2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

"Carr also sank 3 of 4 free throws in the final 43 seconds, sealing the outcome by providing a 52-43 lead."
    I remember listening to the Larry 'Cheatin' Brown call in show several days prior to the game. Some 'KIA' KU fan living in Wichita called into "Squawk Talk" with a detailed scouting report on the Shockers. I remember him saying how easy it was going to be to beat us and said 'Henry (Carr) The 8th' was nothing but arms and legs and would be easy to contain. He said fouling Henry would be a good strategy, because he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the free throw line.

I wish I had a recording of that call; Brown and Max both got a pretty good chuckle from the caller and noted the game was far from a gimmie. By the way, Henry was on 'The Drive' with Bob and Jeff recently and I missed the show; did anyone listen?

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

I'm all for unconventional coaching methods. If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

]

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
        I think that’s how Henry Carr did it...
        I think that was the purpose of his pre free throw ritual. But elbow position becomes automatic with repetition.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Comment

• [QUOTE=WstateU;n1238412]

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Just shows the importance of warming up. Coming off the bench cold, the adrenaline got to him and he overthrew his first attempt of the day. With that in his head he really didn't have a chance on the second attempt, especially when pressured by a defender from behind and the big guy breaking free up the middle.

(Christ I miss sports.)
            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I think that was the purpose of his pre free throw ritual. But elbow position becomes automatic with repetition.
              We all have seen very good professional golfers lose their putting stroke and they have had repeatedly practiced the same stroke and rituals, many times in their career. It sometimes becomes more than just repetition and that is when it gets really difficult to solve.

Comment

• Need the Rick Barry method

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  Need the Rick Barry method
                  Pogo, you might find a poscast interesting about Rick B, Wilt, and Shaq and free throws. Malcolm Gladwell has a podcast called Revisionist History and one of the episodes is "The Big Man Can't Shoot". A lot of conversation with Rick about that style and his discussions with some big men about using it. May sound boring but it is a really good episode.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teddy Graham View Post

Pogo, you might find a poscast interesting about Rick B, Wilt, and Shaq and free throws. Malcolm Gladwell has a podcast called Revisionist History and one of the episodes is "The Big Man Can't Shoot". A lot of conversation with Rick about that style and his discussions with some big men about using it. May sound boring but it is a really good episode.
                    Seriously???Malcolm with a podcast about shooters??? I'M IN!!!

Comment

• If you watched Wilt, and Shaq shoot free throws, I'd recommend that they try to shoot underhanded too. They were probably lifetime 35% free throw shooters and never ventured beyond 5-10' from the basket. Wilt and Shaq almost exclusively shot hooks, and dunks from the low post.

That's not where the average player is and I hope that the 6'8" Mo learns to shoot a jumper from 10-15' as well, to round out his basketball abilities before he leaves WSU. Carl Hall became a player with a short jumper and I think that Mo can too.

Comment

• Wilt did shoot underhand for awhile.

He shot better, but his pride told him he'd rather shoot worse than look silly.
                        The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                          Wilt did shoot underhand for awhile.

I don't remember him shooting otherwise

Comment

• During the 1961-62 season, though, he achieved a career high 63.6% from the free throw line. And he did it, in part, by moving to the “granny style,” underhand free throw.

Though one of the best NBA free throw shooters of all time and a contemporary of Chamberlain’s, Rick Berry, shot the same way, Wilt abandoned a technique that significantly improved his results.

Though he hit a career low of 38% in the 1967-68 season, Wilt never returned to underhand free throw attempts.

“I felt silly, like a sissy, shooting underhanded. I know I was wrong,” Chamberlain later wrote in his autobiography. “I know some of the best foul shooters in history shot that way. Even now, the best one in the NBA, Rick Berry, shoots underhanded. I just couldn’t do it.”
                            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                              Wilt did shoot underhand for awhile.

Will tried every way possible; he moved to one side, then the other, then CLEAR back to the top of the key. If he was trying NOT to look silly, he failed. His FT% made him look silly, not his style.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                                Need the Rick Barry method
                                Just take your time, Mo. Whatever it takes.

Comment

Working...
                                X