Isaac Brown Named Interim Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
    Was there any visionary thinking on WSU's part bringing in Billy Kennedy to be here for a year to assist and observe before giving him the reins? Might be a reach, IDK.
    No. He would have been made head coach if that were the case. He might have been offered that too, but idk.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
      No. He would have been made head coach if that were the case. He might have been offered that too, but idk.
      IB was already announced as the interim head coach when Kennedy came on board. That would have been a "Cold Blood"ed move.

Comment

IB was already announced as the interim head coach when Kennedy came on board. That would have been a "Cold Blood"ed move.
        There were whispers about WSU being in talks with someone as HC well before Gregg was resigned.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Was there any visionary thinking on WSU's part bringing in Billy Kennedy to be here for a year to assist and observe before giving him the reins? Might be a reach, IDK.
          I think that's within the realm of possibilities. I think Billy would be a more likely candidate to take over as the head coach than IHCIB being installed as the head coach. Assuming the players are comfortable with BK and assuming he retains IHCIB as his top assistant I think that would give the Shocks a good chance of minimizing any player turnover next year.

Now whether or not that is the best long-term choice might be debatable. Billy's record is decent but not necessarily world beating. Then there is Billy's Parkinson's which may or may not be an issue.

It could be that WSU just wasn't ready to lock in a new coach at this point and wanted to take a more considered approach that allows them to take more time in working through this and evaluating their options. They may have some work to do as well getting the big donors back on the bandwagon.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 6, 2020, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

I like black athletes. They on average are quicker (muscle fiber composition), jump higher (advantageous leverage/attachment points), and have longer arms and bigger hands (natural selection). Those four things are like using a cheat code for basketball. I like edges; call me kooky.
            Jimmy the Greek has returned

Comment

• Originally posted by sssss1122
              There was once a blind man who had so fine a sense of touch that, when any animal was put into his hands, he could tell what it was merely by the feel of it. One day the cub of a wolf was put into his hands, and he was asked what it was. He felt it for some time, and then said, "Indeed, I am not sure whether it is a wolf's cub or a fox's: but this I know -- it would never do to trust it in a sheepfold."
              Evil tendencies are early shown.
              That is really insightful, and quite ironic.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I think that's within the realm of possibilities. I think Billy would be a more likely candidate to take over as the head coach than IHCIB being installed as the head coach. Assuming the players are comfortable with BK and assuming he retains IHCIB as his top assistant I think that would give the Shocks a good chance of minimizing any player turnover next year.

Now whether or not that is the best long-term choice might be debatable. Billy's record is decent but not necessarily world beating. Then there is Billy's Parkinson's which may or may not be an issue.

It could be that WSU just wasn't ready to lock in a new coach at this point and wanted to take a more considered approach that allows them to take more time in working through this and evaluating their options. They may have some work to do as well getting the big donors back on the bandwagon.
                WSU has screwed itself with this Marshall issue. However or whoever made this decision still seems ominous. Brown though is short-handed right now much like Marshall's 1st year. And I still haven't ruled out that at full strength this team might be good. But the 90's could just as easily be repeating.
                Phi Alpha

Comment

• I like IB, but I don’t see him being the HC going forward, whether or not this season is semi successful or not.
                  The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

I like black athletes. They on average are quicker (muscle fiber composition), jump higher (advantageous leverage/attachment points), and have longer arms and bigger hands (natural selection). Those four things are like using a cheat code for basketball. I like edges; call me kooky.
                    What's the name of Al Gore's book?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

The presentation was weaker than the basic argument. There were breeding programs in the USA that concentrated on producing bigger and stronger Black people from the 1600's to the 1800's. The same thing didn't happen to white people, so today there are more bigger, stronger and (incidentally) more athletic Black people than White people.

Those bigger, stronger, faster people make better basketball players. There are big, strong, and fast White players, but they are less frequent in their ethnic population and tend to be recruited by the bluebloods.

Cold only thought his post was controversial. I just pointed out how slavery produced today's superior Black athletes. That's going to go over great with a bunch of posters.
                      What???
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• As for IB, I am going to wait and see what happens after we get ALL our scholarship players back and the team has a few more games to play together.

The last few years of the Marshall era were like this (we lost a few games early on to Power 5 teams), and it was primarily due to the transfer out issues we had the last couple of years. Most of these guys have not played together, so it will take a little while to develop chemistry.

I saw some glimmers yesterday, but I think this team will have a lot of work to do if they don't want to be a middle of the pack team in the American.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I saw some glimmers yesterday, but I think this team will have a lot of work to do if they don't want to be a middle of the pack team in the American.
                          Hell, that's what I am HOPING for

Comment

• Trying to combat the amount of stupid on Shockernet is like the cartoon character trying to plug all the holes in the sinking ship. As soon as you stop one another leak bursts.

Seriously, some of you sound like you’re 12 years old and have never known anything but undefeated seasons and final fours.

We are two games into the season. Two. Games.

We have played/practiced with eight guys. Eight. Guys.

Relax.

Comment

• I think we're finding out that a good bulk of posters here came on board during the Marshall period. They weren't around for the 90's and the Turgeon era. It's interesting to see how people react with their first taste of adversity.

Comment

• I think a 5th place finish in the American gets IB the job.

Comment

Working...
                                X