Erik Stevenson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Do you think Gordon and Bilau are part of the solution? Assuming, of course, both play the 4 next year.

I am a Mitdgaard fan, but I am concerned about the 5 next year without JE. AM needs to get tougher and fast. There's no reason he shouldn't be the court bully. And MU needs to figure out how to play without fouling every 15 seconds.
    AM will not get tougher...it's not in his DNA. MU just isn't a skilled big man at this level. P-Bear doesn't appear to have much of a future here. We are in major trouble at the 5 next year, unless the ghost of JE appears.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
      AM will not get tougher...it's not in his DNA.
      AM needs to read my autographed copy of How To Be A Dick For Dummies.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

AM needs to read my autographed copy of How To Be A Dick For Dummies.
        I helped on that book and you took all the credit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

I helped on that book and you took all the credit.
          And your girlfriend.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Something changed with Erik. He didn't magically get tired and stay tired after he fouled out of the UCONN game. The entire team looked like they didn't want to be in Philly, including coach. Then Houston came to town and Erik was literally walking around during pregame and during intros, where as all season he was bouncing around looking like he was ready to play. Then the 'meeting' happened and "some guys are more worried about their stats" landed Erik on the bench, where he has stayed, for long stretches. The kid didn't magically forget how to be amped up, how to dive for loose balls, how to have that swagger he played with. Ole Miss he dove into the scorers table to save a ball... not sure he's been on the floor since? Last night I watched his exchange with GGG when he missed an assignment and was yanked immediately. He lobbied to stay in, said a couple words it appeared GGG didn't like and he was not seen again until 2.5sec left. To me, there is something between coach and player. Erik was this teams best player for 4 games, and the leader that was demonstrating all of the play angry aspects on the court. Then he blew a kiss and winked at a camera and now he's not allowed to work through any mistakes on the floor. Your best player needs to be afforded the same opportunity to work through mistakes that you are giving a certain freshman PG. If Erik is going to be pulled immediately for mistakes, I want to see 52 pulled the for same dumb mistakes.

Lots going on. And from my seat a lot of it has to do with coaching.
            -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

• Look at who we had two years ago: Shaq, Willis, Markis, Rashard and Rauno. That’s five guys who were either skilled offensively, tenacious and strong or athletic and you didn’t feel bad about any of them being on the court (except for Rauno sometimes). We need to get back to that level of talent and experience. I think JoJo has a chance and I hope DG puts on some weight to give himself one as well.
              Last edited by shoxlax; February 7, 2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• For full disclosure, Erik has been my favorite Shocker since he first put on his Shocker jersey. I thought and still do that he had the potential to have a more successful Shocker career than Ron Baker due to his IMO greater athleticism and swagger. This season I began tracking his statistical performance with the South Carolina game as I became convinced he had figured out how to play NCAA D1 basketball in that game and established himself a visible leader of the Shocker team.

His stats for the time period South Carolina through and including UConn - 43.7% FG%; 47.1% 3PT%; and 81.6% FT%

His stats for the six game period VCU through and including UConn - 39.1% FG%; 40.5% 3PT%; and 79.5% FT%

His stats for the six game period Temple through Cincinnati - 24.4% FG%; 19.2% 3PT%; and 63.6% FT%

Issues that may or may not influence the above stats

1. Lost starter role against USF (played 12 minutes)

2. Minutes/game declined from 30.2 (South Carolina through UConn) to 19.8 (Temple through Cincinnati)

3. Shocker record with Erik as a starter 17-3; Shocker record with Erik off the bench 2-2

I am sure Erik is as frustrated as I am regards these statistics; unfortunately I do not have a clue if a single or multiple events triggered this fall-off in performance. I pray that Erik does know and is able to revert to his previous level of performance of being a recognized team leader who makes a significant contribution on both ends of the court.
                Last edited by Shocker1976; February 7, 2020, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slalomshocker View Post
                  Something changed with Erik. He didn't magically get tired and stay tired after he fouled out of the UCONN game. The entire team looked like they didn't want to be in Philly, including coach. Then Houston came to town and Erik was literally walking around during pregame and during intros, where as all season he was bouncing around looking like he was ready to play. Then the 'meeting' happened and "some guys are more worried about their stats" landed Erik on the bench, where he has stayed, for long stretches. The kid didn't magically forget how to be amped up, how to dive for loose balls, how to have that swagger he played with. Ole Miss he dove into the scorers table to save a ball... not sure he's been on the floor since? Last night I watched his exchange with GGG when he missed an assignment and was yanked immediately. He lobbied to stay in, said a couple words it appeared GGG didn't like and he was not seen again until 2.5sec left. To me, there is something between coach and player. Erik was this teams best player for 4 games, and the leader that was demonstrating all of the play angry aspects on the court. Then he blew a kiss and winked at a camera and now he's not allowed to work through any mistakes on the floor. Your best player needs to be afforded the same opportunity to work through mistakes that you are giving a certain freshman PG. If Erik is going to be pulled immediately for mistakes, I want to see 52 pulled the for same dumb mistakes.

Lots going on. And from my seat a lot of it has to do with coaching.
                  "Then the 'meeting' happened" - to what meeting are you referring?

"To me, there is something between coach and player." - I posted earlier regards possible "events" pure speculation on my part but at least I have a fellow Shocker fan with the same concern.

"Your best player needs to be afforded the same opportunity to work through mistakes" - I could not agree more

Comment

• 'the meeting' is reference to the post game discussion in the locker room where it was reported things were aired out. GGG had a quote something to the effect of "some guys are more concerned about getting their stats".
                    -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

• Just one game but AM was plus 6 and MU minus 9 in their minutes. As for ES I really don't believe he was
                      being singled out for stat padding. He strikes me as an unselfish player. I also think he flourished in being
                      seen as a team leader. Having said that I believe that the three soph's established some synergy late last
                      season and that we should start/play them together again and bring the two freshmen off the bench. Hopefully they
                      can restore that synergy and all of them play well together. TE has played/shot well on offense but the last
                      couple games simply got lost on defense several times. Has to clean that up but I must add that the soph's have
                      also had defensive lapses the past couple games. I just think that the soph's have better chemistry with one another
                      on offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Do you think Gordon and Bilau are part of the solution? Assuming, of course, both play the 4 next year.

I am a Mitdgaard fan, but I am concerned about the 5 next year without JE. AM needs to get tougher and fast. There's no reason he shouldn't be the court bully. And MU needs to figure out how to play without fouling every 15 seconds.
                        MU for as hard as he plays, doesn’t have the height or the hops to be an everyday 5 in this league. He’s a guy you want on the team, just not your starting post.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                          Just one game but AM was plus 6 and MU minus 9 in their minutes
                          I don't think you want to go there where AM is concerned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                            For full disclosure, Erik has been my favorite Shocker since he first put on his Shocker jersey. I thought and still do that he had the potential to have a more successful Shocker career than Ron Baker due to his IMO greater athleticism and swagger. This season I began tracking his statistical performance with the South Carolina game as I became convinced he had figured out how to play NCAA D1 basketball in that game and established himself a visible leader of the Shocker team.

His stats for the time period South Carolina through and including UConn - 43.7% FG%; 47.1% 3PT%; and 81.6% FT%

His stats for the six game period VCU through and including UConn - 39.1% FG%; 40.5% 3PT%; and 79.5% FT%

His stats for the six game period Temple through Cincinnati - 24.4% FG%; 19.2% 3PT%; and 63.6% FT%

Issues that may or may not influence the above stats

1. Lost starter role against USF (played 12 minutes)

2. Minutes/game declined from 30.2 (South Carolina through UConn) to 19.8 (Temple through Cincinnati)

3. Shocker record with Erik as a starter 17-3; Shocker record with Erik off the bench 2-2

I am sure Erik is as frustrated as I am regards these statistics; unfortunately I do not have a clue if a single or multiple events triggered this fall-off in performance. I pray that Erik does know and is able to revert to his previous level of performance of being a recognized team leader who makes a significant contribution on both ends of the court.
                            Erik's drop-off in performance probably has more to do with how other teams are defending him than anything else.

Comment

• I hope it works out for him but as others have mentioned, the body language is not good.

He seem to have a real problem keeping his mouth shut, with coaches and players.
                              That works as long as you are performing like a stud but as soon as you don't, it wears on people.

TE and GS are very intelligent and are getting better and more comfortable as Freshman on this team an I'm not sure how much longer they are going to be willing to listen to him judging from body language.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                                I hope it works out for him but as others have mentioned, the body language is not good.

He seem to have a real problem keeping his mouth shut, with coaches and players.
                                That works as long as you are performing like a stud but as soon as you don't, it wears on people.

TE and GS are very intelligent and are getting better and more comfortable as Freshman on this team an I'm not sure how much longer they are going to be willing to listen to him judging from body language.
                                I did notice Eric and Grant were jawing at each other following one of Cincy's runout layups... Eric seemed to be deflecting blame at Grant and Grant was giving it right back to him. I'm not sure that's all bad at this point. Brother's jaw at each other occasionally and it might make us stronger in the long run. I'm sure the "eye in the sky don't lie" showed the responsible party in todays film session. Your point about performing like a "stud" is valid... it's difficult to take criticism from someone who hasn't been performing up to par most of the season. Eric still needs a little help from his Jobu doll...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X