No announcement yet.

2020-21 season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm resigned to the fact now that we probably won't see any college basketball this season, even though I think it's a complete joke.

Comment

How about conference tournaments only; single location, quarantine, testing, divisions, double elimination? All in late January early February.

NCAA tournament, similar format, double the teams (128), maybe regional locations for preliminary but once down to some manageable size a single location? All in Late February and all of March

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
        I'm resigned to the fact now that we probably won't see any college basketball this season, even though I think it's a complete joke.
        Horn,
        Unfortunately, your inclination this season will not happen is all but assured. Unless something drastically changes, there is very little reason for optimism.
        My D2 & D3 schedule has already been cancelled through 12-31-20. I'll be home through the Holidays and probably through to Spring.
        That is all.
        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Since the Ft Worth trip turned sour, I was really hoping to try it again next March, but......

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
            Big 10 just cancelled Football .. didn't think I would see that happen. Chances of basketball seems to be really dwindling.

Comment

We still have a chance, may be slim, but if the Fat Lady doesn't sing, maybe College BB Conference play could possibly start in Jan.

Comment

I have read that Big 10 and PAC 12 will be cancelling fall season as early as tomorrow.

Comment

It's all over but the shouting folks.

Comment

And just to be clear, this has nothing to do with sports, and everything to do with politics. If it was about the kids, the college campuses would be shut down too.

Comment

Is it really safer to have kids going off and doing whatever in their social lives (because believe me, college-aged kids aren't quarantining themselves or practicing 100% social distancing) than being in a controlled environment with the adult guidance and being tested for this thing every few days to a week? You can't tell me it's safer and you can make a pretty good argument that it's riskier.
                      Last edited by ShockerFever; August 11, 2020, 04:22 PM.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        Is it really safer to have kids going off and doing whatever in their social lives (because believe me, college-aged kids aren't quarantining themselves or practicing 100% social distancing than being in a controlled environment with the adult guidance and being tested for this thing every few days to a week? You can't tell me it's safer and you can make a pretty argument that it's riskier.
                        It's even worse with elementary school kids. They do some pretty gross things. My daughter shared some things the elementary school teachers were posting about social distancing and hygiene. It almost made me chuckle and they definitely had a point.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have kids learn from home, but I also wonder why (if schools are going to do in-person learning) they don't divide the kids into groups and have 20% (or even 25% for 4 days, which gives the teacher a day to do online learning) in the school each day so the kids can get in-person learning and direct feedback.

So what's my bottom line up front? None of this surprises me and I'm getting increasingly pessimistic about any sort of a basketball season (even a shortened one starting early in 2021).

Comment

This is about (mostly) liberal college presidents that either desire to cause chaos and (in their minds) make decisions that further their political wishes and wants, or believe (wrongly) that being a professional student gives them the wisdom and power to stop something that they absolutely cannot and will not stop. They are the ones ignoring the science.

Comment

This is about liability. No school wants to be in the crosshairs when an athlete either dies, or has major long term consequences to their health that would prevent them from playing their sport anymore. That's a $$$$ lawsuit right there in this climate. If a top football pick catches it and gets heart problems that prevents him from playing in the NFL??? Easily 100s of million in potential lost salary that someone could go after (doesn't mean they would win, but would absolutely be taken to court and likely settled somewhere in the middle)

It has very little to do with presidents wanting to tank their universities financially in order to "cause chaos".

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                              This is about liability. No school wants to be in the crosshairs when an athlete either dies, or has major long term consequences to their health that would prevent them from playing their sport anymore. That's a $$$$ lawsuit right there in this climate. If a top football pick catches it and gets heart problems that prevents him from playing in the NFL??? Easily 100s of million in potential lost salary that someone could go after (doesn't mean they would win, but would absolutely be taken to court and likely settled somewhere in the middle)

It has very little to do with presidents wanting to tank their universities financially in order to "cause chaos".
                              I might add that it has nothing to do with professional students as well. When I was younger, the definition of a professional student was that person who couldn't make up their mind about what they wanted to do when they grew up, dad and mom were paying for school, so they floated from major to major and ended up in school for 7 years or so.

Now if you are calling today's college athlete a professional student, perhaps that is a tacit admission we should have been paying them while they were in college all along?

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I might add that it has nothing to do with professional students as well. When I was younger, the definition of a professional student was that person who couldn't make up their mind about what they wanted to do when they grew up, dad and mom were paying for school, so they floated from major to major and ended up in school for 7 years or so.

Now if you are calling today's college athlete a professional student, perhaps that is a tacit admission we should have been paying them while they were in college all along?
                                I think the big differentiation between students and athletes in this is the risk profile and the way the school benefits off them. If a student gets COVID, they are are unlikely to die (as are athletes). What's more likely or at least unknown is what are the long term consequences of that. With an athlete, it could potentially hault their very high paying career. Regular student with heart/lung problems will be affected from a quality of life standpoint but there isn't a direct correlation that their career is likely affected. That direct correlation is where the risk and $$$$ comes in. To add to that fact, the school is profiting an insane amount off of the athletes so in court it would be easier to prove a "motive" for any sort of negligence that would be needed to be proved for these types of cases.

Comment

Working...
                                X