Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
    Seems like we are close to the top of the conference for something.......transfers. 22-8=14 over 4 seasons. That's an average of 3.5 per year (not counting 2020). If you count 2020, we are averaging right at 5 per year. All under the same coach, difference between where we are and the conference leader is that conference leader has had 3 coaches during the same time span.

https://thesunflower.com/52802/sport...at%20WSU%20has.
    "Teams throughout the American Athletic Conference have also been impacted by transfers but not quite to the point that WSU has. The closest transfer number to WSU’s was Tulsa University who had four players transfer out of the program.

After the recent news of the investigation in Gregg Marshall’s alleged misconduct, the number of transfers in recent history from WSU has stood out. The Shockers have had 22 players transfer out of the program since 2015 which is the second-most in the American Athletic Conference, only behind the University of Memphis.

Memphis has had three different head coaches since 2015 including Josh Pastner and Tubby Smith before hiring Penny Hardaway back in 2018. Meanwhile, WSU has been consistent with Marshall at the helm since he was hired as head coach back in 2007. "
    Saying 5+ transfer every year is not the same as saying they average 5 transfers per year.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Saying 5+ transfer every year is not the same as saying they average 5 transfers per year.
      You beat me to it but I think it bears repeating.

Also, I enjoy the arbitrary cut off point of only using the years we’ve been in the American as though the previous years shouldn’t be considered because...reasons.

Comment

• WSU has recruited better players since joining the AAC. It’s a different level. Better athletes/players have more options at the WSU level or even better. They are less inclined to take the military model of being broken down before being built up. The assistant coaches revolving door doesn’t help either especially since they are the ones doing the heavy lifting and relationship building on recruiting. The KL incident supposedly happened because KL defended one of the players (SM?). Gregg needs to adjust his coaching style somewhat. He’s less inclined to find players with a chip on their shoulder willing to put up with the emotional beat downs.

Comment

• I hate to post this since it doesn't have anything to do with the coaching search - hint, hint ; - but I think anytime there's a transfer you need to know why they transferred vs just grouping them altogether. Some may have transferred due to lack of playing time and they want to go somewhere else, some may transfer because of how they're treated even if they get plenty of playing time, some transfer due to off-court things, and maybe some all the above. Just lumping them altogether and saying they transferred due to one reason like some seem to infer can be misleading and inaccurate. Unfortunately the fans sometime don't know why they transferred other than what we read in the news once they leave.
          Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
            Some here are very forgetful. There was a lot more than just Fred and Ron. He/we won the NIT NC before Fred and Ron and then he followed that up with a 5 Seed in the NCAA Tournament. Then came to Final 4 team. I'm not going to be able to mention all of the fine players we had before Fred and Ron but we had very good players who could still play and they were "tough defense first" players who didn't care about their stats. They were all team first guys. That is the type of player who this program was built around. Stutz, Murry, and Durley were just a few. Go ahead and mention more.
            Others who were high school signees or 3 year transfers who fit well that some forget about in addition to Stutz, Murray, and Durley, include David Kyles, Aaron Ellis, Graham Hatch, Dmetrick Williams, EO, and 2 year transfers who fit like Ben Smith, and Joe Ragland. These were tough Shockers who all were grinders and were not named Fred and Ron (who someone thought we were lucky to get). They all fit and we won an NIT NC and had a 5 seed NCAA bid.

Comment

• What's the big deal with the numbers transferring out. There are too many possible reasons for a kid to want to transfer, but the main one is generally playing time. If they aren't playing enough, it means either they're not good enough or not fitting the team chemistry. Let them go and find a replacement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
                What's the big deal with the numbers transferring out. There are too many possible reasons for a kid to want to transfer, but the main one is generally playing time. If they aren't playing enough, it means either they're not good enough or not fitting the team chemistry. Let them go and find a replacement.
                You summed it up nicely on Grant Sherfield and Jamarius Burton

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                  WSU has recruited better players since joining the AAC. It’s a different level. Better athletes/players have more options at the WSU level or even better. They are less inclined to take the military model of being broken down before being built up. The assistant coaches revolving door doesn’t help either especially since they are the ones doing the heavy lifting and relationship building on recruiting. The KL incident supposedly happened because KL defended one of the players (SM?). Gregg needs to adjust his coaching style somewhat. He’s less inclined to find players with a chip on their shoulder willing to put up with the emotional beat downs.
                  Pretty solid insights....
                  Last edited by N Crestway; November 15, 2020, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Disagree totally. While going through USMC boot camp, you feel like killing your drill instructors almost every day. But by the time you go into your 3rd month of boot camp, you start realizing the mental and physical changes that you have been going through and that becomes a source of real self pride in yourself and your platoon as well as total respect for the assholes that you earlier want to kill.
                    i truly believe marshall uses this type of theory to prep kids for college basketball. But in the USMC, your stuck and can't get away until your contract is over, but in marshalls case he has to rely on upper class men to push the young guys through the beginning of thier transformation.
                    You are full of ****.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

You are full of ****.
                      I am? Like you would know?
                      you have obviously been a momma's boy who never did anything to be proud of.
                      By the way, your momma just called and said your sex change was being delayed do to the covid. I personally don't think you need one though. You sound like all vagina to me.

Comment

• If this were a typical situation, where a school was/is looking to make a new hire immediately after a season ends, the list of candidates would be fairly long. So if Wichita State is still searching for a full time head coach at the end of the upcoming season, one name that should be on their list: Former WSU assistant and current University of Colorado head coach Tad Boyle.

Comment

I am? Like you would know?
                          you have obviously been a momma's boy who never did anything to be proud of.
                          By the way, your momma just called and said your sex change was being delayed do to the covid. I personally don't think you need one though. You sound like all vagina to me.
                          Lol. OK phony tough guy. Enjoy your virtual stolen valor.
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Bobb, your wrong again. I'm a 63 yo 6'4" 235lb white guy, over weight, smoke too much, but proud of my past, which included basketball into my 40's. Coached kids as young as 12 and men as old as 24 for our base team at USMCAS eltoro back in the 70's.
                            I have been managing people for the last 30 years of my life and know that a team of people include folks from varying backgrounds and beliefs.
                            To merge those people into a good working team, you often have to create a bond or brotherhood through a common life event. And most often you have to create that event. That is common in gangs, military, schools and many places by way of hazing.
                            ​​​​​​
                            A coach like marshal, in my belief builds team chemistry in a similar manner by way of creating a tough environment. If a kid can't take it, they need to move on and let those who are man enough form that bond that is needed to build team chemistry.

I like tough coaches who demand 100 % effort. Marshall is that guy

Comment

Yeah, that guy is Exhibit A of typical red-neck Texas ignorance. Makes me conjure up a picture of the 'drills' the Corps of Cadets at A&M seem to get in trouble for every few years. Abusing people neither makes the abuser or the abusee tougher.

Perhaps he needs a shrink to deal with the experiences he had with his DI, since he wants to go on endlessly about it. He certainly doesn't seem like my departed Gunnery Sargent Marine friend. He might have laughed a little about his basic training or DI, but he didn't go on and on about it. The Marines made him tough, but they did it in a way (evidently) that did not include abuse, especially since he really did not talk about it much.

My Navy buddies the same. They talked about how physically exerting and psychologically taxing the exercises and drills they had to endure were, but they did not talk about their DI's punching, kicking and laying hands on recruits.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Ehhhhhh. That is a stretch. He left WSU for his home town, and now coaches the premier basketball team in his home state, which happens to be an easy commute from his home town. Tad has punched his ticket and will be there until he retires.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X