Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

What are realistic expectations at 3.5M?
    I don't think that that amount is what it use to be when it started. Around 30 coaches are making $3 mil plus and a number of them aren't in the top 30 ranking always either. Before the last 2 years, Marshall was probably earning his keep. A few schools aside, most top 40-50 schools don't always live up to the coaches salary either. Do you truly believe a school like WSU with a coach that earns what Marshall does is always going to be able to match the top schools in the P5 + Big East as easily as their coaches who earn comparable money? By the way, Marshall is no Mark Few either. Few is an anomaly in several respects.

Comment

• It’s not the money we should have an issue with, it’s the 7 year roll.

Comment

I don't care for the class swings. Sorry for 3.5M we shouldn't have to rely upon upperclassmen for results. That's what uni does. Sampson reloads.
        JFC dude. If Landry (first WSU player ever to go to the NBA early) and/or Austin (very unusual circumstance) don’t leave we aren’t having this conversation because we don’t have to rely on the freshmen so much.

If Teddy Allen gets a waiver (in an era the NCAA is handing them out like business cards on the vegas strip) along with the two things above we’re really not having this conversation.

Context matters. Pull your head out of your ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I don't think that amount is what it use to be when it started. Around 30 coaches are making $3 mil plus and a number of them aren't in the top 30 ranking always either. Before the last 2 years, Marshall was probably earning his keep. A few schools aside, most top 40-50 schools don't always live up to the coaches salary either. Do you truly believe a school like WSU with a coach that earns what Marshall does is always going to be able to match the top schools in the P5 + Big East as easily as their coaches who earn comparable money? By the way, Marshall is no Mark Few either. Few is an anomaly in several respects.
          I’ve always said he’s worth every penny of his salary. Overall, he’s recruited good kids that don’t embarrass the university and he doesn’t play in the slop (cheat). I rest easy knowing an NCAA investigation isn’t hanging over our head. Yes, he’s made a few mistakes the past 13 years (we all have) and will likely suffer the consequences of his actions.

I spent 30 minutes this afternoon driving around campus (I wanted to see the new 8’ WU sculpture); I continue to be blown away by the Innovation Campus; it’s simply incredible. If you haven’t done so, take the time... it will make you proud.

Without a doubt, coach Marshall deserves some of the credit for the explosive growth. He also deserves some of the credit for the move to the AAC. I’ll forever be grateful for what he’s done to promote the City of Wichita and Wichita State University. He promoted like a $3.5 million dollar man. Thank you coach!

If he’s no longer our coach, I have confidence we have the resources available to overcome any short term obstacles. I don’t believe Charles Koch and the other ‘heavy hitters’ (Wichita has numerous high net worth individuals) will accept nothing but greatness. I don’t believe they will ‘pull the plug’ on their long term investment. It wouldn’t surprise me for them to step up even more if warranted. If my name was on the arena, I would want sustained excellence coming out of it.

SubGod22 would say, “I’m not worried”... and neither am I.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

SubGod22 would say, “I’m not worried”... and neither am I.
            Damn, I miss SubGod22 .

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

JFC dude. If Landry (first WSU player ever to go to the NBA early) and/or Austin (very unusual circumstance) don’t leave we aren’t having this conversation because we don’t have to rely on the freshmen so much.

If Teddy Allen gets a waiver (in an era the NCAA is handing them out like business cards on the vegas strip) along with the two things above we’re really not having this conversation.

Context matters. Pull your head out of your ass.
              Landry is not the first WSU player to leave early for the NBA. Austin probably didn't quite see eye to eye with coach. Teddy was a Vegas role of the dice that didn't pan out. Not what you would call a steady recruit. Where does the buck stop?

Listen GM is a brilliant x and o's basketball mind that put WSU on the modern day map. That part is indisputable. He caught lightening in a bottle with Fred and Ron who played a huge part in his top 15 salary. He's getting paid for past performance and that's how the system works.

I don't see how he survives and if he does then recruiting will be immensely more difficult going forward. I'm not of the opinion you can challenge for AAC championships with 2-3 star recruits and I don't see it getting any better from a recruiting standpoint.

If anyone thinks we'll be just fine on the recruiting trail then pull your head out of your ass. 2-3 star recruits looking to be toughed up will be our ceiling. That worked in the valley but things are a little different now and I'm not counting on the next Fred and Ron walking through the door. Bottom line if he miraculously stays then I just feel recruiting will suffer.

Comment

• Some here are very forgetful. There was a lot more than just Fred and Ron. He/we won the NIT NC before Fred and Ron and then he followed that up with a 5 Seed in the NCAA Tournament. Then came to Final 4 team. I'm not going to be able to mention all of the fine players we had before Fred and Ron but we had very good players who could still play and they were "tough defense first" players who didn't care about their stats. They were all team first guys. That is the type of player who this program was built around. Stutz, Murry, and Durley were just a few. Go ahead and mention more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                  Some here are very forgetful. There was a lot more than just Fred and Ron. He/we won the NIT NC before Fred and Ron and then he followed that up with a 5 Seed in the NCAA Tournament. Then came to Final 4 team. I'm not going to be able to mention all of the fine players we had before Fred and Ron but we had very good players who could still play and they were "tough defense first" players who didn't care about their stats. They were all team first guys. That is the type of player who this program was built around. Stutz, Murry, and Durley were just a few. Go ahead and mention more.
                  Cotton
                  Phi Alpha

Comment

Landry is not the first WSU player to leave early for the NBA. Austin probably didn't quite see eye to eye with coach. Teddy was a Vegas role of the dice that didn't pan out. Not what you would call a steady recruit. Where does the buck stop?

Listen GM is a brilliant x and o's basketball mind that put WSU on the modern day map. That part is indisputable. He caught lightening in a bottle with Fred and Ron who played a huge part in his top 15 salary. He's getting paid for past performance and that's how the system works.

I don't see how he survives and if he does then recruiting will be immensely more difficult going forward. I'm not of the opinion you can challenge for AAC championships with 2-3 star recruits and I don't see it getting any better from a recruiting standpoint.

If anyone thinks we'll be just fine on the recruiting trail then pull your head out of your ass. 2-3 star recruits looking to be toughed up will be our ceiling. That worked in the valley but things are a little different now and I'm not counting on the next Fred and Ron walking through the door. Bottom line if he miraculously stays then I just feel recruiting will suffer.
                    Dont know if your take on recruiting is 100% correct. The top player in the state pulled out because of uncertainty with Marshalls current situation but willing to come back if he stays. Also sounds like the current roster feels the same about wanting to play for coach.

I'm guessing these guys aren't up to your standards though.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                      Little off topic but while listening to this couldn't help but think about last year's team. Yes they're talking football, but also works for basketball.

There is serious wisdom in this video.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

You are correct about Landry. I should have said first player in what, 30+ years?

I remember a lot of people were surprised and upset that Teddy didn’t get a waiver given his circumstances and considering the circumstances of other players who received them that year.

Saying WSU’s recent success only came after “catching lightning in a bottle with Fred and Ron” and stopped when they left is not only completely wrong, it also sounds a lot like something KU fans loved to say. “Just wait until Fred and Ron leave.”

He might have trouble recruiting is he stays, he might not have as much trouble as you think. Who could possibly know? We might be able to replace him with another great coach or even a better one or we could land a dud that would set us back in a time where money is tight. There’s no guarantee.

All things being equal, I want Marshall to be the coach here until he retires (not at 60 like our esteemed AD whisperer hopes). I don’t get the impression that you or the other people who I had all these same arguments with last year feel that way. You want Marshall gone for one reason or another and have for while. This is just the most recent and convenient avenue to follow.

In reality, the bottom line is does what happened justify a firing five years later? Is it appropriate justice for what happened to Shaq, Linstead and parking lot kid for Marshall to lose his job?

I know many people on here say 100% yes. I’m not willing to make such a definitive statement because I don’t know all the context. Life isn’t always so simple.

Comment

• The incidents listed above have all been publicized. I’m kinda curious what the beef is from last year’s squad. Stevenson’s dad has made comments along the lines of, “we need to see this thing through”.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

They didn’t have the talent you’re talking about 3 years ago. They were 2* and 3* kids back then just like us. Only recently have they had a couple of 4* and one 5* transfer from KU last year. Do some research on their stars from 3 years ago.
                            Aubrey Coleman and Marcus Sasser. Sasser was a 3*.

However, I want to also point out that when you have 5+ kids transferring out every year, you may have a diamond in the rough leave the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Aubrey Coleman and Marcus Sasser. Sasser was a 3*.

However, I want to also point out that when you have 5+ kids transferring out every year, you may have a diamond in the rough leave the program.
                              What team had 5+ kids transferring out every year?

Comment

• Seems like we are close to the top of the conference for something.......transfers. 22-8=14 over 4 seasons. That's an average of 3.5 per year (not counting 2020). If you count 2020, we are averaging right at 5 per year. All under the same coach, difference between where we are and the conference leader is that conference leader has had 3 coaches during the same time span.

https://thesunflower.com/52802/sport...at%20WSU%20has.
                                "Teams throughout the American Athletic Conference have also been impacted by transfers but not quite to the point that WSU has. The closest transfer number to WSU’s was Tulsa University who had four players transfer out of the program.

After the recent news of the investigation in Gregg Marshall’s alleged misconduct, the number of transfers in recent history from WSU has stood out. The Shockers have had 22 players transfer out of the program since 2015 which is the second-most in the American Athletic Conference, only behind the University of Memphis.

Memphis has had three different head coaches since 2015 including Josh Pastner and Tubby Smith before hiring Penny Hardaway back in 2018. Meanwhile, WSU has been consistent with Marshall at the helm since he was hired as head coach back in 2007. "

Comment

Working...
                                X