No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. USF Game Thread 12-22-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the coaching has been pretty good. Still early and we have 9 new players I believe. Time will tell and so far I’m pretty pleased with 4-2 and easily could have been 5-1. I like how these players are playing for Coach and it’s been pretty exciting so far....

Comment

• I’m impressed at the way they responded in the 2nd half and in OT.

I’m impressed at the way the members of the team are each showing their ability to contribute, hang together, and work through tough spots.

Zone was effective. It’s hard to rebound out of a zone, especially when you are already smaller.

There were some effort/D1 moments with running the floor, shooting ill-advised shots, etc.

They won. Winning on the road is hard. 2-0, I’ll take it.

Comment

• If you thought we'd have 7 transfers, including 3 starters, a new coach, start league play in the AAC with two road games against teams pickled to finish ahead of us, and be 2-0, I would welcome your comments.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockersx View Post
          Was tonight’s game or last year’s UConn game more stressful to watch?
          Tonight was pretty hard on me.

Comment

• I APOLOGIZE to all Shocker fans. I tuned in ESPN+ as USF was throwing the ball in down 5 with seconds left in regulation. Please know that I turned it off at the end of regulation. You’ welcome
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Huge WIN!!!!! 2-0 in conference play and both on the ROAD!!! The building blocks are there!

GO SHOCKS!!!!
              Last edited by AZ Shocker; December 22, 2020, 11:05 PM. Reason: Damn spell check.
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                I APOLOGIZE to all Shocker fans. I tuned in ESPN+ as USF was throwing the ball in down 5 with seconds left in regulation.
                Don’t ever do that again.

Comment

• Having created that adversity, the Shockers (4-2, 2-0 American Athletic Conference) immediately went about learning from the situation. The huddle stayed upbeat after regulation. Coaches told them to win the next five minutes and forget the final seconds of regulation.

Comment

• Comment

• Bob Hull had an interesting take on the pre game show. Talked about some of the things that have been plaguing the Shocks this year. Like transition defense, defense in general and rebounding/boxing out. The new guys are all either freshmen or Juco players. All have been used to being one of the baddest most athletic guy on their team. They never had to learn the fundamentals because they were more athletic than the guys they were playing against. Dodn't have to box out a guy because he could jump higher than the other guy. WSU would have had probably another 5 games played along with the film and practice associated with them. Tough to work on the fundamentals 4 0n 4 and limited practice time. He was after all a division one coach as well and he just sees this as a young team learning and improving game to game. As of right now they are playing like I hoped they would at this point but no way did I think they would be two road wins in at the start. Go Shocks

Comment

• For those worried about coaching... Gregg got his butt kicked at USF... some of tonight’s killer adjustments would not have occurred under HCGM.

Lots to like about the new guys. They are all pretty dynamic.

Comment

• More wins already than what Washington will likely have all year.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Two things that I felt really helped the win was the zone defense played in the 2nd half and IB's calling two successive time outs to "ice" the free throw shooter. Nice job.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockersx View Post
                              0 - Alterique has to be better. Protect the ball better, more under control, etc.
                              1 - Ricky > Dexter
                              2 - Bilau > Mo and Poor Bear
                              3 - Trey and Clarence are pretty much wildcards
                              4 - Liked Porter’s game a lot, but not the attempt at the Rondo layup
                              5 - Tyson is the man
                              6 - just go do 5 v 5 rebounding for 2 hours a day next week in practice
                              0 - He looks to me like he is trying to do too much. He has the most talent at PG that we have seen in almost five years though. He needs to let the game come to him and he’ll be fine.
                              1 - At this moment, I agree. Dexter is a better defender, but Ricky can dribble better in year one then Dexter can in year three. If Ricky can up his defense, he may (should) push Dex for starter minutes.
                              2 - Agreed. He offers athleticism and other skills that the other bigs either can’t do or haven’t displayed yet. He needs to start taking some of those two’s minutes,
                              3 - Very true. However, they offer something some players aren’t offering (or at least are offering as much), energy and effort. They get more rope from me.
                              4 - Glad someone else noticed Rondo’s fake behind the back move as well. Everything else the few possessions before that was fantastic though.
                              5 - No argument. One thing I think will correct is sometimes he rushes his shot. Once he does, watch out.
                              6 - Three drills they’d work on if I was HC: Lose Balls, Rebounding, and Sprinting Back on Defense.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

0 - He looks to me like he is trying to do too much. He has the most talent at PG that we have seen in almost five years though. He needs to let the game come to him and he’ll be fine.
                                1 - At this moment, I agree. Dexter is a better defender, but Ricky can dribble better in year one then Dexter can in year three. If Ricky can up his defense, he may (should) push Dex for starter minutes.
                                2 - Agreed. He offers athleticism and other skills that the other bigs either can’t do or haven’t displayed yet. He needs to start taking some of those two’s minutes,
                                3 - Very true. However, they offer something some players aren’t offering (or at least are offering as much), energy and effort. They get more rope from me.
                                4 - Glad someone else noticed Rondo’s fake behind the back move as well. Everything else the few possessions before that was fantastic though.
                                5 - No argument. One thing I think will correct is sometimes he rushes his shot. Once he does, watch out.
                                6 - Three drills they’d work on if I was HC: Lose Balls, Rebounding, and Sprinting Back on Defense.
                                I think we’re in agreement on all fronts, my friend

Comment

Working...
                                X