Isaac Brown Named Interim Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

You nailed that one. Sometimes a "player's coach" works out better as an assistant than as a HC. Everything I see says that IB strives to get the best out of players by encouraging, rather than intimidating. That might be a welcome change for those returning that they just might bust their butts like never before.

Scott Thompson was a "nice guy" coach, and that didn't work out well. The ability to "audition" IB through a shortened season is a great opportunity to make an informed decision. With a pre-season pick of 7th, with Marshall coaching, we've got a reasonable measure for gauging IB's ability as the HC.
    Agreed. Although it was nice to hear him say that he wants to be a players coach and he's all about the players but now that he is the head guy he needs to make sure they understand that it's about winning. Basically, I got that he was saying that he understands he has to change his mind set somewhat as the head guy. Seems like a smart and capable guy. Results on the floor will have to translate though because the talent certainly appears to be there.

Comment

• All we know right now is that the players like him. We have no clue how he is with X’s and O’s or how he handles in game strategies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        All we know right now is that the players like him. We have no clue how he is with X’s and O’s or how he handles in game strategies.
        Well.. we have a rough a idea about game planning at least. Marshall credited him multiple times with coming up with great game plans. So hopefully that's a good start

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Well.. we have a rough a idea about game planning at least. Marshall credited him multiple times with coming up with great game plans. So hopefully that's a good start
          That's true. In game adjustments and managing his roster and lineups are an unknown. OTOH, 3G's in game adjustments or lack thereof were often criticized on ShockerNet. So we'll see how it goes. On thing we do know, a coach will never totally satisfy every fans expectations.

Comment

• If he ever calls a timeout to stop a run, this place will explode.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

If he ever calls a timeout to stop a run, this place will explode.
              I think you are simplify calling timeouts. A team has 4 timeouts to use during a game. They have one that they lose if they don’t use it by halftime. I’ve seen many coaches use their timeouts and lose a game because they need a timeout and don’t have one at the end. Then you will raise hell against that coach for losing. You win either way because the coach loses the game, but it’s a difficult decision for a coach.

Marshall actually called more timeouts earlier in NCAA games but he wasn’t perfect either.

Comment

• Didn't we take all the unused timeouts from last year to the counter for some Chinese fingercuffs though?
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Timeouts are overrated.

Comment

You nailed that one. Sometimes a "player's coach" works out better as an assistant than as a HC. Everything I see says that IB strives to get the best out of players by encouraging, rather than intimidating. That might be a welcome change for those returning that they just might bust their butts like never before.

Scott Thompson was a "nice guy" coach, and that didn't work out well. The ability to "audition" IB through a shortened season is a great opportunity to make an informed decision. With a pre-season pick of 7th, with Marshall coaching, we've got a reasonable measure for gauging IB's ability as the HC.
                    I think it takes different methods for different players. A nice guy will work for some but not all. Somewhere he has to pull out the mean coach from his inner self when needed.

Comment

• HCIB family information - married - children

Comment

• Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post
                        HCIB family information - married - children
                        I don't know for sure but since there is no mention of family in his Wichita State bio I presume he is currently a single man with no children.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                          I'm hearing from sources at CBS Sports and The Athletic that Seth Davis plans to tweet that the new assistant coach will be one of Thad Matta's former assistants. They're just not sure if Seth will be able to pull it off by the end of the week still. :)
                          The new assistant has not coached at Butler, Xavier, or Ohio State.

He did beat us as a coach at Creighton.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

The new assistant has not coached at Butler, Xavier, or Ohio State.

He did beat us as a coach at Creighton.
                            We pulling drake's head coach to be an assistant?

Comment

Not a check.

Comment

No
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X