No announcement yet.

WSU VERSUS NEWMAN PREDICTIONS AND PREGAME DISCUSSIONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're not going to get good home games without going on the road. And a road loss isn't as bad as one at home. It makes me wonder how hard they really work on scheduling if they won't consider great games like that
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      Sorry, I view this as a defeatism attitude and very BCSish. You're practicing the very thing that you complain about....not getting quality opponents to play you at home. You want to really prove yourself? Then go out there and beat some reasonably tough opponents, even on the road. If you feel deserving of Dancing, then you should feel confident of beating your piers on the road. If they have a lower than normal RPI, you should win on the road, but a loss wouldn't be the end of the world. If they have a higher RPI than norm, a win on the road can greatly help punch your ticket without being a negative if you lose. Then, there's the quality home games you get in return.

I've always like how Few and Gonzaga went out on the road and proved themselves worthy. Once reaching that goal, they now get respectable deals with BCS teams and quality TV exposure, both of which should add to your recruiting efforts.

Agree, this is the type of agreement we should jump on at this point...and be willing to go to a good BCSish school with no return game. We have to climb the ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
        On the Locker Room show, Jans said they probably wouldn't be interested in a home-and-home with Utah State because we'd probably lose the road game.
        I heard him say that too, but I took it as a joke. I think he was laughing a little bit as he said it.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
          I heard him say that too, but I took it as a joke. I think he was laughing a little bit as he said it.
          He was indeed.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
            Whether he meant it to sound as a joke or not, does not negate that they wouldn't be interested in a home-and-home. I think that if they were the least bit interested in persuing such a matchup, he would not have put the comment in the context that he did.

Comment

We shouldn't go on the road to Utah State. We should take a couple of buy games with no return against higher profile teams. I think muot season ticket holders would happily give up a CSU or Newman for a roadie against a name team.
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                We shouldn't go on the road to Utah State. We should take a couple of buy games with no return against higher profile teams. I think muot season ticket holders would happily give up a CSU or Newman for a roadie against a name team.
                All the scheduling talk, and it's good stuff, somewhat ignores the unseen difficulties with scheduling, but I agree with BOBB, we are 1 "anywhere, anytime, anyone" game away from where I'd like to see our schedule.

Depending on the MTE being a 3 or 4 game package, we currently have 13 or 14 games available to schedule non-conference. Let's say 13 due to a 3 game tourney. That leaves 10 left. BB and return BB, now it's 8 (and I'm sick of the delayed return game, just play the damned game). We should play Tulsa every year, and they know it too. 7. Intrust buy game, 6. I believe we should do the same in the Sprint Center...it can be done, once a year. 5. AAA game, 4. Now you just have to fill 4 games at home or otherwise. Somewhere in 348 D1 programs, there has to be a similar type team looking for a home and home every 2 seasons. Maybe it's USU for 2 years, maybe Gonzaga, maybe New Mexico etc. Somewhere we can find 1 program every two years. Now we're at 3. If one of them is Newman, I have zero beef. Newman, Pitt State, ESU, FHSU should make up our exhibition and if needed, 1 buy game every season. 2 left. We should be able to find 2 teams in need of money every year to come here and play with no return date and still make our financial budget. That's 9 Valley home games, 1 BB, 2 road apples, 1 in state game and 1 TU or TBA H&H. That's 14 + 2 special site games. Doesn't that work for everybody?

Not to fly totally off topic, but I also believe it's time the Valley be a little more assertive in the BB. Let's face it, our conference is the premier conference in this event. Not always the premier team, but usually the top 6-10 games include about 4 MVC teams. I'm all for no more road games in the BB. I don't mind the return road games, but we stay home for the important ones, or we get out. I'm sure I am in the minority on this but it's what I think.

Comment

Whether he meant it to sound as a joke or not, does not negate that they wouldn't be interested in a home-and-home. I think that if they were the least bit interested in persuing such a matchup, he would not have put the comment in the context that he did.
                  Unbelievable! If true, this is about the most damning comment any coach can make about their program.

So what is their overall scheduling plan? I would love to see their list of imagined above average teams in this country who are just begging to come to Koch and play us without a return game?

That list must be humongous.

Comment

It was a joke. Period. And a compliment to USU. Nothing more with no valid argument to turn it into a negative.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      All the scheduling talk, and it's good stuff, somewhat ignores the unseen difficulties with scheduling, but I agree with BOBB, we are 1 "anywhere, anytime, anyone" game away from where I'd like to see our schedule.

Depending on the MTE being a 3 or 4 game package, we currently have 13 or 14 games available to schedule non-conference. Let's say 13 due to a 3 game tourney. That leaves 10 left. BB and return BB, now it's 8 (and I'm sick of the delayed return game, just play the damned game). We should play Tulsa every year, and they know it too. 7. Intrust buy game, 6. I believe we should do the same in the Sprint Center...it can be done, once a year. 5. AAA game, 4. Now you just have to fill 4 games at home or otherwise. Somewhere in 348 D1 programs, there has to be a similar type team looking for a home and home every 2 seasons. Maybe it's USU for 2 years, maybe Gonzaga, maybe New Mexico etc. Somewhere we can find 1 program every two years. Now we're at 3. If one of them is Newman, I have zero beef. Newman, Pitt State, ESU, FHSU should make up our exhibition and if needed, 1 buy game every season. 2 left. We should be able to find 2 teams in need of money every year to come here and play with no return date and still make our financial budget. That's 9 Valley home games, 1 BB, 2 road apples, 1 in state game and 1 TU or TBA H&H. That's 14 + 2 special site games. Doesn't that work for everybody?

Not to fly totally off topic, but I also believe it's time the Valley be a little more assertive in the BB. Let's face it, our conference is the premier conference in this event. Not always the premier team, but usually the top 6-10 games include about 4 MVC teams. I'm all for no more road games in the BB. I don't mind the return road games, but we stay home for the important ones, or we get out. I'm sure I am in the minority on this but it's what I think.
                      You can add to the list of games the MVC-MWC challenge. I really hope that one continues, but all this conference realignment stuff is getting messy. That's a great series.

While I agree that we happen to be the premier BB conference and need opportunity against higher level opponents, the truth is this event gives us two solid games each year. Utah St. isn't as good this year as in the past, but they do give us a solid opponent that will help our RPI (by avoid a 300+ opponent). Also, since we control our own destiny, we can bank on playing a solid RPI opponent on TV if we do well. No, the name isn't as glamorous, but that guarantees 2 solid games a season, where the MVC-MWC only gives us one. I know we feel like some of the better programs are dodging the event that could make it better, but we are still getting a decent result. This year there is a chance we could play Murray State. Next year we play VCU again. I like those games, and I believe everyone else should as well.

Doc, I also agree that we are one "anywhere anytime" game away from a great non-con schedule this year. I really think that is all that is missing. That and perhaps we should go try and get some A-10 teams on the schedule. I think if we play more teams in the eastern time zone, that can only help put us in the consciousness of all the East-Coast Bias minds.
                      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

. . . beating your piers on the road.
                        That's a humorous mental image!

Comment

@Steeleshocker: The MWC is falling apart. On balance today still a good deal for both conferences, but let's see what shakes out.
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                            @Steeleshocker: The MWC is falling apart. On balance today still a good deal for both conferences, but let's see what shakes out.
                            Yeah, that's why I left this out of the equation. I don't expect that to continue beyond next season.

Comment

I ran some numbers at MVCFans.com on different conferences/teams to see where we should be looking when the MWC/MVC challenge ends. With them losing BYU already and losing SDSU and BSU soon, things aren't looking great. New Mexico and UNLV are what's left. Maybe Nevada, I haven't really looked at them since they were in the WAC. Not looking all that great. If they were able to add USU and maybe another school that would keep the MWC strong, we could consider continuing the challenge. Maybe those are some things I'll look into with more down time.

Of course, we'd love to have a challenge with the A10, but that's not going to happen and I can see why they wouldn't be interested. But it's definitely something Elgin should look into. Outside of that, the CAA looks like the best option. I would also say CUSA would be great, except we have no idea of knowing what they'll look like from year to year. The only other possible conference that could make sense is the Horizon, and it's not that sexy.

I may run some numbers on Fresno and Nevada and see what it'd look like if they added USU and maybe someone else and compare that to what the MVC has to offer and go from there.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Newman beat Southwestern by 9...unless there is a COMPLETE overlook, I think it will be in excess of 35 point margin.There is NO one at Newman who could play at WSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X