Positive Thoughts For Dex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I'm confident we have the 'right guy' at the helm to make whatever decisions need to be made... that's why 'WE' pay him the BIG BUCKS.
    Dex is very lucky Marshall was in a "holiday mood". HCGM knows better than most what preferential treatment can do to a team full of boys attempting to become men... particularly under the tough mental conditioning employed by his program. Rules must be clear and consistently enforced or chaos would ensue. Look no further than Jailbird U to see the effects of inconsistent team management practices - a never-ending culture of instability and Monday morning visits to the bail bondsman.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Dex is very lucky Marshall was in a "holiday mood". HCGM knows better than most what preferential treatment can do to a team full of boys attempting to become men... particularly under the tough mental conditioning employed by his program. Rules must be clear and consistently enforced or chaos would ensue. Look no further than Jailbird U to see the effects of inconsistent team management practices - a never-ending culture of instability and Monday morning visits to the bail bondsman.

T

It's a complex situation for sure

Comment

T

I think you 'nailed' the reasons why he said bye bye to TA...
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
          athletes gotta remember when you take time off that you’re subject to losing your $hit... aka starting gig. ride the pine and work your way back in with work ethic and good practices.
          Right on!

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

He will certainly have to work his way back but he was pretty much in that position before he left. He did not start the 3 games prior to his departure against Central Arkansas, Oklahoma State or Oklahoma.
          He was down the bench due to poor performance. Now he can add conduct unbecoming of a teammate (AWOL). The hill he has to climb will be higher now than before he left. Historically Gregg Marshall helped his players "see clearly" via never-ending line drills and extended vacations to Camp Pine. Is Wichita State's own Million Dollar Man getting soft? I hope not. Many, many eyes are watching how this unfolds. If it ends up just being business as usual with Dex getting a "much needed" rest and relaxation over Christmas break (while his teammates were forced to come back and work), short Shocker basketball stock until your hands bleed.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I think you 'nailed' the reasons why he said bye bye to TA...
            Teddy...

Teddy made the news. Teddy was runnin' wild. Teddy needed a tight curfew, a stable AF girlfriend/_ _ _ _-buddy, and a team manager handcuffed to the arm he doesn't use for wankin'.

Teddy is gonna make the B10 pay. We will be saying "what if" a lot I predict.

T

Comment

• Being a cellar dweller at Nebraska, I think Teddy is the one that’s gonna be saying “what if”.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Dexter was not AWOL. He was AWL.

Severe bouts of anxiety is an illness/injury just like IPBC having the flu and Billy Bob having a sprained ankle. Give 'em meds, and get them back in the gym ASAP (physical stress is generally therapeutic). You treat and handle it like any other illness/injury.

No idea if that's part of the problem (or the entirety of it), but if it is -- he'll be fine!
                Last edited by Kung Wu; January 2, 2020, 06:43 PM.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Just watching the way his teammates react to his reappearance tells me there probably wasn't resentment nor envy about the break. I have a feeling they all know *why* and don't wanna be him.

Comment

He was down the bench due to poor performance. Now he can add conduct unbecoming of a teammate (AWOL). The hill he has to climb will be higher now than before he left. Historically Gregg Marshall helped his players "see clearly" via never-ending line drills and extended vacations to Camp Pine. Is Wichita State's own Million Dollar Man getting soft? I hope not. Many, many eyes are watching how this unfolds. If it ends up just being business as usual with Dex getting a "much needed" rest and relaxation over Christmas break (while his teammates were forced to come back and work), short Shocker basketball stock until your hands bleed.

T

What are you talking about? “conduct unbecoming of a teammate”? In one of HCGM first statements about Dexter stepping away he said: “Dex is one of the best teammates you can have.”

Here’s what a couple of the guys “forced to come back to work” had to say on DD’s return yesterday:

ES, “I’m just happy the crowd showed him the love that they did at halftime. That’s what he needs. He needs someone there with him showing him that love. And he’s got 10,000-plus doing it.”

JB, “He’s a tremendous player and he went through his ups and downs, but we’re just grateful to get him back. We’re thankful the crowd showed him the support he needed during a rough time. I’m positive he’ll come back and help this ball club.”

DW, “I hope he can come back and start rolling again. I know he’s a good player. We just want him to get rolling again, that’s the biggest thing.”

It doesn’t sound like DD’s departure/return is a detriment to them, nor impacting the team’s morale. Conversely, it sounds like his teammates are happy to have him back and concerned about their brother.

Additionally, you keep making the “AWOL” comment, you do understand what the term AWOL means: Absent Without Leave. In the military (where the term AWOL comes from), it refers to leaving your job without permission from your superiors, AKA you have not received approved leave. In no interview I’ve heard w/ HCGM has he ever implied that DD didn’t have his permission to take time off and deal w/ the issues he’s dealing with (assuming mental). In fact, here’s one of HCGM’s first statements

“He’s got a lot of things going on right now and he just felt like he needed to step away. We talked about it. What can we do? We love you. You’re a big part of what we do, you’re a big part of why we’re 9-1 and hopefully will be a big part going forward…He was struggling, but I didn’t know to what degree he was struggling. He’s got some things going. He’s got to figure it out on his own time. We’ll be patient and support him in every way. We’re thinking about him and praying for him every day.”

Trust me, as a person in a Command position w/ nearly 20 years in the military, if a troop decided to go on leave without my permission, I’m not going to “be patient”.

However, if he/she came to me to discuss some personal challenges (especially if their in the mental nature), I’m going to make sure he/she has the resources they need to support/resolve these issues. I see that as what HCGM is doing w/ Dex and Dex’s departure wasn’t without HCGM’s permission. So stop using the term AWOL, if you don’t know what it means!

As a Commander, the biggest fear is missing the warning signs of a troop struggling and they commit the final act. I’ve been fortunate not to face this, but a buddy of mine just experienced this last month. It crushes the moral of the unit, not to mention my buddy wondering what he missed (and don’t forget the family members). I commend HCGM in the handling of DD. I’m not saying DD was thinking about the final act, but there are always warning signs. Often, quick action can keep a person’s mind from escalating to a place you don’t want it to go. HCGM and his teammates are doing the right thing...showing him love. Which is something it sounds like Shocker Nation showed when DD stepped into the arena yesterday. This is not a case of DD needing some “rest and relaxation”.

Your attitude towards DD’s situation was the attitude the military used to have, “just suck it up”, “you’ll hurt your clearance” and of course the “a real man doesn’t show weakness”. All those things led to countless troops committing the final act because they didn’t have the support system to lean on to get them through the challenges they were facing. We’ve learned the hard way and are in the process of changing that stigma that you seem to want to perpetuate on this site. NOTE: PTSD challenges from combat is a serious issue, however, many of these challenges aren’t related to combat duty. Often we find it’s family, financial or work related issues that start the downward spiral.

HCGM and his teammates are doing the right thing by their brother. I know HCGM will play DD Saturday if he’s ready and he thinks he can help. If he’s not, he won’t play. It’s not going to be a earn your way out of the “dog house” or he has to “earn his spot back on the bench” type of situation.

While I know it won’t, I’d hope there we will be no more disparaging posts regarding DD’s challenges he’s going through and his return to the team. Regardless, I don’t plan on posting anymore regarding this particular situation.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I’m just tired of seeing some of these comments and couldn’t hold back anymore.

Comment

• Never mind
                      Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; January 2, 2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Right on!

T

WTF????

Comment

Right on!

T

Is the Million Dollar Man getting soft? You actually made a whole thread last year calling him and the players he recruits soft. 13 games into this season and the coach and team proved you wrong so you may not want to go down that road again.

Comment

• Enough attacking Dex. HCGM and the team are very happy to have him back and so am I.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Below is an interesting article on how mental fatigue can impair physical performance. This is one possible reason why a 4.0 student taking tough classes may find his physical performance suffering, while the paper-class taking one-and-dones at UNC -- that don't even have to show up for class -- don't seem to have any issues at all, even during finals week:

Scientists point the finger at the brain chemical adenosine for the endurance-sapping effects of mental fatigue.

Not saying this is part of Dex' issue, as I have no idea what Dex' issue is/was. Really I just wanted to make fun of UNC.
                              Always a worthwhile objective.

Comment

• Backseat coaches are the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X