Wichita State vs Ole Miss Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    Shout-out to Trey Wade who had a little dip a few games ago but is really finding his role with this team. He's coming along very nicely. Really providing some good defense and rebounding and is starting to find some rhythm within the offense.
    Fits right in with the pattern we've seen with the better JuCos. It takes them half a season to settle in. Actually most of the JuCos we've had have been "the better JuCos", and pretty much none of them have shown their capability in the first semester of their first year.
    Last edited by Aargh; January 4, 2020, 11:06 PM.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxilla View Post
      Listened to some of their postgame on TuneIn. Coach Davis was really good....extraordinarily dry with his "and Stevenson's gunna be a 1st rounder whenever he decides to come out" comment.

Very complimentary of WSU and looked forward to the return trip next year and challenged the Ole Miss faithful to make every game an atmosphere like THAT ONE.

Comment

• nm -- slip of the finger

(But impressive anyway to win by 20 with no offense from Etienne, and Dennis still searching.)

Comment

• With what Shamet, VanVleet, and to a lesser extent, Baker, have shown in the league, guards coming out of WSU have a pretty good rep in the NBA.

Stevenson's shooting numbers being similar to Baker's and Baker's shooting numbers in the NBA aren't encouraging, but Stevenson has time to push his % higher. It's gonna be tough to get drafted as a 6'3" SG . Baker was only 6'4", but he was 210 - 220.

Stevenson is really looking like a more athletic version of Baker.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Before the T on Coach Davis, we raked their driving wing and there was no call, then Trey got away with a pseudo screen on the Stevenson 3. The funny part was it appeared Gregg "told" on Kermit. The ref walked by and Gregg pointed as if to say "Hey, Coach Davis isn't all that happy with your no call, you should check that out". lol

No problem with the F1 on Erik. Really hard foul with tons of contact. Close, but no beef here.

Trey also cleared traveled when he was complaining under the basket. That being said, Trey quietly does work every game and has been a HUGE positive addition to this team. Works hard, does a little of everything, and makes very few mistakes with a motor that rarely slows down and plays all the minutes asked of him.

Thought our team defense was outstanding. Broke down offensively as we tried to manage the game late, but just busted ass all night long on defense.

Can't believe how good Erik is right now. Never expected it. ALMOST want him to let off the gas a shade....ALMOST. Question for ShockRef on the play Erik got cut, he one handed defected the ball into backcourt, causing the Rebels to take the ball out of bounds under our basket. The shot clock was reset, which I call complete bs. In no way, shape or form did we ever possess the ball. Right call or wrong call?

Looks like Jamarius is lining up better on the FT line.

Bench is too short right now. Need IPBC, Noah, Dex and DG to step up. AM will find time in good matchups, I'm not concerned about that. But we can't last 20 more games before the dance with this crew at 30+ minutes every game.

13-1...man is that good. How many better records in the history of the program after 14 games besides 13-14?

Did Ole Miss REALLY bus here?

Watched a little of the 2 Valley games on tv tonight. Thank you American Conference.

This team is tweaking the Play Angry motto. It's still angry, but it's with a little flair too. I like it.

Really good crowd. Only 7 home games left this season, time to make every one of them hell on earth for the visitors.

Pretty big game on Thursday. Go Shocks.

Last edited by WuDrWu; January 5, 2020, 05:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Question for ShockRef on the play Erik got cut, he one handed defected the ball into backcourt, causing the Rebels to take the ball out of bounds under our basket. The shot was reset, which I call complete bs. In no way, shape or form did we ever possess the ball. Right call or wrong call?
              I questioned that as well at the time it happened.

I will give the refs credit for getting one thing correct. After the 50-50 ball that was knocked out of bounds was called jump ball the scoreboard operating did not switch the possession arrow and left it in Ole Miss' favor. There was quite an extended stretch before the next jump ball but when that did occur the refs got it right.

On the play where Erik cut his wrist it looked to me (after watching the replay), like he may have caught the bottom of the frame that the signage on the front of the scorer's table. I would imagine 3G would like to have Brad Pittman address that and come up with a remedy. A foam or some kind of rubber or plastic guard attached to that bottom edge probably would do the trick.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 5, 2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Also saw the Ole Miss bus outside and was shocked. Hope somebody took a picture of it for the next time we are going head to head on a recruit.

Also watched a little Valley tonight and it just amazes me how much difference in quality compared to the American. That sounds a little elitist, but it is just so obvious.

Comment

• Good Win! Fun game to watch!
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Still pist at the officials. They tried to keep it clean for the first 15 minutes and then spent the rest of the game making certain that they called an even number of fouls on both teams

Comment

13-1...man is that good. How many better records in the history of the program after 14 games besides 13-14?
                      Best one loss starts (by my count) in the history of Shocker Basketball.

2013-2014 35-1
                      1926-1927 19-1
                      1953-1954 16-1
                      2012-2013 15-1
                      1982-1983 13-1
                      2019-2020 13-1

Rarefied air indeed.

Next question. What is the % of home games where a fast start forces the opponent to call a timeout before the 1st media timeout? Asking for a friend.

Update: Only 3 times in 11 games this season. I may check a few other years, but it seemed higher. I wonder if Gregg has called a pre-first media TO 3 times in 13 seasons.
                      Last edited by WuDrWu; January 5, 2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Vodka!
                        Heiniken and pizza at Defazios for my post-game celebration...yummy!!!

Comment

Best one loss starts (by my count) in the history of Shocker Basketball.

2013-2014 35-1
                          1926-1927 19-1
                          1953-1954 16-1
                          2012-2013 15-1
                          1982-1983 13-1
                          2019-2020 13-1

Rarefied air indeed.

Next question. What is the % of home games where a fast start forces the opponent to call a timeout before the 1st media timeout? Asking for a friend.

Update: Only 3 times in 11 games this season. I may check a few other years, but it seemed higher. I wonder if Gregg has called a pre-first media TO 3 times in 13 seasons.
                          Okay, this is exciting!
                          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Part of my reason for floating that question is to accentuate the influence on the game that we have as fans. Coach Davis called a 30 around the 16 minute mark in the first half. Now, you have a use it or lose it so it's not a huge deal but he had a media basically at the next dead ball. Still, the crowd was into it after our lottery pick hit his 2nd three and he wanted to make a point with his team. No problem.

But then he had to burn another one when things were starting to get out of hand at the 5:11 when JB hit that corner 3 and the lead was 11. Now he's only got 2 left. Far from ideal, especially on the road.

But then the real mistake was after Trey Wade's dunk at about the 1:30 mark. Yes the game was getting away from the Rebels, but it wasn't going to get any worse than say 6 more points, and that might happen anyway. The place was rocking and he reacted instead of thinking. If he'd thought or listened to staff, take your time out of bounds, be patient, you're going to be under a minute after the next possession and then you have a chance to get the last shot if you play good d or at worst, force a quick last possession by WSU. Instead, the deafening roar of the crowd makes him react with a bad 3rd first half timeout and the team is screwed if they need them late.

#ShockerNation

Comment

• 3 bad timeouts. He exhibited the panic he was trying to prevent in his players.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I questioned that as well at the time it happened.

I will give the refs credit for getting one thing correct. After the 50-50 ball that was knocked out of bounds was called jump ball the scoreboard operating did not switch the possession arrow and left it in Ole Miss' favor. There was quite an extended stretch before the next jump ball but when that did occur the refs got it right.

On the play where Erik cut his wrist it looked to me (after watching the replay), like he may have caught the bottom of the frame that the signage on the front of the scorer's table. I would imagine 3G would like to have Brad Pittman address that and come up with a remedy. A foam or some kind of rubber or plastic guard attached to that bottom edge probably would do the trick.
                                NASCAR uses the Steel and Foam Energy Reduction Barrier (SAFER Barrier). Would be wise to Install that in other arena areas where ES may end up. :-)
                                For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                                - said no one ever...

Comment

Working...
                                X