No announcement yet.

Wichita State (#23) at Tulsa Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• he travelled badly on that last shot. oh, well..

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

You don't showboat on an opponent's court. Period. The end. Winning the game is all the statement that needs to be made. I remember when some team beat the Shox on our court and slid across the WuShock at center court. WSU fans were PISSED!

If showboating is part of what makes a player good, then that player should be able to produce after showboating, and Stevenson has been a liability ever since that game.

It seems more likely that a player should show humility after his team gave up 9 points in 65 seconds, rather than showboating to the opposing team's fans after finally pulling out a win over a team tied for last in the league in double overtime.

A team contending for first place in the league shouldn't have a player showboating on the court after a double-overtime win over a team contending for last place in the league. That demonstrates a level of immaturity that isn't normally seen on a Marshall team. Stevenson certainly has not backed up his swagger since that game.

FVV had some swagger. He didn't point it out. He just had it. He didn't need to point it out to opponents. When he clowned an opponent, he just walked off the court. He didn't need to do anything he hadn't already done. Stevenson doesn't seem to share that attitude.
      Eric isn’t FVV. Few people are. Players motivate themselves through different means. Eric has stated he likes opposing fans heckling him. It motivates him.
      Whatever he supposedly did such as blowing kisses to a UConn fan base that looks down on the AAC and its teams doesn’t warrant the vitriol.
      I’m standing by the guy. 19 year olds need guidance and support not put downs and judgmental comments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        Did the refs review anything? ES made what looked to be a clear 3 in the first half, they ruled it a 2 and didn't see them review it. In the second half Dexter had a shot blocked that looked like it was clearly a goal tend. Didn't see a review of that either. Refs weren't horrible but I think Tulsa had 12 fouls and I think 6 of them were on offense. Did they really only foul 6 times on defense? Probably not.
        ​​​​
        The goal tending was a clear missed call. Dex one timed the board off the glass then the Tulsa help defender hit it clearly after it hit the glass. Cost us 1 point right before half (Dex made both FTs). The 3 in question you can't see from the replay. No doubt it's close but the official right there with a 20 times better angle than either of us immediately signaled 2 before it went in. I can accept that. Joiner walked twice on the game winner. Shuffled both feet when he caught it (called all the time in the half court) and again when he shot (please don't give me the both palms up ball out of control call, that's a travel). But, we have to make more (and take better) shots.

Still obvious how young we are. We have 1 senior and 2 juniors. Tulsa has 2 seniors, 7 juniors and 2 of those are 4th year juniors.

We're going to be out of gas at the wrong time of the season, and frankly I don't know how we're going to fix that or even if we can fix it.

Defensive scout was fantastic and executed brilliantly. I don't know what else you can expect from a team, defensively. Now, offensively, that's another story.

Good kids that played exceptionally hard in a difficult environment where they led for basically the entire game (35+ minutes). If we get a shot up there instead of the extra pass (hard to blame someone there) then at worst TU was going to have a second less to go full court, if anything at all. TU made one more play, they're playing with a ton of confidence right now and it showed. I'm proud of our guys for battling as hard as they did. Almost pulled it off. Seriously, I get everyone's frustration, but if JB hits a 6 footer instead of the turnover, we're tied for 1st in the league.

Comment

• Personally, I believe a few have blown the ES incident out of proportion nearly all, including ES, anywhere have forgotten all about it.
          I seriously doubt that is a reason he has not shot well lately, He is not the only one shooting poorly and not singularly responsible
          for the teams poor play on offense. Too much dribbling, poor ball movement, poor passing, and players standing around watching
          all the dribbling and not moving without the ball. Improve in those areas and the shooting will improve, as well. I also agree with
          anothers comment about our size. Overall, we are a small team. For some time now I have advocated playing a bigger line up. We
          have not used AM and PB to our advantage and by not doing so I don't think we have, or will, reach or potential. Put me down as a
          poor poster for bringing AM up so much but if he only gets 1-2 minutes a game I don't see ow people put him down so much. As
          always I will point to his play mid January thru the end of last season as a measuring stick against some pretty good competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
            So far defense gets an “A”. Offense gets a “B-“
            B- is too generous
            I felt sick after the game

Comment

• How many shot clock violations did we have?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

B- is too generous
                I felt sick after the game
                That comment was 6 minutes in. I’d give them D by the end too

Comment

• Maybe this is a sign that baseball is going to turn the corner. It seems like WSU can’t have a great baseball and basketball program at the same time.

Comment

• Great post by WuDrWu, for some clarity and perspective. We lost on the road at a league leader, with probably the best chance to win at the end.

I told my girl "I bet there was some stat that says we had an 83% chance to win when we had the ball for the LAST SHOT.

Such a missed opportunity. Our defense was stellar, and you can't unlearn defense. Our offense needs to catch up a LOT. Coach, we need some kind of adjustments. That said, our destiny is in our own hands, and we're either good enough to make a run now, or we continue to tread water. This next game will tell us exactly what we need to know. Go Shox!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockAzs View Post
                      Great post by WuDrWu, for some clarity and perspective. We lost on the road at a league leader, with probably the best chance to win at the end.

I told my girl "I bet there was some stat that says we had an 83% chance to win when we had the ball for the LAST SHOT.

Such a missed opportunity. Our defense was stellar, and you can't unlearn defense. Our offense needs to catch up a LOT. Coach, we need some kind of adjustments. That said, our destiny is in our own hands, and we're either good enough to make a run now, or we continue to tread water. This next game will tell us exactly what we need to know. Go Shox!!
                      Yep, losing @ Tulsa is not a big deal but it was definitely a missed opportunity. The only game I’m still upset about was getting bent over by a bad Temple team. We have managed to remove our margin for error and will have to pick up a coin flip game or two at some point if we want to dance.

Comment

• We're 325th in FG%. That's why we lost and will continue to lose basketball game this season. We're historically bad on offense.

Comment

• I think Haith might have given Bruce Weber a call for advice on how to extend your term of employment, when you’re otherwise mediocre to below-average at your job. Can you imagine talking to Weber on the phone? Like someone with throat cancer in a room filled with helium.

Comment

• We lost because we don't know how to play against a zone. If Tulsa would have played strictly man-to-man, it wouldn't have been a contest. Plus Tulsa would have had more fouls.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                              We lost because we don't know how to play against a zone. If Tulsa would have played strictly man-to-man, it wouldn't have been a contest. Plus Tulsa would have had more fouls.
                              I agree but that ain't gonna happen, cause they were trying to win the game

Comment

• We won the first half. Then they made adjustments at halftime. If that was not allowed, we would have won.

Comment

Working...
                                X