No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Memphis Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the moment I don’t think Temple and UCONN look as tough as I previously thought while USF looks tougher. However, #RoadGamesAreHard so I’m not prematurely depositing those as wins.

Memphis and Houston are currently two top teams in the league along with WSU but we get them at home.

It will be a difficult five game stretch but I don’t think going 5-0 or 4-1 is out of realm of possibility. I’d say it’s more likely than 0-5 or 1-4. I think we get at least 3 of the upcoming 5.
    Last edited by pie n eye; January 8, 2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
      The next FIVE games are going to be tougher than what we have faced thus far with the exception of WV. Personally,
      I will be happy if we can win three of them. Winning four would really be great but I'm doubtful of that. I have made a
      prediction every game thus far and have the same record as the team. I wish I was getting better vibes about
      tomorrow night but for some reason I am not and I usually go with my gut rather than my heart. Having said that I'm not
      sure a little slump the next five games might not be a positive for us in the longer run. When I say little I mean only
      winning a couple of those next five. I think we lose tomorrow night and split the next four after that followed by a strong
      finish due to our depth, talent and experience gained along the way. Come and get me but that is just the feeling I am
      getting. Just remember I am one of the few that predicted 24 W's when most were hoping for 18-22 at the beginning.
      Memphis 73-68. Even if we win I'd be surprised if we didn't have an emotional letdown Sunday.
      Fortunately, the games that count are played on the court and not in our heads! I know what you mean about being concerned with this game; but that's a good thing. During the streak, I remember thinking of every reason that the next game, whoever it was, would end the streak. Normal fear I think when things are going well.

I feel good about tomorrow night. The guys looked super tough against Mississippi and I'm praying that continues!

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
        The next FIVE games are going to be tougher than what we have faced thus far with the exception of WV. Personally,
        I will be happy if we can win three of them. Winning four would really be great but I'm doubtful of that. I have made a
        prediction every game thus far and have the same record as the team. I wish I was getting better vibes about
        tomorrow night but for some reason I am not and I usually go with my gut rather than my heart. Having said that I'm not
        sure a little slump the next five games might not be a positive for us in the longer run. When I say little I mean only
        winning a couple of those next five. I think we lose tomorrow night and split the next four after that followed by a strong
        finish due to our depth, talent and experience gained along the way. Come and get me but that is just the feeling I am
        getting. Just remember I am one of the few that predicted 24 W's when most were hoping for 18-22 at the beginning.
        Memphis 73-68. Even if we win I'd be surprised if we didn't have an emotional letdown Sunday.
        I hope you're wrong. I think we will hold serve at home and win 2 of 3 on the road. That will put us at 4-1 in the next 5. Worst case would be 3-2 and best case 5-0 IMHO. If we can't beat Memphis and Houston at home we probably can't win the conference.
        I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

At this point I am thinking you better be ready to play each and every game here on out or you could get bit. Looking to me like it will be a real grind. Sure could use Dex getting his game on track.

After tomorrow will start finding out if this Shocker team will continue the 3G tradition of Road Warriors.

Comment

We gotta force Memphis into a halfcourt offense and play well against their press. We have the players that are capable of handling these things. Foul trouble might be a factor as we try to defend Jefferies and Precious. Both guys are more athletic than our bigs, although our depth will come in handy. On the other hand, if either of these guys get into foul trouble, Memphis could be doomed.

Comment

Quotables: Gregg Marshall Pre-Memphis

"It's big boy basketball in early January. It's a meaningful game. I think it's going to be really, really entertaining."

Comment

2-2 over the next four may not be ideal, but doesn’t make or break our season. Really need to defend our home court and hope the second half of our schedule some of these other teams wear down a bit.

Comment

Shockers vs Memphis Top-25 Showdown - Game Notes

SCOUTING MEMPHIS:
                  • Memphis is in its second season under Penny Hardaway. He starred for the Tigers in the early 90s before launching a 14-year NBA career.
                  • Memphis is co-favoite in the AAC (with Houston), despite losing all five starters from a team that finished 22-14 and advanced to the NIT second round. The Tigers had one of the nation's highest-rated recruiting classes.
                  • Memphis is out to a 12-2 start and won its conference opener against Tulane on Dec. 31. Saturday's home loss to Georgia snapped a 10-game winning streak and dropped Memphis 12 spots to No. 21 in the AP Poll.
                  • Memphis ranks second nationally in field goal percentage defense (.352) and fourth in blocks (6.8). The Tigers are outscoring opponents by an average of 17.0 points and out-rebounding them by 7.1 boards-per-game.
                  • The Tigers can score, too. They're averaging a league-high 79.3 points. Per KenPom's tempo ratings, Memphis is one of the nation's 10-fastest-paced teams (75.7 possessions-per-40-minutes). The average Tiger possessions lasts less than 15 seconds.
                  • Preseason freshman of the year James Wiseman left the team last month but the Tigers still have plenty of talent, including a pair of five-star freshmen forwards Precious Achiuwa and D.J. Jeffries.
                  • The 6-foot-9 Achiuwa is the conference's leading rebounder (10.2) and ranks among the top-20 nationally in that category. Achiuwa is averaging a team-high 14.6 points with 23 blocks and has an AAC-best seven double-doubles.
                  • Jeffries averages 12.0 points, 4.7 rebounds and just over a block-per-game while shooting 56% from the field.
                  • Sophomore Alex Lomax is tied for the AAC lead in assists (4.7) and No. 2 in A:TO ratio (2.06). His 25 steals are tied with Boogie Ellis for the team lead.
                  MATCHUP MASHUP:
                  • Reserve point guard Alex Lomax originally signed with WSU but was granted his release after Penny Hardaway accepted the Memphis job.
                  • Memphis' Isaiah Maurice spent his first two collegiate seasons two hours up the road at Kansas State. He redshirted the 2015-16 season and averaged 3.0 points and 8.8 minutes in 2016-17 as a redshirt freshman.
                  • Before landing at Memphis, Maurice helped South Plains (Texas) College win the 2018 NJCAA national title. He scored 20 points in the championship game, played less than an hour away in Hutchinson, Kan.
                  • WSU junior Trey Wade also played a year at South Plains (in 2018-19) after transferring from UTEP.
                  • Two of the youngest teams in college basketball will share the floor. Memphis has seven freshmen and four sophomores on its 12-man roster. Maurice (a senior) is the only upperclassman. Ten of the 13 scholarship players on the Shockers roster are underclassmen.
                  • Maurice (who played a season at K-State) and WSU junior Asbjørn Midtgaard are the only scholarship players with more than two years of Division I experience.
                  • Drawing largely from class listings and minutes played, KenPom rates Memphis the nation's least-experienced team with an average of 0.43 years. WSU is also among the bottom-20 (1.01).
                  • Memphis has The American's top scoring offense (79.3). WSU leads the conference in scoring defense (62.1).
                  • The teams share one common opponent. Memphis defeated Ole Miss at FedExForum, 87-86, back on Nov. 23. The Shockers downed the Rebels 74-54 last Saturday.

Comment

Flim Flam Penny = 63

Straight Cash Marshall = 75

Go Shockers!!!

Comment

• I'm getting a kick out of some Memphis fans who perceive the Shocker 'black out' as being over-the-top and this game is our 'super bowl'. Having a 'black out' is simply another way to bring fun for the fans in attendance and the team wearing black unis is a fun way they can participate. It's not like HCGM directed the university to have a 'black out'. To some Memphis fans, it's almost as if this game is no more important to them as a game with USF. I'm getting a kick out of the indifference that these fans are attempting to portray.

Comment

• Maybe Memphis should have SuperBowl'd Georgia.

Too soon?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          Maybe Memphis should have SuperBowl'd Georgia.

Too soon?
                          Too late!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                            Maybe Memphis should have SuperBowl'd Georgia.

Too soon?
                            Ouchies.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• We open as a 4 point favorite.

Comment

• Originally posted by bighouse View Post
                                We open as a 4 point favorite.
                                Get the latest Wichita State Odds, see their recent and upcoming schedule, matchups, injuries, stats, and team news.

Comment

Working...
                                X