No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fogler was the first "at this level" coach.
    Dominance is a state of mind.

Comment

• The Wichita State men’s basketball program looked to be in a dark place when it had six players transfer at the end of the spring 2020 semester and had their all-time winningest coach resign right before the start of a new season. But since Interim Head Coach Isaac Brown took over, WSU has been able...

Comment

• Well, IHCIB is a fantastic turn from HCGM (whom I adore). He has a different style about him, and it if works, is much more palatable than Marshall’s style.

He can coach! If the powers that be feel he can recruit, then I’m on board!

Love me some Chris Jans! Would be ecstatic if we hired him. I will almost certainly be disappointed if we get someone besides one of these two.

For me, the bottom line is that we are in a MUCH better place than we were 3 months ago, and that is all on HCIB!
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
          Not sure how we would look if Brown is named AAC COY and we send him packing to his new job at Illinois State. Would we look smart?
          Look at it another way- should we be battling the likes of Illinois State for a head coach?
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by lostshocker View Post

No, it is not. You are trying way too hard to discredit Brown. That story shows he has skills he can pass on to other coaches. As for your grooming comments, you rarely groom someone to take over for you unless you are at the end of your career. A major component of a coach's legacy is his coaching tree. Marshall would have been grooming him to take a different job and as has been stated in this thread, Brown has had opportunities.

There may be numerous candidates better for the job but you dont have to disparage Brown to prop them up. Let their resumes show they are the better option.
              I’m not discrediting IB. He is higher on my list than some other options that have been tossed out there (Griffin). I’m just not willing to turn the program over permanently to an unproven coach.

The grooming comments were for those comparing him to Few, Dutcher, and Rhoades. Coaches like Few, Dutcher, and Jank are told they will be head coach, and groomed for the position.

Yes, Marshall develops coaches as well as players. How many coaches have become head coaches while IB has stayed? Why is that? I specifically said it wasn’t a red flag, just something to look at.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Every time people talk about him inheriting Marshall’s player, think about what that means. He inherited really 2 proven players, Dennis and Etienne. Dennis is not near the offensive player he has been, TE is off the charts good. I think Gilbert probably came here due to 3Gs track record with guards, but 3G had zero impact on AG’s development here so far.

IB did not take over with a full deck of proven players like past coaches had (Gary Thompson and Kevin Ollie keep getting mentioned). 3G’s first season had a depleted roster but one very good player, PJ Couisinard. How did that season turn out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  Every time people talk about him inheriting Marshall’s player, think about what that means. He inherited really 2 proven players, Dennis and Etienne. Dennis is not near the offensive player he has been, TE is off the charts good. I think Gilbert probably came here due to 3Gs track record with guards, but 3G had zero impact on AG’s development here so far.

IB did not take over with a full deck of proven players like past coaches had (Gary Thompson and Kevin Ollie keep getting mentioned). 3G’s first season had a depleted roster but one very good player, PJ Couisinard. How did that season turn out?
                  Turg left the cupboard very bare and took the best with him. Marshall had recruited hard. Very different situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Turg left the cupboard very bare and took the best with him. Marshall had recruited hard. Very different situations.
                    yes, and IB having to mold a bunch of new players together is very different than Gary Thompson and Kevin Ollie inheriting national powerhouses.

Comment

• I think it's obvious that one of Marshall's methods of dealing with mistakes was a vein-popping nose-to-nose ass-chewing in front of 10,000 people. What's coming out is that IB's approach is more to build them up rather than tear them down.
                      Last edited by Aargh; January 14, 2021, 08:57 PM.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        I think it's obvious that one of Marshall's methods of dealing with mistakes was a vein-popping nose-to-nose ass-chewing in front of 10,000 people. What's coming out is that IB's approach is more of to build them up rather than tear them down.
                        Gregg’s competitive spirit was both his blessing and his curse. Nobody would ever outwork Gregg...but his white-hot fire didn’t allow him to easily digest a chill pill.
                        78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          I think it's obvious that one of Marshall's methods of dealing with mistakes was a vein-popping nose-to-nose ass-chewing in front of 10,000 people. What's coming out is that IB's approach is more to build them up rather than tear them down.
                          I wonder if the players we have this year are solid citizens (not hotdogs who have to be stars) helps with that. We are lucky to have a great group of kids that respond to this. For example, does a Landers Nolley do better (playing on a team) when served sugar, or forced to down something that isn’t sweet?

Comment

• I firmly believe that one thing (not the only thing) that makes a head coach great is the staff he builds around him.

Obviously bringing in Billy Kennedy was brilliant. But i kinda figure him to be a one year deal. Just helping Brown out of a difficult situation. I could be wrong.

Will the other assistants be happy staying on under Brown or will they look elsewhere?

If Brown has to hire a completely new staff, how will that go? He has never had to do that before. Plus, the assistants do most of the recruiting. So putting the right staff together is crucial IMHO.

That's part of the risk of hiring a guy that doesn't have head coaching experience.

I understand this could be a risk with anyone we hire. But more of a risk with Brown vs a proven D1 head coach..

Now that isn't to say that Brown can't be that guy. I am thoroughly impressed with what he has done so far. He has climbed up further on the list for me. And at the end of the season he may be the guy i want the most. We will see.

Obviously if Brown isn't the guy, we will likely see a massive amount of transfers. Which would suck for the short term at least. But the right coach can right the ship fairly quickly.

There will be a ton of factors in making the best decision and I just hope the powers that be make the decision that is best for SUSTAINED success. If that is coach Brown, then so be it and I will support him 100%.

No one can predict the future, there is always uncertainty. Just have to take the least risky path you can that still gives you a chance to remain competitive and relevant.
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

yes, and IB having to mold a bunch of new players together is very different than Gary Thompson and Kevin Ollie inheriting national powerhouses.
                              A lot of that was already done by the time IB took over

Comment

• I think if Brown is named HCIB that the staff stays the same. Assistants are on one-year contracts, so they'd have to find another school looking for assistants, work for a new boss, work with different players. It's so much easier to stay in the current situation.

I think Kennedy would stick around if the $$ were right - more than the $80K or so he's getting now, but < $200K. That's bargain basement $$ for a successful high-level D1 coach on the bench. Only my opinion (guess), but maybe he doesn't want the responsibilities of a HC with his medical condition, but can be effective working with a coach where he has some long-term connections.

Gudino might want to rejoin Jans. Waterman has been a better than expected recruiter. Kennedy certainly has some recruiting chops. If Gudino leaves, the Shox could (I said COULD) take a shot on an unknown with great BBIQ and NBA experience. Ron Baker comes to mind.

I believe I have just clearly demonstrated why I contribute my ideas to message boards instead of contributing my ideas to athletic departments. Baker might be better as a grad assistant and get his Masters in Sports Admin that way.
                                Last edited by Aargh; January 15, 2021, 12:49 AM.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X