Wichita State vs. #11 Houston Game Thread 1-6-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Either way, much of it is stupid. He's not a good enough outside shooter to shoot as much as he does. He's much better breaking things down and getting in the paint. However, sometimes he decides that's what he's going to do and sticks with it no matter what, which leads to over dribbling and typically turnovers. He needs to play smarter and pick his spots.
    Basketball IQ is underrated.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

I get it. I didn't mean to throw shade your way, just that I like our chances next year.
      Nah, not at all. It’s all good. I’m an eternal optimist for better or worse. Very proud of this team though for fighting through adversity this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Either way, much of it is stupid. He's not a good enough outside shooter to shoot as much as he does. He's much better breaking things down and getting in the paint. However, sometimes he decides that's what he's going to do and sticks with it no matter what, which leads to over dribbling and typically turnovers. He needs to play smarter and pick his spots.
        That’s where coaching comes into play.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by DJShocker10 View Post
          Anyone see any reason why we moved DD off Grimes in the second half? Seemed like we had a pretty good thing going there. But what do I know? I can’t be too upset with this outcome, but that game was extremely winnable. Oh well.
          I noticed it when Grimes hit back to back shots on RC4, not sure how long he guarded him because he was subbed out for Wade right after. The only thing I can think of is he was tired and IB was trying to rest him for the end of the game, but IDK.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

That’s where coaching comes into play.
            Certainly does. I’m not anti IB but he needs to prove more than just “we play hard”

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
              Houston is a solid basketball team and I hope for the sake of the conference they make a deep run in the NCAAT this year. Dexter Dennis played his best game of the year for WSU while Alterique Gilbert probably played his worst. Hopefully Dex keeps playing like that and AG returns to his usual form. I know there were too many (frustrating) offensive rebounds but I actually think WSU did a pretty good job on the glass? Not sure if others agree with that. Mo Udeze struggled but Poor Bear, Wade, and Dennis were actually solid on the glass.
              That is not nearly enough. He needs to be more of a facilitator, less trying to be "the man".

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Totally agree. I think IPBC played ok, but MU can shut up. He did nothing tonight. He played like a little scared girl.
                Possibly a reason why no one wanted to pick him up when he went into the transfer portal this summer?

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmyShockerFan View Post

I noticed it when Grimes hit back to back shots on RC4, not sure how long he guarded him because he was subbed out for Wade right after. The only thing I can think of is he was tired and IB was trying to rest him for the end of the game, but IDK.
                  I think if you watch the replay, DD and Trey were both on the bench when Grimes hit those two shots. They both subbed back in at that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                    We use our full lineup in the first half. Why not continue to use them throughout the 2nd half? Especially when AG and MU were terrible?

Edit...and i can add TW
                    Thinking the same thing...a little more Bilau in the second half. Also keep wondering where Seymour is in his development.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                      Well we’ve heard a lot of complimentary comments regarding IBs’s handling of his players, allowing them a lot of freedom in making plays. I’ve heard a couple of comments on SNet regarding Alterique Gilbert being selfish.

Question: Is it freedom to make plays or selfishness?
                      Freedom to make plays means allowing players to be creative, especially if they have the hot hand or are a known shooter. It doesn't mean driving to the hoop by yourself over and over and over and over and over and over and over (* inhale *) and over and over and over and over and over and over to the detriment of your team. If you're wondering, that was 13 "over"s, one for each attempt where he either missed a bucket or turned the ball over -- all to obtain 4 points on the night.
                      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• AG needs to shoot 3s when he’s stepping into the shot while receiving a pass or at the end of the shot. He also needs to drive so he can drive and dish. But he isn’t going to score 10-15 very often

Comment

• AG is now 9-36 from three on the year. By comparison RC4, C-Jack, Poor Bear and Jayden are a combined 14-30 combined on threes. OTOH Trey is 5-27 and the Wade brothers are a combined 6-33.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Freedom to make plays means allowing players to be creative, especially if they have the hot hand or are a known shooter. It doesn't mean driving to the hoop by yourself over and over and over and over and over and over and over (* inhale *) and over and over and over and over and over and over to the detriment of your team. If you're wondering, that was 13 "over"s, one for each attempt where he either missed a bucket or turned the ball over -- all to obtain 4 points on the night.
                            You are talking how to walk the line between freedom and discipline. To do that you have to discuss what a good shot is for each player and when that is a good shot. I know GM talked to them about that. I’m not sure if IB does. He’s described as a players coach.

Comment

• I was a huge fan of seeing Dex get aggressive. Might not always work out, but we need that energy at times.

Comment

• Looking at this game a week after GM left, you would have pencilled in a 20 point loss. Learning with wins is better than with losses, but we aren't the only team gonna lose there. The 2nd half was brutal offensively. Nothwithstanding the late garbage, this didn't really feel like a 20 point loss, but it really was a 20 point loss. We got stomped.

The score will say otherwise, but nothing came easy on offense, rebounding their misses was appauling, our shooting sucked and we lost our focus when we were up 10.

Now, that being said, our defense up until Houston shot was pretty good. We grabbed a lot of offensive boards ourselves, and we were able to make a game of it. So, there is a lot we can learn. We are a good team. We can compete for the conference. I think this was our toghest game of the year. If our toughest game really is a 7 point defecit.....

I think that bodes well.. They are #11.

I really like this team and see the arrow pointed up, for sure
                                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                                X