2020-21 season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
    Damn. Looks like no college sports for 2020 is likely at this point. It would be a major black eye for a school if a player gets severely ill from COVID. Small
    chance or not.
    Those kids will still get it, but now it won't be news

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Yep, that’s the thing. It’s all about what you hear in the news. I’m just sad. If college basketball gets hit, we’re going a long time before we see the Shockers again.

Comment

Yes, but you have to wonder about why there is a requirement driving all this in-person schooling.

And their approaches are all over the place. Some are requiring masks, some are doing nothing. Arizona is taking what they call a bubble approach. Seems like if you feel the need to have students in school, both masks and social distancing would be risk mitigation considerations. That presents a scheduling issue, but that could probably be overcome.

My guess would be that in-person instruction is much better than remote learning. That would make be believe that a mix of remote and in-person learning with risk mitigation might be the best approach, but like everything else in this pandemic, who knows (what we do know is doing nothing will not work).

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

you’re in the wrong forum, douchenozzle.
          LMAO From reading the posts on this board it looks like I am in the right forum. Good thing the NCAA powers did not listen to you when they canceled the basketball tournament last spring. And the Big 10 and the Pac 12 conferences are not listening to you. But hey, I think your right on one thing. I think this virus is just a hoax. The Orange God has told us so. Herman Cain salutes you. Go Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

LMAO From reading the posts on this board it looks like I am in the right forum. Good thing the NCAA powers did not listen to you when they canceled the basketball tournament last spring. And the Big 10 and the Pac 12 conferences are not listening to you. But hey, I think your right on one thing. I think this virus is just a hoax. The Orange God has told us so. Herman Cain salutes you. Go Shocks.
            What a douchenozzle.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
              The ivory tower came down a long time ago at most universities. Modern college presidents are not professional students, they are CEOs running businesses. Their business model is built around students buying credit hours; supporting infrastructure like housing, dining and other services by physically being on campus; and building lifelong affinity and loyalty to an institution through personal connections with people and a physical place. When schools are forced to shutdown mid-semester, there are massive logistical problems, and major financial and even legal implications that will likely resonate for years.

This is about risk management, not politics.
              This is about politics. At the very least, it's about university Presidents who don't want to look bad if they take a risk and it goes bad. They would rather cancel an athletic season now, than give it a try and then say, it didn't work and now we will cancel a season, and deal with alumni fall out, etc. when they cancel. And then there is the very small risk (almost zero for fit athletes who have no pre-existing conditions), of it going very badly, and they get huge publicity and have to take blame. College Presidents don't want to manage risk, they want almost zero risk, which ironically would be what they would have if the season is done right. No players or coaches with co-morbidities, constant testing, the right protocols such as hygiene, creating as much of a bubble as possible with the players, etc.

Comment

We will never see zero risk

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

What a douchenozzle.
                  Coming from someone as willfully ignorant as you are, I would consider that a compliment.

Comment

We will never see zero risk
                    I agree, but that doesn't mean you can't apply some mitigation. It's better than ignoring the problem.

Comment

• I was listening to 810 yesterday, and they were talking to Chris Kleiman about K State and their response. K State does a lot of testing. They have had zero positive tests in the past week or more (after a good number of players had tested positive earlier this past month after they reported). They have experimented with different types of masks while players are playing to find what works best. Their facility cleaning regimen is quite efficient. They use large rooms for position group meetings and limit total team meetings. They used to have the entire team eat, and then tape before practice, but now they divide into half and split the groups up when eating vs. taping. The players want to play and the coaches want to coach. He didn't talk about individual players with health co-morbidities but I'm sure they aren't forced to play. It sounds like they are doing a lot of mitigation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        I was listening to 810 yesterday, and they were talking to Chris Kleiman about K State and their response. K State does a lot of testing. They have had zero positive tests in the past week or more (after a good number of players had tested positive earlier this past month after they reported). They have experimented with different types of masks while players are playing to find what works best. Their facility cleaning regimen is quite efficient. They use large rooms for position group meetings and limit total team meetings. They used to have the entire team eat, and then tape before practice, but now they divide into half and split the groups up when eating vs. taping. The players want to play and the coaches want to coach. He didn't talk about individual players with health co-morbidities but I'm sure they aren't forced to play. It sounds like they are doing a lot of mitigation.
                        I'm curious, did they mention anything about heart issues from the players that have tested positive? One of the things that swayed the Big 10 was the fact that 10 B10 players have developed myocarditis after testing positive for COVID and "recovering". Once they have that diagnosis, part of the medical treatment is no strenuous activity for 3-6 months or you are at an elevated risk of heart failure. I think I saw that part of the Big 12s plan is to do heart testing after a player has tested positive. I'm curious of how the logistics of that is going to work. Also, can the schools AFFORD to run those types of tests on multiple players. I'm assuming they wont be cheap. Will be interesting to see going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

1. did they mention anything about heart issues from the players that have tested positive? I think I saw that part of the Big 12s plan is to do heart testing after a player has tested positive.
                          2. can the schools AFFORD to run those types of tests on multiple players.
                          3. Will be interesting to see going forward.
                          1. No, and Bowlsby never brought myocardium up the entire interview this morning. Also, it was pointed out that the Big 10 commissioner wouldn't directly give the myocardium answer when he was asked "what changed from last week when they made up a new schedule for everyone and this week when they canceled the season, and he never brought up myocardium. I think that they said that it was later brought up to him by a reporter before he mentioned it.
                          2. They are testing 3 days a week and anyone they play has to test their players at least that much too.
                          3. Yes, it will be interesting, and it may not work out but they are going to try until they find out it is impossible.

Also, I just don't see how spring football will work out. Besides the NFL and players not playing, it may not be anymore healthy at that time. Also, if they shut down the season in April, how can they have another season in August. That seems too soon to play another 12 games after playing 9 or so.
                          Last edited by Shockm; August 12, 2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Coming from someone as willfully ignorant as you are, I would consider that a compliment.
                            Explain. I’m not bringing the effing politics to the sports forum.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

This is about politics. At the very least, it's about university Presidents who don't want to look bad if they take a risk and it goes bad. They would rather cancel an athletic season now, than give it a try and then say, it didn't work and now we will cancel a season, and deal with alumni fall out, etc. when they cancel. And then there is the very small risk (almost zero for fit athletes who have no pre-existing conditions), of it going very badly, and they get huge publicity and have to take blame. College Presidents don't want to manage risk, they want almost zero risk, which ironically would be what they would have if the season is done right. No players or coaches with co-morbidities, constant testing, the right protocols such as hygiene, creating as much of a bubble as possible with the players, etc.
                              It seems you have totally overlooked the fact that one individual can go from 10-14 days with the virus prior to them showing any signs of illness.

The entire team in that period of time could be be infected.

When you are gambling with other peoples' lives, it is an entirely different story when you are the one making these decisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I agree, but that doesn't mean you can't apply some mitigation. It's better than ignoring the problem.
                                I know no one of substance that's "ignoring the problem".

Douchenozzle.

Comment

Working...
                                X