No announcement yet.

2020-21 season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like they may consider playing in the spring. I wonder if playing Basketball later after we have a vaccine would work for this year. Maybe they could play conference only starting in March?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      This is about (mostly) liberal college presidents that either desire to cause chaos and (in their minds) make decisions that further their political wishes and wants, or believe (wrongly) that being a professional student gives them the wisdom and power to stop something that they absolutely cannot and will not stop. They are the ones ignoring the science.
      That first sentence is pure black helicopter shite and itself stated for political reasons. Also it is very troubling to see you earlier equate the importance of playing with the importance of completing the semester. The loss of one is unfortunate and sad; the loss of the other is potentially catastrophic for students and the university.

The ivory tower came down a long time ago at most universities. Modern college presidents are not professional students, they are CEOs running businesses. Their business model is built around students buying credit hours; supporting infrastructure like housing, dining and other services by physically being on campus; and building lifelong affinity and loyalty to an institution through personal connections with people and a physical place. When schools are forced to shutdown mid-semester, there are massive logistical problems, and major financial and even legal implications that will likely resonate for years.

This is about risk management, not politics.
      “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have kids learn from home, but I also wonder why (if schools are going to do in-person learning) they don't divide the kids into groups and have 20% (or even 25% for 4 days, which gives the teacher a day to do online learning) in the school each day so the kids can get in-person learning and direct feedback.
          Most areas schools here in the Wichita area are giving 2 options

1. 100% On-line schooling
          2. Hybrid Schooling. 50% of each class meet for in-person for 2 days a week, 3 days of on-line. The one day with no kids at school is used for additional cleaning of school.

So what's my bottom line up front? None of this surprises me and I'm getting increasingly pessimistic about any sort of a basketball season (even a shortened one starting early in 2021).
          I don't think there will be 2020-21 season. I don't think the conference are willing to do the type of "thinking out of the box" it would require, nor do they want to spend the money (especially since they will be missing ticket sales/concessions revenue).

My prediction is the college sports model will be totally different after coming out of covid.

Comment

Anybody buy Atlantis tix yet?
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Comment

Whoever plays in the spring will most likely play without Seniors that want to play in the NFL. Some of the Seniors who hadn’t played much last year will most likely be left out. Maybe they can become free agents after their spring football season ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                  This is about liability. No school wants to be in the crosshairs when an athlete either dies, or has major long term consequences to their health that would prevent them from playing their sport anymore. That's a $$$$ lawsuit right there in this climate. If a top football pick catches it and gets heart problems that prevents him from playing in the NFL??? Easily 100s of million in potential lost salary that someone could go after (doesn't mean they would win, but would absolutely be taken to court and likely settled somewhere in the middle)

It has very little to do with presidents wanting to tank their universities financially in order to "cause chaos".
                  Can a lawsuit be filed if a student contracted the flu or some other disease and got badly sick or died from it? Moreover, how can you prove beyond a doubt that the student contracted it while participating in school-sponsored activities?

By all means, if a player doesn’t want to play, then don’t. From what I’ve seen in college football, a large majority wanna play.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                    That's not a good sign. That might be a bit overboard too ...

Comment

There will be no season of any kind this school year.

Comment

There won’t be a football National Championship or Bowl games this year. Mainly it will be a possibility of a conference schedule and maybe another non conference game. If the Big 12 decides to play, it will be interesting how the three conferences ( ACC, SEC, and Big 12) put together a schedule. From the Big 10, Nebraska and perhaps Iowa who voted to play may decide to play with the those three conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                          There won’t be a football National Championship or Bowl games this year. Mainly it will be a possibility of a conference schedule and maybe another non conference game. If the Big 12 decides to play, it will be interesting how the three conferences ( ACC, SEC, and Big 12) put together a schedule. From the Big 10, Nebraska and perhaps Iowa who voted to play may decide to play with the those three conferences.
                          Alabama and UCF already getting their title banners printed!

Comment

Can’t respond eh sticky?

Thought so.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Why would it be any different? Sheesh...

Comment

Damn. Looks like no college sports for 2020 is likely at this point. It would be a major black eye for a school if a player gets severely ill from COVID. Small
                                chance or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X