Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
    If they already made the decision to fire him and they are working on a negotiated settlement, why are they not making it public and moving on with a coaching search or naming IB as interim HC for this season? Why would they want to have this go on for a month? Why would they leave everyone hanging, including the players about what the future of the program is? Again, if it's clear cut fireable, then why negotiate at all? Just to be nice and smooth it over with boosters and donors?

Another theory that I think is happening, is that they DON't have cause to fire him, but they don't want to retain him because even if the actions don't arise to the level of termination, they look bad. The *******'s of the world will tar and feather the university for not cutting him loose. And they don't have the balls to circle the wagons and tell everyone else outside the Shocker community to go pound sand.

Again, I don't know what's in that report, but I'm waiting on the report to know exactly whether he should be gone or not.
    I believe his contract states he is to be provided with time to respond to a notice of intent to terminate with cause. The legal team is probably suggesting they don't officially announce anything so they don't potentially violate the terms of the contract.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I believe his contract states he is to be provided with time to respond to a notice of intent to terminate with cause. The legal team is probably suggesting they don't officially announce anything so they don't potentially violate the terms of the contract.
      But does it matter how he responds? And responds with what? If you're fired, you're fired. Signing the termination paperwork wouldn't have anything to do with announcing to the team (and fans) how they plan to move forward....... a week before the first game.

Comment

Correct. This is from his contract -

No termination for alleged "good cause" shall occur without first giving Mr. Marshall notice in writing of the "good cause" actions alleged and an opportunity to be heard.

It doesn't say more than that as far as what "opportunity to be heard" means, but other coaches contracts written later on - Wedge, Lamb, Adams, etc. - all have the following (below is from Adams contract):

No termination for alleged “good cause” shall occur without first giving Ms. Adams notice in writing of the “good cause” actions alleged and an opportunity to be heard in a meeting with the AD. The General Counsel for Wichita State University shall be notified prior to any “good cause” action being initiated by the ICAA pursuant to this subsection and Ms. Adams may be joined by counsel of her choosing during any such meeting with the counsel being available to advise and confer with Ms. Adams but not otherwise participate in the discussion between Ms. Adams and the AD. If Ms. Adams does have counsel present at the meeting the General Counsel or their designee will also be present.

Edited to add contracts can be found at https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...log/entry/870/
        Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; November 16, 2020, 01:53 PM.
        Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
          Ralph Miller had a reputation as a very tough coach. He won a whole lot of games and he was not liked by a good number of people until he stopped coaching.
          Gene Smithson had a reputation as a very tough coach. He won a whole lot of games and he was not liked by a good number of people until after coaching.
          Gregg Marshall had a reputation as a very tough coach. He won a whole lot of games and he was not liked by a good number of people.
          Scott Thompson had a reputation as a nice coach. He didn't win very many games but he was liked by a good number of people.
          Gary Thompson had a reputation as a nice coach. He didn't win very many games but he was liked by a good number of people.

Anyone see a pattern here. A lot of coaches who win aren't well liked until after their career.
          Where does Turgeon fall in the mix? I'm not sure what his reputation was as a WSU coach or if he was liked or not.
          Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

But does it matter how he responds? And responds with what? If you're fired, you're fired. Signing the termination paperwork wouldn't have anything to do with announcing to the team (and fans) how they plan to move forward....... a week before the first game.
            I'm not a lawyer, but legally I would guess it doesn't matter how he responds, but they have to allow him to respond before they make it public.

You are right .. if you are fired you are fired. The deciding factor is if he's fired with a 15 million dollar payout or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Anything is possible. I do think there is indicator - Practice. If each day the practice report is:

a. He is at practice - then the probability is that he is staying.
              b. He is not at practice - then the probability is that is not staying.

Hopefully the media each day will report if there is or is not a Marshall sighting.
              This is the barometer I will be watching.

Comment

I'm not a lawyer, but legally I would guess it doesn't matter how he responds, but they have to allow him to respond before they make it public.

You are right .. if you are fired you are fired. The deciding factor is if he's fired with a 15 million dollar payout or not.
                My money is on he gets a HUGE payout and has a P5 job in 2 years.

Have I mentioned that this really sucks?

Comment

This would be insane for the university to do. If you have to pay the buyout, then he shouldn't be fired. Either his actions are fireable without the buyout (ie for cause) or they weren't fireable, and he stays. If they get rid of him for anything less they should all be fired.

I don't think WSU can come out with an investigation that half the people think warrants termination and half don't, then fire him. They would be foolish. The investigation either comes out with findings that nearly 100% of people would look at and agree with the termination, or at least a healthy majority. Without that, then they shouldn't even consider termination.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

While I agree that this really sucks, I am curious as too how much money we talkin?

Comment

• I have a trusted inside source who says Marshall cleaned out his office last week and also has missed required Covid testing.

Comment

• I'm still holding out hope that the allegations aren't true and that they falsely leaked that he was in the process of being let go so ******* would take the bait and look like an even bigger doofus. It's 2020 though so we probably won't be that lucky.

I want to be optimistic and believe that even if 3G is let go that we can maintain a high level with the program but the reality is that it's going to be a rough few years for Shocker basketball if this all plays out how it's looking right now. We're now lacking that sharp university president with a vision, our AD's career has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel...If 3G is gone, we're in a world of hurt for some time. Even if he were to be exonerated and retained, the media has done so much damage. Would he even want to stay if that were to play out?

It's amazing to me that in this day in age with social media, law suits, grievance culture, smartphones, etc., that this was all kept under wraps for 5 years and then it took a hero like ******* to magically uncover all of this. Hopefully the university doesn't overcompensate by hiring somebody overly safe for the sake of image because it will ultimately hurt the university's image doing that. I really hope they don't base their decision on pleasing ******* or anybody in the media because the Goodmans of the world will continue to be jerks no matter how they handle it.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                          I have a trusted inside source who says Marshall cleaned out his office last week and also has missed required Covid testing.
                          Does your source’s name rhyme with Sneff Foodman?

Comment

I have a trusted inside source who says Marshall cleaned out his office last week and also has missed required Covid testing.
                            So now we are finding out the REAL reason he's fired.

Comment

• Could GM be dragging this out to ensure his staff stays?

Comment

"Coach, I know you cleaned out your office, but we really need you down here for COVID testing."
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X