State of the Basketball Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Caution regards giving Boatright's comment too much careful consideration, your conclusion might disturb certain posters on this board.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
      I remember a practice from Wessel's freshman year. Going five on five, EW was in the right-hand corner. GGG blew his whistle, everybody stopped. GGG glared at EW. EW's head snapped back slightly like a light-bulb just went on, he ducked his head and ran to the left wing. GGG blew the whistle and tossed the ball to EW. No words -- none.

Later in the practice, they'd been doing fast breaks, 4 on against the managers, and it came time for the 4th rotation. There were only three guys remaining (12 of 15 ran the first three sets). GGG angrily said, "if you guys can't count to four, this practice is over." Ron Baker said, "I got this Coach" and ran to the other end of the court to join the remaining three.

Did GGG insult kid's intellect? Sure did. Did he use profane language? Some, but near as much as I expected. Did he touch players? Only a quick swat of "good job." Did he build players up with praise? Certainly did.

I surely wouldn't have hesitated to be in that practice at that age, but I'd be dead tired following.
      Love this!! The snowflake generation is always looking for an excuse and a way out rather than working hard and accepting some tough love. They are so coddled and quick to cry foul when they get their little feelings hurt. And in the case with ES it appears to be even worse as he has a family who enables his immature snowflake attitude.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        I can't see Marshall being any harsher than coaches I had and I had no basic training. Even when a player "threw up", or became "sick", he had some ridicule thrown in his direction that included references to his "manhood" or lack of it, and "get back in here as soon as you take care of your business" type of thing. Not every coach was like that, but you got the picture and coddling wasn't a part of your athletic existence. That was a few years back, but "Red-Ass" as Bob called it was a part of our athletic lives, and was never questioned. In fact, we expected it. I do think that the "Star" culture has crept into our athletics from the AAU experience but as we found out from Craig Porter, his Vincennes coach still was hard on his players and it didn't sound like Porter questioned it. Several players including Jackson (Juco commit) said that they want to have a coach who is hard on them.

Now we all saw the video from Rutgers where physical abuse was a part of their lives, and that should not happen. I haven't heard any of that. Just that our coaches should take some of the blame for going from 15-1 to 23-8.
        I also recall Stevenson saying this when he committed. So hopefully these new guys aren't all talk like Erik was

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Love this!! The snowflake generation is always looking for an excuse and a way out rather than working hard and accepting some tough love. They are so coddled and quick to cry foul when they get their little feelings hurt. And in the case with ES it appears to be even worse as he has a family who enables his immature snowflake attitude.
          Come on people, please stop these generalizations.

People aren’t the same across the board, they never have been. There have been “SnOwFlAKes” since the beginning of time. There are still plenty of kids who want to work hard and understand the concept of tough love.

If anything, complaining about “kids these days” reflects poorly on prior generations who were responsible for raising them.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Come on people, please stop these generalizations.

People aren’t the same across the board, they never have been. There have been “SnOwFlAKes” since the beginning of time. There are still plenty of kids who want to work hard and understand the concept of tough love.

If anything, complaining about “kids these days” reflects poorly on prior generations who were responsible for raising them.
            Thank you.

I've known more "snowflake" Boomers than I have ever met Millennials. Sure, I've worked with and managed some whiny and entitled Millennials, but they are not nearly as numerous or insufferable as some Boomers I've had to deal with. But never ask a Boomer like that about their own generation, they're the first to tell you how awesome and tough they are and they NEVER miss an opportunity to try to prove it to you. This constant generation bashing some do just shows how strikingly insecure they really are. It's really astounding to me.
            Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; April 1, 2020, 03:20 PM.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Thank you.

I've known more "snowflake" Boomers than I have ever met Millennials. Sure, I've worked with and managed some whiny and entitled Millennials, but they are not nearly as numerous or insufferable as some Boomers I've had to deal with. But never ask a Boomer about their generation, they're the first to tell you how awesome and tough they are and they NEVER miss an opportunity to try to prove it to you. This constant generation bashing they do just shows how strikingly insecure Boomers really are. It's really astounding to me.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I remember at a party Frankamps brothers gf said that Conner thought self was an ass. Girl 2 replies yeah you never see Snyder being an ass. I chime in with yeah Snyders a hard ass too every coach in that position has to be an ass. You are fighting for respect from the sports community, your community, current and future players. Perfection is what is expected when you show up. We all know perfection is unobtainable but too keep that job and win takes a perfectionist mentality as in you can always do better even if you were perfect. But not 24/7 ass gotta relate and chill to seem human **** Bill Belichek Self.... Couldnt decide which bill to **** hehe

Comment

• Originally posted by Durtymofo20 View Post
                  I remember at a party Frankamps brothers gf said that Conner thought self was an ass. Girl 2 replies yeah you never see Snyder being an ass. I chime in with yeah Snyders a hard ass too every coach in that position has to be an ass. You are fighting for respect from the sports community, your community, current and future players. Perfection is what is expected when you show up. We all know perfection is unobtainable but too keep that job and win takes a perfectionist mentality as in you can always do better even if you were perfect. But not 24/7 ass gotta relate and chill to seem human **** Bill Belichek Self.... Couldnt decide which bill to **** hehe
                  Your professionalism and sound sources belie your name.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Your professionalism and sound sources belie your name.
                    My GED says under qualified do not retain.

Comment

• I am like most on here unabashedly a fan of our University. I am also the guy with the glass mostly full This year I bought in big time with our last two classes of young talent. Off to a great start and hearing nothing but compliments on the attitudes and learning the system from the big guy himself. Loved the way these guys defended and seemed to actually keep away from the reaching fouls that drive me nuts. When the competition started to get tougher aka conference play a couple of things started to bother me. Even though the defense was still there for the most part shots quit falling and our back court guys spent too much time going east and west. Body language told a different story than the one that was put out for public consumption. Eventually we wound up where we are today. New faces with lots of hype and promise. I will probably keep a wait and see mentality with this group and temper my expectations and enthusiasm until the conference is actually being played. Don't get me wrong I will still be there yelling and hope that each and everyone of them lives up to huge expectations they probably have for themselves. But on paper these guys look pretty damn good. Go Shocks

Comment

• An interesting twitter convo from a couple of UConn fans...

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                          An interesting twitter convo from a couple of UConn fans...

Can’t say I disagree Londo’s response. Of course, it’s all speculation, but that’s what many of us here on SN do best!

Comment

I do agree that our main focus has been upping the athleticism of our team, and I think that aspect is one that we've improved on. Which is wild, because we were still EIGHTH in adjusted defensive efficiency, even with the athletic limitations of some of our rotation players, specifically Sherfield, Stevenson, Poor Bear, and AM.

How it works out? That remains to be seen. But there are plenty of reasons be both optimistic and pragmatic about what next year will bring.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I'm not sure I'd go as far as Londo did. We didn't just chase all of the players off because we wanted to gain athleticism. However, we did lack athleticsm at the point guard and big (4 and 5) man positions, and we may have gained a little depth regarding athleticism. However, our classes are more equal now, hopefully our attitudes are better, and while we aren't finished yet, as I said, I think our bigs and point guards will be more athletic as we move forward.

Comment

• Oh yeah, and we didn’t chase them all off at all, remember?

Comment

Working...
                                X