2020-21 Basketball Happenings Around the AAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
    Jalen Green went G league and Greg Brown is expected to go to Texas or G league. So Penny missed on both

Comment

Hardaway's recruiting reminds me of my marksmanship training in the Army. Got to adjust sights or alignment for distant targets.

When you aim high, it's harder to hit your target.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

1F3C70E8-01EA-4095-9A03-A22DEFE89B2D.jpeg

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Memphis just picked up a crystal ball from Evan Daniels for Landers Nolley, who announces tomorrow.

Comment

So let’s recap:

18-19: Penny plays with Tubby’s players and his recruits. Much is made about how much better it will be with Penny’s players. Goes 22-14, 11-7.

19-20: Players transfer, but penny lands nearly every big fish in the pond. #1 recruiting class by a mile. All top 100 kids. Multiple top 10. Gets in trouble with NCAA, #1 recruit leaves mid season and prepares for draft. Players get hurt. Penny still finishes the season with a good roster, just not the embarrassment of riches he thought he was going to steam roll the conference with. Goes 21-10, 10-8.

20-21: Penny struggles to find a freshman that fit UM’s now lofty expectations to fill his scholarship. Lands #1 recruit but player opts for g-league instead. Precious declares for draft. The #1 recruiting class of a year ago has lost its luster and when penny underperforms yet again, blame will be placed on not having the #1 recruit.

Now, Greggs success isn’t much better, however Gregg has been shaving furiously and recruiting different type of players to find what works. We are seeing two different approaches, so far both are yielding the same results. What is different is Penny is continuously recruiting the same way- go after the highest rated players, while Gregg is changing his type every year. GGG tried the big guard 1-4 lineup. Eh. Tried a rangy 2 at point. Eh. Now he is going back to a pure point, a sharpshooter, 2 athletes, and a center. I’m curious to see how they fare compared to UM next year.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                  WOW

Comment

Penny is not a developer of talent. Memphis went after him because Tubby couldn’t keep the local talent. They should have kept tubby and hired penny as an assistant.

Comment

Jeff ******* all over this, right?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Jeff ******* all over this, right?
                        Lol. Crickets!

Comment

Damn, I was really looking forward to Trevin posting him up next year.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyShockerFan View Post

Damn, I was really looking forward to Trevin posting him up next year.
                            Just let Lomax get to the basket on a switch and have one of the new wings jump over him for a dunk.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

TULSA SCORES WITH UNDER-THE-RADAR FORWARD

As I mentioned up top, there were some key decisions over the weekend. I referenced Josh Gray's commitment to LSU and we also covered Dontrez Styles commitment to North Carolina. However, I also wanted to be sure to mention Tulsa picking up Chicago Heights (Ill.) Bloom Township combo forward
                              Christian Shumate

At 6-foot-6 he's a long and wiry combo forward who is among the most athletic players in the senior class. He's really bouncy, quick to the rim and plays with a pretty good motor too. He will be a big-time finisher in transition and a versatile defender while he puts on some needed muscle.

I spoke with a lot of coaches about him shortly after the season and Frank Haith and his staff have landed a really good piece for next season and beyond.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X