Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

If 12 years in several programs and then 7 years working with Marshall is not being groomed to replace Marshall, then what would you consider being groomed to take over for Marshall?
    A public, intentional training to successfully take over a program over a long period of time.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      I am going to tell a story. This has zero effect on whether the rest of the season turns out good or whether I think IB should be our coach. I am telling it because it was eye opening to me of his abilities as an assistant.

When we played Detroit a few years ago there, I was fortunate enough to sit in on our practice the day before, in which IB had the scout for Detroit. I watched him use Zach Bush in the role of Juwan Howard Jr. where he trailed the play and shot threes from the top of the key. I watched him switch defenses like Detroit and run their press offense. The bad part about it was the walk ons and scout players were beating the regulars in the controlled scrimmage. I knew then we would struggle the next day, which we did. However, I think we learned enough from practice that allowed us to come from behind and win. That scout was perfect. He was so well prepared that he essentially had our walk-ons running their offense better than Detroit. I knew at that point how valuable he was and was damned glad to have him on staff.
      And that is exactly why he is the consummate assistant. He would not be able to do that as a head coach.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Good point, but there is a downside. With the year the Shox are having, and we hire Jans, IB is CERTAIN to get some great offers and he will get a decent HC job somewhere - and possibly take Etienne, Council, and Jackson with him.
        I doubt players will follow him. If they do it’s because they made a weak hire. I do think IB is a better hire than a weak hire. He just isn’t my top choice no matter where he finishes because he has not shown he can do it consistently.

I would be in favor of IB over griffin, fwiw.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

Yeah, I agree. What in the world does "grooming to take over" mean anyway?
          It means that HC duties are slowly given to the new coach while the HC basically does quality control. It affords the coach being groomed the ability to make mistakes without impacting the team.

Comment

• I think Gregg Marshall’s excellent talent evaluation extended to those he hired as assistants.

How many of his former assistants who went on to become head coaches have been unsuccessful?
            Last edited by pie n eye; January 14, 2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

And that is exactly why he is the consummate assistant. He would not be able to do that as a head coach.
              No, it is not. You are trying way too hard to discredit Brown. That story shows he has skills he can pass on to other coaches. As for your grooming comments, you rarely groom someone to take over for you unless you are at the end of your career. A major component of a coach's legacy is his coaching tree. Marshall would have been grooming him to take a different job and as has been stated in this thread, Brown has had opportunities.

There may be numerous candidates better for the job but you dont have to disparage Brown to prop them up. Let their resumes show they are the better option.

Comment

It means that HC duties are slowly given to the new coach while the HC basically does quality control. It affords the coach being groomed the ability to make mistakes without impacting the team.
                Who defines that? Other than a "public announcement" how is anyone other than the HC and the AC in on the process? Summary: who says this is happening one place but not another? What duties are given on what time line? It all seems pretty vague and arbitrary, which suggests it could've been happening here.
                From what I can tell, those AC's hired as future HC's are filling a role, usually justifying hiring an experienced name who is old (yeah, he'll only coach 3 years cause he's 75, but we'll have X to replace him!) or a coach is close to retirement and they want the recruiting trail to stay flowing, so a future HC is named for recruits to feel comfortable.

Comment

I doubt players will follow him. If they do it’s because they made a weak hire. I do think IB is a better hire than a weak hire. He just isn’t my top choice no matter where he finishes because he has not shown he can do it consistently.

I would be in favor of IB over griffin, fwiw.
                  I agree, but perhaps for a different rationale. IB would likely go to a "lesser" program, like a MVC school. I don't know if any of our current roster would defect to join him there, unless it was REALLY weak.

Comment

• Not sure how we would look if Brown is named AAC COY and we send him packing to his new job at Illinois State. Would we look smart?

Comment

• Leave all options open as long as you can. No one is hiring IB mid-season, nor would WSU be doing the same.
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                        Not sure how we would look if Brown is named AAC COY and we send him packing to his new job at Illinois State. Would we look smart?
                        Ugh. I would hate for IB to be the CTBNL in the Gene Smithson trade.

Comment

• I was not in favor of getting rid of Marshall and still do not like how disloyal our school was to someone who was nothing but loyal.
                          But he is gone and now for the future.

I did not expect us to do so well under an interim coach. Is this like Gary Thompson inheriting Ralph Miller's players and winning for a few years?
                          Or whoever came after Gene Smithson?
                          Can the new coach compete successfully year after year?

As to ICIB, don't know yet.

But I like what I see so far.
                          He doesn't yell at the players after every mistake. They are not looking to the bench every time they toss up an early 3 or have a turnover.
                          I think this is good.
                          He can discipline them without forcing the joy of the game out of them. and it appears he is doing just that.

Obviously, we wait until later in the year, even the offseason.

Marshall has groomed many a successful coach and there is no reason to believe Isaac Brown is not the next one in the line.
                          I would have no problem sticking with him if he gets us to the Big Dance, top 1/3 of the conference, gets us to the champioinship game of the conference tournament, or more than one of these.

It appears Mr. Brown is a good recruiter, but he recruited them and Marshall closed them. Can he do the entire job? Don't know.

So far I am very happy and am rooting for Coach Brown to force us to give him the job

Comment

• Fogler came after Smithson. Definitely a good coach, but not great. I'm not convinced of his recruiting prowess.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                              Fogler came after Smithson. Definitely a good coach, but not great. I'm not convinced of his recruiting prowess.
                              Eddie. We hardly knew yee.

Comment

• NM

Comment

Working...
                                X