• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer trip is likely scuttled.

Comment

• From Instagram
      Attached Files

Comment

• I wonder what kind of beef Shaq has with Marshall because I distinctly remember reading an interview where Fred mentioned he felt like coach kind of babied Shaq. I think it was that one Athletic article that came out during Shaq's senior year so whatever he's hinting at with these posts, he's probably the only player who never actually experienced the full brunt of Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Dude View Post

Shockers are playing this summer near where AM grew up. I think he will stick around for that. Plus it will give all the newcomers a chance to play together before the season starts.
          Guessing those plans are out the window.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShocker2006 View Post
            From Instagram
            went back to find this interview and there's actually a lot there that's pretty enlightening for the current situation and i still don't know why shaq is hinting like he's still got issues with him? i always liked shaq when he was here but the passive aggressiveness on social media now is a lot coming from a dude who wouldn't be where he is now playing professionally if marshall wouldn't have stuck with him.

“I feel like I’m a good leader, but I don’t care about being liked,” says VanVleet, who is now a backup point guard with the Toronto Raptors. “I was pretty hard on him. We definitely had a lot of arguments and just me cussing him out and telling him the truth. I’m not sure he’s ever had anybody tell him the truth as much as I did early on. He was just so damn lazy. You’ve got me and Ron [Baker] and those guys who were already polished and professionals and taking care of our business, and then you’ve got this kid who was undisciplined and needed some grooming.”

Marshall grooms at high decibel levels, but he had to adopt a different approach with Morris. “He’s extremely laid back,” Dave Blumenthal says. “He doesn’t like to be screamed at. He’s not going to bounce up and get going when you scream at him, but if you ask him nicely to do something, he’ll do it immediately.”

Marshall learned to tone it down.

“I saw Coach Marshall change a lot in his years dealing with Shaq, more so than any other player I’ve seen in my years there,” VanVleet says. “Coach is kind of one way, and he doesn’t change. You’re either getting in his way, or if you don’t, you don’t make it. I think he realized the talent Shaq had and he babied Shaq quite a bit, because he had to. He didn’t want to lose him. He didn’t want to break him, but there were really, really low points for both of those guys where they were at in their growth with each other. I’m sure there was a few times where Shaq was on the verge of not being there anymore.”

Morris agrees. It was almost an annual occurrence. He would meet with Marshall after the season, and the threat was there: Oh, you might be gone. In the end, Marshall would decide to stick with him. “He’s never stopped coaching me,” Morris says. “He’s had times where he’s wanted to stop. But I’ve been here for five years. He’s always stuck with it.”
            Link to the article for those that have an Athletic subscription. Fred is always an excellent quote. https://theathletic.com/213611/2018/...ble-backstory/

Comment

• On the last radio show, Wedge spoke of how as a coach you have to know how to push player's buttons, and it can be vastly different. The butt chewing one kid needs to get motivated will be completely wrong for another who doesn't respond to being yelled at, like Shaq.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• If Shaq wants to burn his Shocker legacy down in flames, so be it.

Just don’t ask for help putting out the flames in the future.
                The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                  If Shaq wants to burn his Shocker legacy down in flames, so be it.

Just don’t ask for help putting out the flames in the future.
                  I heap everything from the last three years on Shaq, good and bad. His team was lazy, uncoachable, and is the reason Marshall had to burn it down in the first place. He was a crappy leader, had a poor work ethic, and did wrong by Fred more than just not showing up to get in shape.

Shaq never had a Shocker legacy in my eyes, not a good one anyways.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

I'm hoping AM does the same. If he ends up being our starting center next year, it's going to be a long season.
                    I've seen some really really bad takes on this board and never felt the need to call one out. If someone wants to broadcast to the world what a terrible sports fan and person they are... By all means feel free. But this one takes the cake.

The kid has done nothing but cheer on his teammates and reflect positively on the program. No he isn't the next coming of (insert large foreign center superstar), but he is a quality kid. To publicly wish him gone is in terrible taste and reflects poorly on the Wichita State fanbase and the City.

Either grow up or keep your cheeto crusted fingers off the keyboard!

Comment

• I prefer Doritos myself
                      The Assman

Comment

• Shaq eventually was successful (probably not as much as he could have been), despite his best efforts to be overweight, out of shape, and lazy. It always seemed that HCGM kind of dragged him, kicking and screaming, in the right direction. Leaving him here when the team traveled to at least one game, making him ride the exercise bike on the sideline, making him Fred’s project, etc. are probably things that are making Shaq resentful now.

Comment

• wait a minute.. is echenique going to get another year (coronovirus related)?

Comment

• Is he still pissed for riding the stationary bike while all of his teammates played the game? Or maybe still a bit perturbed for staying in Wichita while his brothers boarded a plane headed for a game?

Stay classy Shaq.

Comment

• To heck with Shaq and his Benedict Arnold alter ego. 10 years from now, he'll probably be close to 4 bills and selling shoes at Champs.

Comment

• A former player once told us (coworkers and i) "coach makes you feel like less than a man" in film sessions. Another player with him agreed that what had happened in the prior film session was wrong. Both of those guys stuck it out. HCGM is the best coach we've ever had IMO, but he is verbally abusive. Supposedly he was easier on this group than ever, but obviously something went on. With the new transfer rules maybe guys are quicker to say "forget it, it'll be better somewhere else." Especially higher rated guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X