match his desire. Gal seems to want to have the ball in his hands in pressure situations, but good often fails to come of it. Witness the end of each half yesterday.

Is this Gal's fault? I don't know. Sometimes it probably is (based on the coach's on court reactions) and other times (and last night may be an example) it may be that other players don't run the play properly, leaving Gal as the only option. If you have the ball in your hands there, I guess you have to take the shot. But is that who the coaches want taking the shot?

I do have concerns with his coachability and "learning curve." Marshall mentioned last night that "sometimes he forgets to box out." If anyone saw Marshall's reaction to that, and Marshall's comment later, it would seem this is been an extremely important point in practices that just isn't sinking in. Sort of like the palming deal a few weeks ago. Of course, that has gotten better, and perhaps the other things will as well. He is a young player. I know that MT was extremely frustrated with him last year as well.

I hadn't heard any 'that's just the way I play' comments. If he said such things, I think that would be a real mistake.

I agree his shot looks different. And awkward. I don't know what the deal is there. He shot pretty decent the first few games, as I recall.

I hope no player or coach reads Shockernet.
        Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
          Originally posted by t7017s
          Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
          I'm still waiting for an answer to a question I raised earlier. Why do you dislike Gal?
          I don't dislike Gal or any Shocker player.. at least not personally.
          I don't think there is much point in conversing with you because I don't believe you are being honest. If SN had an "ignore" option, I would use it on you.
          Ok.. now I'm starting to get flucking pissed. You don't know me. When I say it's nothing personal, I mean it. Why would I dislike him personally? Honestly? What do you think I personally don't like about him? What are you implying since you think you know everything inside my head?

I don't need you telling me things I'm not thinking.

Here's a simple thought. Since there's no ignore button, when you see my name appear, just skim right on past my post and don't flucking read it. How's that for ya?

It's sad that you've lost so much credibility for yourself all because you think I have some 'personal issue' with Gal, because I haven't listed any basketball-related reasons on why I don't like some of the things he does... yaaa. okkk..

I suppose you're the kind of guy that has <3'ed Rick Conn and Patrice Scott and K.C. Hunt and Phil Mendelsen all because you're blind and they can do no wrong because they wear the yellow and black.

I honestly can say I've lost respect for you as a poster.
          I dont think the issue is you having any sort of personal feelings about gal at all. But you did start this topic to essentially argue with anyone that wanted to argue about gal. That comes off as having a personal agenda which in turn can seem as if you do have something personal with gal. Now i dont know or care what your intent with this thread is I'm just pointing out how it comes off to me. I have no interest in argueing this subject or even talking about it with anyone on here because we all have our feelings and opinions and not one of us is going to change anothers feelings or opinions so... I guess id just share how it comes across to me and maybe others as well for the sake of everyone just calming down.
          This thread's sole purpose was to inquire about the views of the fans who constantly defend Gal for everything he does wrong and who bashed me before last night's game because I pointed out how badly Gal has been struggling. Last night, proved some of my points to some extent. Gal did keep his TO's down, but as boyshocker mentioned, his bad shot selection at times cancels it out and is just like a TO.

People have thus been pissed because they're getting proved wrong and have no counter other than to call me out for things that are not true. That's satisfaction for them. I personally think they've lost some screws in the head.
          See your the one that seems pissed to me. Your going further than "inquiring about views of the fans who constantly defend gal for everything he does wrong" You have an agenda and its less about gal it seems and more about taking it at the people who dont share your opinions. Your clearly bent and just want to fight. Your clearly not seperating your emotions of others who dont share your opinions from the views at hand like you claim. It sure looks like your out to bash those that "bashed" you for differing opinions. What is it that you want exactly... People to say your right and they were wrong? Thats what it seems to me. Now like I said above I dont care one way or the other but I thought I would share how this comes off to me. But opinions are like a holes... I'm sure you know the rest of that saying. Anyways point being is that not everyone is going to agree with you and maybe its just better if those in this skirmish can agree to disagree instead of getting "flucking pissed".

Comment

I'm still waiting for an answer to a question I raised earlier. Why do you dislike Gal?
            I don't think there is much point in conversing with you because I don't believe you are being honest. If SN had an "ignore" option, I would use it on you.
            Ok.. now I'm starting to get pissed. You don't know me. When I say it's nothing personal, I mean it. Why would I dislike him personally? Honestly? What do you think I personally don't like about him? What are you implying since you think you know everything inside my head?

Here's a simple thought. Since there's no ignore button, when you see my name appear, just skim right on past my post and don't read it. How's that for ya?

It's sad that you've lost so much credibility for yourself all because you think I have some 'personal issue' with Gal, because I haven't listed any basketball-related reasons on why I don't like some of the things he does... yaaa. okkk..

I suppose you're the kind of guy that has <3'ed Rick Conn and Patrice Scott and K.C. Hunt and Phil Mendelsen all because you're blind and they can do no wrong because they wear the yellow and black.

I can honestly say. if you dont want some flack dont go ripping on our players without making a sound argument about them none of this holds water. ur just a bitter fan looking for a scapegoat for our TEAMS loses.
            "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
            CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s
              Ok.. now I'm starting to get flucking pissed. You don't know me. When I say it's nothing personal, I mean it. Why would I dislike him personally? Honestly? What do you think I personally don't like about him? What are you implying since you think you know everything inside my head?

Here's a simple thought. Since there's no ignore button, when you see my name appear, just skim right on past my post and don't flucking read it. How's that for ya?

I dont think the issue is you having any sort of personal feelings about gal at all. But you did start this topic to essentially argue with anyone that wanted to argue about gal. That comes off as having a personal agenda which in turn can seem as if you do have something personal with gal. Now i dont know or care what your intent with this thread is I'm just pointing out how it comes off to me. I have no interest in argueing this subject or even talking about it with anyone on here because we all have our feelings and opinions and not one of us is going to change anothers feelings or opinions so... I guess id just share how it comes across to me and maybe others as well for the sake of everyone just calming down.
              This thread's sole purpose was to inquire about the views of the fans who constantly defend Gal for everything he does wrong and who bashed me before last night's game because I pointed out how badly Gal has been struggling. Last night, proved some of my points to some extent. Gal did keep his TO's down, but as boyshocker mentioned, his bad shot selection at times cancels it out and is just like a TO.

People have thus been pissed because they're getting proved wrong and have no counter other than to call me out for things that are not true. That's satisfaction for them. I personally think they've lost some screws in

the head.
              I question matts shots selection.
              Lets start a thread and bash him.
              he passed the ball into the hands of a drake defender twice
              lets start a thread and bash him and blame him for our loses.
              Matt runs the clock down to 4 seconds and thorws up some crazy shot
              lets start a thread and bash him and blame him for our loses.
              matt waits 10 seconds to cross halfcourt everytime
              lets start a thread and bash him.
              Phil cant catch a freaking pass.
              Lets blame gal....

All of your complaints could be said about our other players.
              yet to make you feel better about our team you blame it all on gal.
              "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
              CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

I don't Gal deserves the bashing some have imposed on him, he is doing the best that he can. It's just that we all have such high hopes on him as we all recognize the potential in him to become an outstanding player.

Being in the stands is not the view as being on the court, try it sometime.

Comment

You're all wasting your time. I've said this since the first game of the year. I also said Gal's shot selection is the same as a TO, but I almost got tossed off of SN for those comments. Be careful, because you can't be critical of any Shocker player on this forum, especially Mekel, or you will be attacked without reason. I truthfully hope he does well, but the guy is not a PG. He should really be a 7 or 8 man coming off the bench. The sad part is that we just don't have anybody else to play in his place. In Gal's defense, it isn't his fault he is playing so much. It's Turg's. Simple as that. Now grow up and accept that Gal has some flaws on the court.

Comment

Originally posted by tolduso
                    You're all wasting your time. I've said this since .
                    Isn't it funny we see the same thing said over and over again by certain people. It's like they are afraid nobody is paying them any attention - I wonder why that is?

Comment

^^ I was going to say "How is this thread still going on?" but then I saw your reply and that basically explains that.

Comment

Personally, I think Gal looks good when he's not at the point, like when Matt or Bret brings the ball up....
                        Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                        Students > Alumni
                        If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                        The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

I think he's just trying to get banned. Otherwise he'd let it go.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by RipEmUpShox
                            I can honestly say. if you dont want some flack dont go ripping on our players without making a sound argument about them none of this holds water. ur just a bitter fan looking for a scapegoat for our TEAMS loses.
                            What's the matter? Can't call me an idiot out in the open? You have to be a little girly girl and PM me a message calling me an idiot? What a Nancy.

I could care less about getting 'flack'. I wasn't 'ripping' on Gal. I was pointing out his not-so-hot characteristics. And you being his mom, got your panty hos all bundled up and started crying bloody murder because everything that's said here has to be heavenly and perfect, and seen through golden glasses.

Ya, I definitely said Gal is the reason for our team losing... :roll: You're a tool. I bet you haven't read a single post in this thread other than the first one. Doesn't surprise me though seeing how your reading comp skills are probably hovering around zero.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

SF,

I haven't read this entire thread, nor am I going to, but you said in the post that Gal is the reason we are losing.

I am curious if you say that because

A)He is not playing to his potential. IE we can win with him playing at a higher level.

B)He isn't good enough to win for us but it's the best option

or

C)He is neither good enough nor is he the best option. Someone else needs to be taking the lion's share of his minutes.

Honestly, I am just curious and not looking to further the "fight". If your answer is indeed C then whom should be getting his minutes currently on the roster.

Comment

Doc, I think SF was being facetious and his point was that he had not posted that. But maybe I missed something.
                                Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Working...
                                X