Former Shockers Media Mentions & Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Some magazines had him as a Top 100 recruit iirc.

Smithson tried to play as a shooting guard (he had some guard skills) but he wasn’t a guard. Even though he had some perimeter skills, Grayer was most effective when he played closer to the basket and developed his low post and rebounding skills in addition to his high post and facing the basket (ball handling) skills. Thirty+ years ago, Steve Grayer became a difficult match up. Eddie Fogler, for all his sub par recruiting skills really raised Grayer’s skills and helped forge him into an All Conference player.
    He didn't appear to do Sasha any favors. I could just as easily argue that Grayer's progression was that of a freshman through a senior. While his scoring and rebounding went up each year, his shooting, both FG and FT went down his senior year (.616/.555 and .636/.611).

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

He didn't appear to do Sasha any favors. I could just as easily argue that Grayer's progression was that of a freshman through a senior. While his scoring and rebounding went up each year, his shooting, both FG and FT went down his senior year (.616/.555 and .636/.611).
      Well Mo averages 50% FG this year. I’d take Grayer back in a heart beat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Well Mo averages 50% FG this year. I’d take Grayer back in a heart beat.
        No doubt I'd take Grayer in a heartbeat. However, his % from the field was the exception, not the rule.

Career FG%

Cheese .523
        MIller .500 (.512 his last season)
        Elmore .511
        Benton .500

Point being, 50% isn't bad.

Comment

• Stevie Grayer took GREAT shots, and that was a combination of talent and (in his case at least) really good coaching. Eddie demanded he take 4s and 5s and Steve listened and played to his strengths. His FT numbers pretty much proves he wasn't a good shooter (10th all time Shocker in FT attempted but just under 62% career made) but was outstanding at drawing fouls because he was going to make a bunch of shots and it was usually much better to foul him. He just didn't take bad shots. Because of coaching.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Stevie Grayer took GREAT shots, and that was a combination of talent and (in his case at least) really good coaching. Eddie demanded he take 4s and 5s and Steve listened and played to his strengths. His FT numbers pretty much proves he wasn't a good shooter (10th all time Shocker in FT attempted but just under 62% career made) but was outstanding at drawing fouls because he was going to make a bunch of shots and it was usually much better to foul him. He just didn't take bad shots. Because of coaching.
            Being the Georgia player of the year and one of the top players from the South helped a lot, if we're being honest here. Although Smithson saying "He's going to be our Magic Johnson" might have been a little hasty, looking back. He was not close to being a guard.

You're right doc, eddie did a good getting the Shocks to the NCAA (once) and the NIT (twice) with all of Gene's players was pretty impressive. That is, if you like going to NIT tournaments. But in all honesty the NIT was a little more prestigious back then.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Being the Georgia player of the year and one of the top players from the South helped a lot, if we're being honest here. Although Smithson saying "He's going to be our Magic Johnson" might have been a little hasty, looking back. He was not close to being a guard.

You're right doc, eddie did a good getting the Shocks to the NCAA (once) and the NIT (twice) with all of Gene's players was pretty impressive. That is, if you like going to NIT tournaments. But in all honesty the NIT was a little more prestigious back then.
              Wrong. NCAA twice (one auto, one at large) and one NIT (hosted a game). 3 seasons, 3 post season tournaments. Maybe the 10th best league. MAYBE.

Comment

• Seriously, we have to go through this every once in awhile, but for the people that think Eddie wasn't a VERY good coach, you're simply wrong and don't understand basketball.

If you hate Eddie because he was a New York Jew that didn't fit in here, that's on you and shame on you. He was a GREAT dude. If you hate him because he used this job as a stepping stone, I understand. That always irritates everyone (including me) but you shouldn't have been surprised. But he could and did coach. He wasn't Dean Smith (even if he thought he was) but he knew the game and got more out of his players than anyone but Gregg.

Comment

• Eddie was a Turgeon “at this level” kind of guy.

Comment

Seriously, we have to go through this every once in awhile, but for the people that think Eddie wasn't a VERY good coach, you're simply wrong and don't understand basketball.

If you hate Eddie because he was a New York Jew that didn't fit in here, that's on you and shame on you. He was a GREAT dude. If you hate him because he used this job as a stepping stone, I understand. That always irritates everyone (including me) but you shouldn't have been surprised. But he could and did coach. He wasn't Dean Smith (even if he thought he was) but he knew the game and got more out of his players than anyone but Gregg.
                    As always, thank you

Comment

Seriously, we have to go through this every once in awhile, but for the people that think Eddie wasn't a VERY good coach, you're simply wrong and don't understand basketball.

Where did you see anyone on this board take measure of 'Eddie' the man? Why project your hate like that? Anyway, you made my point; his coaching skills diminished year-to-year during his brief stay. Good lord, Ray Meyers son kicked his a** all over the court didn't he? And it was looking to get worse, much worse, which is why he bailed. No?

And every once in while when someone brings up what a great coach he was, and a swell guy too, i'm sure doc, it will have to be noted that he achieved what he achieved here because he walked into a ready made opportunity to win, in anyone's estimation. You disagree? How could you?

Plain & simple, when Gene's players left he left, so we never really go to see the full 'arsenal' of his coaching chops. And oh yeah, fogler gave us Mike Cohen as a parting gift. Vandy was a better job? Well, with what he had coming in, yeah.

His body language on the sideline was almost as bad as Turgeon,s and that's saying a lot. I saw it. You saw it too doc. We all saw it.
                      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; February 15, 2022, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                        Eddie was a Turgeon “at this level” kind of guy.
                        God***n right he was. We knew it then. We'd seen better basketball than what he was putting on the court (this is where the Chicken fans are gonna' out themselves). With players that weren't his at that.

There's just something about those carolina and chickehhawk guys. You can spot (and hear) em a mile away. Kinda sorta like cold over on the political forum. And some here on the basketball forum...

Dana.jpg

Comment

Stepping stone. Yes, as expected.
                          I always felt recruiting was his downfall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Stepping stone. Yes, as expected.
                            I always felt recruiting was his downfall.
                            This was his 1st head job and he recruited the only way he knew how, just like Carolina, only at a lower level. He hadn't learned how to recruit to situations yet. He would learn later.

He hit a home run with John Cooper and a hustle triple with Guff. Other than that, not so hot. It's a great example of why you don't hire a first timer "at this level".

Comment

He hadn't learned how to recruit to situations yet. He would learn later.
                              At South Carolina, he had a losing conference record, 57-71, which includes an outlier season of 15-1. Are we sure her learned to recruit to situations?

Comment

• He understood who he had to recruit. He did not like it.

Watched Jamarius Burton dominate the Tarheels defensively in the first half in the Dean Dome. The Dean Dome against UNC who is 10-4 in conference and it’s maybe 60% full MAYBE. Perspective.

Comment

Working...
                                X