Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I just can’t see him telling a player they can’t visit their dying grandparent or even telling them they can but there will consequences.

However, David said it on Twitter so we should believe it 100%. And I am only partially joking. Why would he lie about something like that?

If true this story is worse than anything I’ve heard up to this point and makes me incredibly sad. That is not a joke.
    This is why I said, I would like to know the whole conversation, because no one knows what was asked, or what information was conveyed.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• But my larger point is that if you don't believe a coach at 3Gs level doesn't instill a culture that the team is above certain other aspects of a players life during the season....

I don't know where that line was drawn and/or more importantly where the players perceived that line to be. But it's there somewhere. And it's in a place where we on the outside in just a normal organization might think as being unreasonable. But that's not college athletics.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• It certainly would have been honorable for Gregg to ‘fess up and acknowledge some of his mistakes. The court of public opinion can be forgiving over time.

OTOH, doing so might have given WSU all the ammunition needed to go through with for-cause dismissal and pay ZILCH.

Say what you want about the ethics of it, but from a legal standpoint, I can understand Gregg’s legal team’s strategy.
        78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
          OTOH, doing so might have given WSU all the ammunition needed to go through with for-cause dismissal and pay ZILCH.
          Then you say nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
            It certainly would have been honorable for Gregg to ‘fess up and acknowledge some of his mistakes. The court of public opinion can be forgiving over time.

Say what you want about the ethics of it, but from a CASH standpoint, I can understand Gregg’s legal team’s strategy.
            FIFY

Comment

• If you have Spotify, you can listen to Ron at the link below:

Listen to this episode from The Doug Gottlieb Show on Spotify. In this episode, Doug is joined by former NBA guard and Wichita State star Ron Baker discusses his path from rural Kansas to starring at Wichita State, the Shockers undefeated regular season, Final Four run, and opens up with exclusive insight into the good and bad of his experience playing under former Wichita State Head Coach Gregg Marshall, including his first hand recollection of Marshall allegedly hitting Shaq Morris in practice. He also talks about his NBA experience, playing in Russia, and what's next. Make sure you download, rate and subscribe here to get the latest All Ball Podcasts! Learn more about your ad-choices at https://www.iheartpodcastnetwork.comSee omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.

Comment

• This whole damn thing has a happy medium somewhere. There's more granularity than just black or white.

Marshall was not a saint. If he would have treated players with more respect and compassion, he'd still be sitting in his office and parking in his designated parking spot. A lot of this falls on Marshall, and depending on how you want to look at it maybe all of it.

Players bringing this crap up years after the fact is a massive case of lame-ass butt-hurt-ness. If Marshall had anger issues that needed to be handled, they should have been nipped in the bud by folks upstream from him in the leadership structure. That falls on the dipshit AD we have at current who appears to be more of a highly-paid placeholder or mascot of sorts than a leader of men. His attack on the messenger rather than the message some years back was just a small peak behind the scenes I think.

WSU MBB is going NOWHERE as long a Boatright is at the helm. It got to where it was because of Shaus. It got into the AAC because of Marshall. If you love WSU, you need to get on your knees and pray that the new university president puts two and two together on this whole clusterfark and sends him back to Alabama. Roll tide on down the interstate brother.

Comment

• Recap ends and they get to the meat at 33:30. Ron didn’t see it. It did not happen on the court. Couple guys said they saw it. He believes that nobody had a reason to make it up back then. Not an eyewitness. Supports Gregg but says the no contact statement was not true.

Ron is back in ICT. Carl is back, or was. Shaq is back but laying low. Ron made it sound like Shaq is afraid to come out of the house.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                    This whole damn thing has a happy medium somewhere. There's more granularity than just black or white.

Marshall was not a saint. If he would have treated players with more respect and compassion, he'd still be sitting in his office and parking in his designated parking spot. A lot of this falls on Marshall, and depending on how you want to look at it maybe all of it.

Players bringing this crap up years after the fact is a massive case of lame-ass butt-hurt-ness. If Marshall had anger issues that needed to be handled, they should have been nipped in the bud by folks upstream from him in the leadership structure. That falls on the dipshit AD we have at current who appears to be more of a highly-paid placeholder or mascot of sorts than a leader of men. His attack on the messenger rather than the message some years back was just a small peak behind the scenes I think.

WSU MBB is going NOWHERE as long a Boatright is at the helm. It got to where it was because of Shaus. It got into the AAC because of Marshall. If you love WSU, you need to get on your knees and pray that the new university president puts two and two together on this whole clusterfark and sends him back to Alabama.
                    Two people are responsible for the move to the AAC: John Bardo and Darren Boatright.

It probably doesn't happen without the contributions of Gregg Marshall, but to not give credit to the two men who made it happen is disingenuous.

Comment

• Here's the thing. Should HCGM copped to it and admitted there was some contact and that things got out of hand? Probably. But, when you've got $15 million reasons to come out and deny it, you do that. And for anyone to fault HCGM for the denial is ridiculous because he was obviously CYA in the case of a settlement. He had no other choice. If he admits it, the school fires him for cause and he gets nothing. Let's be real.

Don't really have much of an issue with what RB had to say. Towed the PC line like I figured he would. He has to have his boys back while also giving HCGM credit for making him the BB player he was/is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Two people are responsible for the move to the AAC: John Bardo and Darren Boatright.

It probably doesn't happen without the contributions of Gregg Marshall, but to not give credit to the two men who made it happen is disingenuous.
                        That’s fair.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• From what I am seeing, there has to be more to this summer than what has been said publicly.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                            Here's the thing. Should HCGM copped to it and admitted there was some contact and that things got out of hand? Probably. But, when you've got $15 million reasons to come out and deny it, you do that. And for anyone to fault HCGM for the denial is ridiculous because he was obviously CYA in the case of a settlement. He had no other choice. If he admits it, the school fires him for cause and he gets nothing. Let's be real.

Don't really have much of an issue with what RB had to say. Towed the PC line like I figured he would. He has to have his boys back while also giving HCGM credit for making him the BB player he was/is.
                            I don't think it's as simple as Say he did it or Denying it .. the third option made the most sense. Don't say anything until it was all said and done. You can ALWAYS publicly deny it. You can't retract it once it's been said though. I truly think without the public denial, WSU could have found a way to make sure he was still coach.

Comment

• I thought the interview was good. It was good to hear Baker describe his whole time at WSU including the F4 and Perfect season. He said he is from the "snowflake" era and some kids can handle hard coaching and other can't.

He thought Marshall could have survived if he admitted his mistakes and apologized. But when Marshall released his second statement, Marshall violated his own rules

Don’t lie to me. Don’t steal from me.
                              That seemed to push Baker over to talk to the investigators. He said he saw everything, except the punch. Marshall had come unhinged after Shaq foul and it became very uncomfortable at practice. Marshall followed Shaq to the locker room where the alleged punch occurred. He said other seen it (I think he said 2 or 3).

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I don't think it's as simple as Say he did it or Denying it .. the third option made the most sense. Don't say anything until it was all said and done. You can ALWAYS publicly deny it. You can't retract it once it's been said though. I truly think without the public denial, WSU could have found a way to make sure he was still coach.
                                Maybe, but when you have that much on the line, my guess is his lawyers instructed him to go on record with the denial. Right or wrong. He likely can't go on record now with anything due to the NDA. He could however, call some of the guys with a mea culpa if he so desires. That is not really his style though. Bad deal all the way around.

Comment

Working...
                                X