Positive Thoughts For Dex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    I've played straight-up blues. I've played blues/rock. I've played jazz/blues. I was invited to play and sing at the creation of the Wichita Blues Hall of Fame.

I played the Allman Brothers version of Stormy Monday and have done that version behind probably half a dozen female singers. I played with a drummer who had played with Herbie Hancock and Oscar Peterson. That drummer was a white guy.

The race card has already been played in this thread, so it doesn't bother me to say that the two white guys who played at the gig for the creation of the Wichita Blues Hall of Fame were me and the bass player I played with. That bass player was invited to play with most of the people being inducted into the Wichita Blues Hall of Fame. The black guys being placed in the Blues Hall of Fame had no problem asking a white guy to sit in with them. If they had made an album, they would have wanted the white guy on the cover.

Anybody who's followed blues in Wichita from its heyday would remember Johnny Harris and Artie Hicks. Those were good friends of mine and I sat in with them regularly at Bill's Le Gourmet. The memorial for Artie brought Johnny back from San Diego and brought in musicians from Kansas City for one of the best blues/jazz gigs EVER in Wichita at the former Lettuce location.

Now, back to the subject, but this isn't going to be real positive.

Dennis. Left. The. Team.

I really hope "the team" has an understanding of why he left, believes he had legitimate reasons for doing that, and will accept the fact that he got some free time that the rest of them would have loved to have, but gave that up to be a part of "the team".

It can be really difficult for "the team" to accept players who don't have to follow the same rules the rest of them follow. I hope that, if Dex returns, the rest of the players understand his situation and accept that he needed something they would have liked but didn't do.

He hasn't entered the portal, so it's likely he's coming back. Basketball has been (probably) the thing he relied on for placing value on his life and somehow that went away. That's a lot for someone 19 to deal with.
    "If you're not into the whole brevity thing."
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      I've played straight-up blues. I've played blues/rock. I've played jazz/blues. I was invited to play and sing at the creation of the Wichita Blues Hall of Fame.

I played the Allman Brothers version of Stormy Monday and have done that version behind probably half a dozen female singers. I played with a drummer who had played with Herbie Hancock and Oscar Peterson. That drummer was a white guy.

The race card has already been played in this thread, so it doesn't bother me to say that the two white guys who played at the gig for the creation of the Wichita Blues Hall of Fame were me and the bass player I played with. That bass player was invited to play with most of the people being inducted into the Wichita Blues Hall of Fame. The black guys being placed in the Blues Hall of Fame had no problem asking a white guy to sit in with them. If they had made an album, they would have wanted the white guy on the cover.

Anybody who's followed blues in Wichita from its heyday would remember Johnny Harris and Artie Hicks. Those were good friends of mine and I sat in with them regularly at Bill's Le Gourmet. The memorial for Artie brought Johnny back from San Diego and brought in musicians from Kansas City for one of the best blues/jazz gigs EVER in Wichita at the former Lettuce location.

Now, back to the subject, but this isn't going to be real positive.

Dennis. Left. The. Team.

I really hope "the team" has an understanding of why he left, believes he had legitimate reasons for doing that, and will accept the fact that he got some free time that the rest of them would have loved to have, but gave that up to be a part of "the team".

It can be really difficult for "the team" to accept players who don't have to follow the same rules the rest of them follow. I hope that, if Dex returns, the rest of the players understand his situation and accept that he needed something they would have liked but didn't do.

He hasn't entered the portal, so it's likely he's coming back. Basketball has been (probably) the thing he relied on for placing value on his life and somehow that went away. That's a lot for someone 19 to deal with.
      Art Hicks's version of "All is fair in love" the Stevie Wonder tune is the bomb. I still have that record.
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
        No clue if there’s any truth to it, but I just read that Dex was on a plane headed back to Wichita this morning. Of course it was on Facebook, so I take it with a grain of salt, but the lady that said it has seemed to be relatively well informed in the past.
        Dex posted on his Instagram a photo tagged in the new Orleans airport 7 hrs ago... So it's possible
        Screenshot_20200101-131445_Instagram.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Gregg Marshall is the embodiment of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

In the context of Shockernet and Wichita State Athletics, I disagree.

Top 50 programs all over the nation are filled with challenges and drama. The history books only recognize the ones that persevere.

Had Dexter's BEST friend been shot last weekend, a leave of absence would be understandable. Having a two year post-mortem breakdown is not...

It is a convenient excuse for a Sophomore slump though...

T

I respectfully disagree, it is how HCGM puts food on the table but it is just a game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, and I would prefer Coach be more like General Mad Dog Mattis. HCGM needs to master not only to platoon element scheme & maneuver but also theatre wide strategy. Gunnies are bad asses but their focus is platoon and company elements.

Go Shocks!

RLTW!
          Last edited by DUShock; January 1, 2020, 04:16 PM.
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• He's on the sideline!!!

Comment

• He’s here on the sideine

Comment

• Yeah!!!
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Sounds like Dexter is for sure back. I don’t know how to post twitter quotes, but Taylor Eldridge basically posted that Dex said he was ready to get back to work and also mentioned that Dexter was dealing with a minor hip injury.

Comment

• It's clear he saw the negative comments on Shockernet about his leave of absence and hurried back to town.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Comment

• Right on Dexter! Balls-out the rest of the season! Glad you’re back!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          Now I would like Dex to transition from all the love, heart, talk to more of a "Lets go knock the **** out of all those ******* ************ and win this ******* game! **** Lets **** *** ***********!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Now I would like Dex to transition from all the love, heart, talk to more of a "Lets go knock the **** out of all those ******* ************ and win this ******* game! **** Lets **** *** ***********!!!"
                            Dang sailor, do you kiss your mom with that mouth?
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I would also like like to hear AM say the same thing, except with a Danish accent.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X