State of the Basketball Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    I may have to duck for cover for even suggesting this, but Marshall might benefit from some anger management counseling.
    I imagine that he is getting some, actually

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

YA THINK ?!?!
      You seem to know Gregg Marshall good enough that you and he are on a first name basis.

Has anyone mentioned to you the author Norman Vincent Peale and his new best seller “The Power of Positive Thinking “? You may have heard of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not sure what to read into that, if anything.
        Neither do I, but it shouldn't have been said publicly!

Comment

I may have to duck for cover for even suggesting this, but Marshall might benefit from some anger management counseling.
          Probably more like "have his blood pressure checked". Some parents can do that to ya.
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

I kind of think of it like his go to move is red-ass and that has always got him results. When the results started not to be to his liking rather than look to something different technically or emotively, he just doubled and tripled down on the red-ass. Any of you that have been through boot camp/basic training know that there are three types of drill instructors.
            1. The ones that really don't care. As long as you don't flat out embarrass them they are more than happy to coast through on to their next assignment. They aren't looking to work any harder than they have to.
            2. The ones that only have the red-ass move you don't really respect them, but you do fear them, and do just enough to avoid their direct fire.
            3. The ones that build you up and recognize your accomplishments, but then hold you fully accountable when you **** up, those are the ones you run through a wall for.

I think HCGM has let a lot of #2 creep in.
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• "Roll with the punches. Tomorrow is another day." Dicky Fox

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

I kind of think of it like his go to move is red-ass and that has always got him results. When the results started not to be to his liking rather than look to something different technically or emotively, he just doubled and tripled down on the red-ass. Any of you that have been through boot camp/basic training know that there are three types of drill instructors.
                1. The ones that really don't care. As long as you don't flat out embarrass them they are more than happy to coast through on to their next assignment. They aren't looking to work any harder than they have to.
                2. The ones that only have the red-ass move you don't really respect them, but you do fear them, and do just enough to avoid their direct fire.
                3. The ones that build you up and recognize your accomplishments, but then hold you fully accountable when you **** up, those are the ones you run through a wall for.

Seems like you don’t listen to much of his post game interviews, mid week press conferences, or coaches shows.

Comment

Conjecture from afar courtesy of BOBBB

Comment

Careful BOBB, you may have given too much careful consideration to Marshall and his management of circumstances within his control.

Consider the import of his exclusive interview with Taylor - in Marshall's mind there is nothing wrong with his coaching whether in game or in practice, so he plans to make no changes.

Reaching your "fill of Marshall" may be just around the corner?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not sure what to read into that, if anything.
                      Caution regards giving Boatright's comment too much careful consideration, your conclusion might disturb certain posters on this board.

Comment

My basic training drill sergeant was a #3 type and that guy did more for my growing up and taking life more seriously than anybody else in my life. I was gung-ho and followed orders. That meant I didn't get dropped for pushups. When I did get dropped for 20, I ran through them so fast that I got ordered to do 50. I cruised through that.

At that point my drill sergeant and I had an unspoken understanding. He knew I would do anything he asked, whether it was deserved or not, and I knew he was going to use me as an example to the rest of my platoon. I was willing to accept "undeserved" punishment in order to demonstrate to others that they needed to follow orders. My doing 50 pushups was probably easier for me than some of the others doing 10.

Perhaps my military experience has biased my attitude towards Marshall. My military experience is that the military has the most hard-assed approach to dealing with young people that goes beyond what can be imagined if you haven't been through it.

There is no way that Marshall is harder on players than basic training is hard on their recruits. The only people who don't credit military training for making them a better person are those who washed out or were kicked out because they couldn't handle what it meant to be a soldier for the United States.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

My basic training drill sergeant was a #3 type and that guy did more for my growing up and taking life more seriously than anybody else in my life. I was gung-ho and followed orders. That meant I didn't get dropped for pushups. When I did get dropped for 20, I ran through them so fast that I got ordered to do 50. I cruised through that.

At that point my drill sergeant and I had an unspoken understanding. He knew I would do anything he asked, whether it was deserved or not, and I knew he was going to use me as an example to the rest of my platoon. I was willing to accept "undeserved" punishment in order to demonstrate to others that they needed to follow orders. My doing 50 pushups was probably easier for me than some of the others doing 10.

Perhaps my military experience has biased my attitude towards Marshall. My military experience is that the military has the most hard-assed approach to dealing with young people that goes beyond what can be imagined if you haven't been through it.

There is no way that Marshall is harder on players than basic training is hard on their recruits. The only people who don't credit military training for making them a better person are those who washed out or were kicked out because they couldn't handle what it meant to be a soldier for the United States.
                          Yuuuuuut.

I said something similar in the Wedge thread. I've had hard leaders, and in my experience, they are the best leaders.

Comment

• I can't see Marshall being any harsher than coaches I had and I had no basic training. Even when a player "threw up", or became "sick", he had some ridicule thrown in his direction that included references to his "manhood" or lack of it, and "get back in here as soon as you take care of your business" type of thing. Not every coach was like that, but you got the picture and coddling wasn't a part of your athletic existence. That was a few years back, but "Red-Ass" as Bob called it was a part of our athletic lives, and was never questioned. In fact, we expected it. I do think that the "Star" culture has crept into our athletics from the AAU experience but as we found out from Craig Porter, his Vincennes coach still was hard on his players and it didn't sound like Porter questioned it. Several players including Jackson (Juco commit) said that they want to have a coach who is hard on them.

Now we all saw the video from Rutgers where physical abuse was a part of their lives, and that should not happen. I haven't heard any of that. Just that our coaches should take some of the blame for going from 15-1 to 23-8.

Comment

• I remember a practice from Wessel's freshman year. Going five on five, EW was in the right-hand corner. GGG blew his whistle, everybody stopped. GGG glared at EW. EW's head snapped back slightly like a light-bulb just went on, he ducked his head and ran to the left wing. GGG blew the whistle and tossed the ball to EW. No words -- none.

Later in the practice, they'd been doing fast breaks, 4 on against the managers, and it came time for the 4th rotation. There were only three guys remaining (12 of 15 ran the first three sets). GGG angrily said, "if you guys can't count to four, this practice is over." Ron Baker said, "I got this Coach" and ran to the other end of the court to join the remaining three.

Did GGG insult kid's intellect? Sure did. Did he use profane language? Some, but near as much as I expected. Did he touch players? Only a quick swat of "good job." Did he build players up with praise? Certainly did.

I surely wouldn't have hesitated to be in that practice at that age, but I'd be dead tired following.
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Caution regards giving Boatright's comment too much careful consideration, your conclusion might disturb certain posters on this board.
                                And what conclusion would that be? Last time I checked, Marshall is still employed.

The worst.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X