• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
    Dr. Anthony Fauci promotes fan-free return for sports - ESPN Sports

ESPN News Services
    7:52 AM CT

Asked about the possibility of an abbreviated baseball season and the start of football, Dr. Anthony Fauci said that would happen only if fans are not allowed to attend and athletes stay in hotels when not playing.

"Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious diseases expert and one of the faces of the United States' fight against the coronavirus, says the only way professional sports will happen this summer is by holding events without fans in attendance and by keeping players in hotels.

"There's a way of doing that," Fauci told Snapchat's Peter Hamby as part of a weeklong interview series. "Nobody comes to the stadium. Put [the players] in big hotels, wherever you want to play, keep them very well surveilled. ... Have them tested every single week and make sure they don't wind up infecting each other or their family, and just let them play the season out."...

Fauci's comments come a week after 72% of Americans polled by Seton Hall University's Stillman School of Business said they would not attend if sporting events resumed without a vaccine for the coronavirus. Just 13% of Americans said they would feel comfortable attending games the way they had in the past. A second poll this week had a slight plurality, 46% to 36%, saying the NFL season should not open as scheduled in early September...."
    ​​​​​​​I am genuinely shocked at how many people are that afraid.

The reactions to the virus and the fallout from such scare me a lot more than the virus itself.
    The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

​​​​​​​I am genuinely shocked at how many people are that afraid.

The reactions to the virus and the fallout from such scare me a lot more than the virus itself.
      You're shocked at how many people believe what the nation's top infectious diseases expert says? If we shouldn't believe the nation's top infectious disease expert, then who should we believe?

The death rate in Kansas (deaths divided by confirmed cases) is 4.8%. That is a mortality rate about 25 times higher than influenza. Before mitigation, the reinfection rate (number of people who contract the virus from each infected person) was somewhere above 2, which is an incredibly high infection rate.

When it comes to life and death issues vs. entertainment issues, such as sports, I'd just as soon err on the side of safety rather than entertainment.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

If they reopen everything, without a vaccine, and 72% of people are still afraid of going out.

Yes, that is an alarming number to me.
        The Assman

Comment

I think a lot of people are jumping the gun. I've heard an infectious disease expert who was somewhat optimistic. He thought that in the next few months there would be improvements on Covid treatments, and he thought that the economy would open up gradually. He said that there is still so much we don't know about the virus and that things could change and open up at least some before the vaccine was fully developed. I also heard from an expert who was very pessimistic.

I also listened to an interview of the K State AD who said they were making contingency plans for everything right now (It's still April), and that they haven't given up hope for the season to begin on time. He mentioned playing a shortened football season, etc.

Bottom line, the AAC and others are trying to develop Contingency plans for what they may need to do for all scenarios including worst case to best case. They still won't know for a month or two when they develop plans for opening up the economy. There could be a list of many ways to make the economy safer including people wearing masks, testing to see who has the anti-bodies, etc. Bottom line is that the economy has to open up or a depression will occur. Businesses have to get back to some type of normalcy.

Science has to continue to learn more about this disease. Why some have become sick when other family members haven't who are cooped up in the same environment. Lots of questions and for anyone to say that they know what is going to happen in the next 2, 4,6, or 10 months is just kidding themselves at this time.

The same fear and confusion that Shock Top is talking about is why a parent was arrested in Brighton Colorado for playing catch with his daughter. People are not using common sense at this time and so many are just NUTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
            If they reopen everything, without a vaccine, and 72% of people are still afraid of going out.

Yes, that is an alarming number to me.
            Either people don't understand how developing a vaccine works, or they are irrationally fearful. Or both.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

You're shocked at how many people believe what the nation's top infectious diseases expert says? If we shouldn't believe the nation's top infectious disease expert, then who should we believe?

The death rate in Kansas (deaths divided by confirmed cases) is 4.8%. That is a mortality rate about 25 times higher than influenza. Before mitigation, the reinfection rate (number of people who contract the virus from each infected person) was somewhere above 2, which is an incredibly high infection rate.

When it comes to life and death issues vs. entertainment issues, such as sports, I'd just as soon err on the side of safety rather than entertainment.
              lol the mortality rate isn't that high. About .9% of Kansas residents have been tested. The testing here is a joke. There's WAY more than 1600 people in this state infected or have been infected with it.

Why don't we shut down the country every winter when the flu season comes around? I bet it would save thousands of lives. Do corona deaths matter more than flu deaths?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The bottom line of what we do know is that until the vaccine is developed, people who have underlying health problems (elderly, heart disease, sugar diabetes, etc.) should probably take as many precautions as they can in the next year. But the economy/businesses are going to have to open up and people are going to begin to go out again soon,

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

lol the mortality rate isn't that high. About .9% of Kansas residents have been tested. The testing here is a joke. There's WAY more than 1600 people in this state infected or have been infected with it.

Why don't we shut down the country every winter when the flu season comes around? I bet it would save thousands of lives. Do corona deaths matter more than flu deaths?
                  Dude, the flu has been around for a long time. We have a very good idea of how many will get sick every year and are prepared in terms of those numbers. We have proven, tested, safe treatments, vaccines, and natural immunities that have been developed over many years.

This is something new. These cases are in addition to those who would get the flu or other normal medical issues. Stop acting like you don’t understand that.

Comment

And yes, I agree that as we gain more information, build up medical supplies, hospital capacity, and everything else needed to properly treat those who will get COVID as well as seasonal flu, etc, we should begin to reopen society in a strategic manner.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Dude, the flu has been around for a long time. We have a very good idea of how many will get sick every year and are prepared in terms of those numbers. We have proven, tested, safe treatments, vaccines, and natural immunities that have been developed over many years.

This is something new. These cases are in addition to those who would get the flu or other normal medical issues. Stop acting like you don’t understand that.
                      Dude. So you're saying corona victims matter more?

Do you not think a reduction in flu deaths and its spread would occur if we went into isolation for 3 months?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

One thing that Fever is most likely correct about is that the mortality rate is going to be very close to the flu rate by the time this is over. At least, I feel comfortable saying that it won't be anything close to 4.8% in Kansas. If that were a true number, I'd be very alarmed too. I don't even think there is any way that New York or Chicago will end up with a 4.8% mortality rate, and the population density of New York is one of the biggest reasons why the disease went out of control there.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Dude. So you're saying corona victims matter more?

Do you not think a reduction in flu deaths and its spread would occur if we went into isolation for 3 months?
                          You obviously didn’t read the words I wrote and are being willfully ignorant. That does not surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

You obviously didn’t read the words I wrote and are being willfully ignorant. That does not surprise me.
                            Can’t answer the question. Deflect when you’re beat.

Typical pie in the hole response.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I agree that 4.8% is overstated. That means we are behind the curve in testing, which means we have no idea how many people have it, where those people are, and who they are infecting. Reopening the state with that level of knowledge of the situation is not a good plan. I think the lack of data is one of the main things driving the fear.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

"Fear of Covid-19 is based on its high estimated case fatality rate — 2% to 4% of people with confirmed Covid-19 have died, according to the World Health Organization and others. So if 100 million Americans ultimately get the disease, 2 million to 4 million could die. We believe that estimate is deeply flawed. The true fatality rate is the portion of those infected who die, not the deaths from identified positive cases."
                                Current estimates about the Covid-19 fatality rate may be too high by orders of magnitude, Stanford Health Policy's Eran Bendavid and Jay Bhattacharya write in this editorial published in the Wall Street Journal.

Comment

Working...
                                X