Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
    Could Adrian Griffin get his 5-star son to de-commit from Duke? Probably not, but I can dream lol
    Perhaps if he wants the job like his life depended on it

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      This whole "abuse" situation made me think of an interaction I had with Coach Heir after watching a particularly violent summer scrimmage. I was like, "how do you get these guys to try and kill each other in the middle of the summer in an empty gym???" He just grinned and said nothing.

I knew it had to do with a level of ritualized aggression in practice. It's a dangerous strategy unless EVERYBODY buys in and feels part of the "abused" family. This is where the softer assistant coaches are necessary to help with the mental boo boos and reassure the wounded player that "Coach Marshall knows what he's doing and he's just trying to make you the best you can be."

Without this dialogue continually being reinforced, Marshall is just an overbearing asshole.
      Disagree totally. While going through USMC boot camp, you feel like killing your drill instructors almost every day. But by the time you go into your 3rd month of boot camp, you start realizing the mental and physical changes that you have been going through and that becomes a source of real self pride in yourself and your platoon as well as total respect for the assholes that you earlier want to kill.
      i truly believe marshall uses this type of theory to prep kids for college basketball. But in the USMC, your stuck and can't get away until your contract is over, but in marshalls case he has to rely on upper class men to push the young guys through the beginning of thier transformation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Disagree totally. While going through USMC boot camp, you feel like killing your drill instructors almost every day. But by the time you go into your 3rd month of boot camp, you start realizing the mental and physical changes that you have been going through and that becomes a source of real self pride in yourself and your platoon as well as total respect for the assholes that you earlier want to kill.
        i truly believe marshall uses this type of theory to prep kids for college basketball. But in the USMC, your stuck and can't get away until your contract is over, but in marshalls case he has to rely on upper class men to push the young guys through the beginning of thier transformation.
        Doesn't translate well to recruiting. We're not recruiting to a service academy. Gone are the days of dominating the valley with 2 stars. There's a noticeable difference when we play Houston.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Doesn't translate well to recruiting. We're not recruiting to a service academy. Gone are the days of dominating the valley with 2 stars. There's a noticeable difference when we play Houston.
          With upper classmen, we were 1-2 with the rubber match a 3 point loss. With mostly underclassmen, we're no match with Houston.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

With upper classmen, we were 1-2 with the rubber match a 3 point loss. With mostly underclassmen, we're no match with Houston.
            I don't care for the class swings. Sorry for 3.5M we shouldn't have to rely upon upperclassmen for results. That's what uni does. Sampson reloads.

Comment

• Some on here are saying that if our team softens up, we will be better than our averaging 20 wins in the past 13 years. Kelvin Sampson and Houston aren’t soft.

In the American, our teams haven’t taken to the grind that happens the last half of the season. Whatever, your strategy to get softer won’t work either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                Some on here are saying that if our team softens up, we will be better than our averaging 20 wins in the past 13 years. Kelvin Sampson and Houston aren’t soft.

In the American, our teams haven’t taken to the grind that happens the last half of the season. Whatever, your strategy to get softer won’t work either.
                Houston's a physical program with much better talent. It's possible to be tough and talented.

Comment

• Little off topic but while listening to this couldn't help but think about last year's team. Yes they're talking football, but also works for basketball.

Comment

There are still kids who want to be pushed to the hilt. I'm guessing that it is no secret when they recruit a kid. In fact I would imagine that they use it too their advantage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

There are still kids who want to be pushed to the hilt. I'm guessing that it is no secret when they recruit a kid. In fact I would imagine that they use it too their advantage.
                      We'll have a very difficult time challenging for AAC championships with this mindset. For 3.5M bring the horses.

Comment

We'll have a very difficult time challenging for AAC championships with this mindset. For 3.5M bring the horses.
                        So, how did the recruits' ranking in 2018 and 2019 compare with past classes?

Comment

So, how did the recruits' ranking in 2018 and 2019 compare with past classes?
                          Recruiting is relative to the competition.

Comment

Recruiting is relative to the competition.
                            Did you expect to dominate immediately or be competitive? That said, how did our recruiting classes in 2018 and 2019 compare with past classes? Despite team chemistry problems, were we competitive and in the top half of the league with basically young rosters who we had hoped to build on (and reload)?

Comment

Houston's a physical program with much better talent. It's possible to be tough and talented.
                              They didn’t have the talent you’re talking about 3 years ago. They were 2* and 3* kids back then just like us. Only recently have they had a couple of 4* and one 5* transfer from KU last year. Do some research on their stars from 3 years ago.

Comment

Did you expect to dominate immediately or be competitive?
                                What are realistic expectations at 3.5M?

Comment

Working...
                                X