Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    Don't shoot the messenger...

Honestly, the only person on that list who is definitely not someone I'm interested in is Kyle Lindsted. I like Kyle a lot, but there is no universe in which he should be the next head coach at WSU.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Jesus, Chris Jans is only making $290k.

What universe are we in where Gregg Marshall gets fired in 2020 and Chris Jans isn't being announced as head coach tomorrow.

Offer him $1.5M with 100k yearly raises... RIGHT. ****ING. NOW. He won't even pack his toothbrush. Might forget he has a family.

Please do this.

****edit: he makes 500K****

Still... make him a millionaire.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
        Jesus, Chris Jans is only making $290k.

What universe are we in where Gregg Marshall gets fired in 2020 and Chris Jans isn't being announced as head coach tomorrow.

Offer him $1.5M with 100k yearly raises... RIGHT. ****ING. NOW. He won't even pack his toothbrush. Might forget he has a family.

Please do this.

That would be a bad look to leave your job and the players you recruited one week before the season starts. I highly doubt Jans would even consider that but obviously I don’t know for certain.

Brown will be fine, hopefully more than fine, this year given the circumstances.

It’s not realistic or smart to hire a new coach a week before the season starts unless they’re a home run hire who is available and willing. I don’t think Jans is either of those things right now. In April? That would possibly be another story.

Comment

• What about the guy at Texas who they don’t seem too happy with?

Comment

• Let’s just hire the next Brad Stevens and call it a day, aye chaps?

Comment

Pitino - Won't happen. Too much baggage.
              Keller - Too unproven
              Lindsted - See Keller
              Beilen - Maybe if interested
              Matta - Already said he has no interest
              That’s a terrible list that was tossed out with zero thought or credibility.

Comment

Pitino - Won't happen. Too much baggage.
                Keller - Too unproven
                Lindsted - See Keller
                Beilen - Maybe if interested
                Matta - Already said he has no interest
                Sometimes saying you have no interest is the last step before signing...

Comment

• Jans has to be choice 1a, 1b, and 1c. I agree with the post above, I'm not sure if Jans would leave his current job one week before the season starts, so probably not a realistic option for an immediate hire. That's not a real good look.

I didn't do the research, but if I'm not mistaken, the two years that all this stuff went down may have been the two years that Jans was gone at Bowling Green.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

Sometimes saying you have no interest is the last step before signing...
                    Nick Saban, would never!
                    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

I think one big difference between Griffin and Hardaway is that Griffin was an undrafted guy. He knows how to maximize talent, he did so in his personal career and as a coach. In that way, he's like Fred. He's not someone who has ever coasted on talent (no offense to Hardaway), and I don't think his coaching strategy would rely on scouring a talent bed like Memphis and getting a bunch of McDonald's All-Americans.

Penny was a National Player of the Year his senior year at Treadwell High, sat out a year at college for being academically ineligible, Player of the Year finalist his junior year at Memphis, and 3rd overall draft pick. He then played 13 years for 4 teams in the NBA as a 4x All-Star. Griffin was a solid high school player, but he wasn't seen as a top 50 prospect. He went a full four years at Seton Hall and got second team All Big-East his senior year. He went undrafted, played abroad for 3 years, and managed a workman's 12 year career in the NBA topping out as a starter for the Mavericks when they went to the Finals in 2006.

The latter resume may not be as attractive for a player, but to me it suggests a better fit for a coach. It is also worth noting that Griffin spent all his time as an assistant, and not as a shooting coach or front-office guy. Mark Price is the head coach of Charlotte but was mostly a shooting coach. Chris Mullin of St. John's never spent any time on the sidelines in the NBA. Eric Musselman of Arkansas (previously Nevada) is one guy that did mostly come from a coaching background (first job at 24), and was a legitimately coach for Nevada ("No coach in Nevada basketball history has done a better job of getting everything out of the talent on the roster. It might be the best coaching job in Wolf Pack hoops history."). Musselman did need to get his feet wet as an assistant first though.

Basically, to have it work I my theory is that you need someone that spent a lot of time on the sidelines and that wasn't just a star player. In fact, the more traditionally talented they were, I think the harder they'll find transitioning to coaching. I suspect that's true just as a generic rule. Most of the best CBB coaches weren't great players in their day. There is hardly an All-American among the roster of the elite.

Personally, the ideal scenario is bringing Griffin in for a year but that could be a very hostile environment having two coaches compete for the head spot.
                      If WSU isn't going to consider Chris Jans because he had too much to drink one night and patted a woman on the butt 5 years ago not sure they would have an appetite for a man who currently has a cloud of domestic violence allegations hanging over him especially after letting the schools all-time winningest coach go based on some dated and, at this point, less than clear allegations of physical abuse.

My 2 cents is I would prefer Chris over Adrian but who knows if either will even be in the mix.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 17, 2020, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• Jans

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

He obviously does not look at Shockernet too much. Otherwise, he would see that we are clearly screwed and bound for the abyss...
                          Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

I am of the opinion that if we want to have a prayer at maintaining our program at the current level, we need to be shopping in markets that require an offering starting salary of $2.5M.

If we go back to the $1.25M level, we'll be gambing. We could still do well, but if we truly are at "another level" we should be plucking star Mid-Major coaches who already make a million from places like the Valley, the A-10, or the Big Priest.
                            Can you provide a list of these "...star Mid-Major coaches who already make a million from places like the Valley, the A-10, or the Big Priest"? Info from the attached link:

John Brannen - Cincinnati - $1.5 million
                            Mike Rhoades - VCU - $1.5 million
                            T.J. Otzelberger – UNLV - $1.1 million
                            Joe Dooley – East Carolina - $925,000
                            Ben Jacobson - UNI - $900,000
                            Paul Weir - New Mexico - $775,000
                            Justin Hutson – Fresno State - $766,440
                            Nick McDevitt – Middle Tennessee - $750,000
                            Here's a database of college basketball coaches' salaries and buyouts for the 2019-20 season.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

That’s a terrible list that was tossed out with zero thought or credibility.

Listen to TheDrive for even worse ideas.

Comment

Jesus, Chris Jans is only making $290k.

Please do this.

Why is it I can't stand you in the Virus/Political forum but I love you in this one?

Comment

Working...
                                X