No announcement yet.

attendance issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would look at the entire population (i.e. empty seat information across several games), go after your highest 20 or 50 or wherever the line is drawn.

I would not look at corporate or non-corporate, I would look at useage and see where it would lead.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
        Instead of the phone "light" app that no one uses, they need to get one of the apps that uses the flashlight and ultrasonic sound to trigger the light action. Here is an example:

I thought for sure that the app we're supposed to use uses the screen, not the light. I could easily be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
          Read Shockernet, which I know they already do.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

According to Taylor the actual seat in butts number for the 6 games ranges from 6,178 to 6,759. The average is 6,426. I knew attendance was soft, but wow.

Comment

One of the most idiotic things this athletic department did - they tried to monetize the old Fairmont towers parking lot. Instead of letting it be used to help the parking situation, you have to have a parking pass to park (e.g. pay big SASO fees) to get in there. There have like 10 guys on duty to park the 15 cars that go there at each game.

If they don't want to give the fans some goodwill, they could probably offer a reasonably priced parking pass for the season and at least pull in some more income.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                I understand coach’s concern, but he gets a little critical at times with the wrong people. For example calling out those IN ATTENDANCE for not waving their cell phones during intros. Even offering to loan his own to anyone who didn’t have one. Perhaps Mrs. Coach should’ve borrowed it as she wasn’t waving one either.
                The light stuff is stupid. Most fans want to make noise by clapping; unfortunately, holding a light up and clapping are mutually exclusive activities.

It is puzzling to me that they have tried this for multiple seasons without noticing the correlation the gimmick has had to a declining atmosphere.

Setting that aside. It is the games themselves!

As for attendance - the home schedule has been awful. A couple of non-competitive games to run some newbies out on the court is fine, but as a fan trying to find entertainment value in five of these blowouts is difficult to do.

I see so many bad habits forming in these games that I just want to close my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  One of the most idiotic things this athletic department did - they tried to monetize the old Fairmont towers parking lot. Instead of letting it be used to help the parking situation, you have to have a parking pass to park (e.g. pay big SASO fees) to get in there. There have like 10 guys on duty to park the 15 cars that go there at each game.

If they don't want to give the fans some goodwill, they could probably offer a reasonably priced parking pass for the season and at least pull in some more income.
                  That's a great idea about the parking pass for the season. If they set aside 100 parking spots at 150 dollars per season that's 15,000. I will be first in line for that parking pass.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
                    Setting that aside. It is the games themselves!

As for attendance - the home schedule has been awful. A couple of non-competitive games to run some newbies out on the court is fine, but as a fan trying to find entertainment value in five of these blowouts is difficult to do.
                    If you are correct, and it is just the quality of the opponents, the OU game will be sold out. I have a feeling that our fans are just becoming spoiled, and stale. It's easier to blame others for the poor atmosphere. People who sit below me never stand for the Shockers even when outstanding plays are being made. That wouldn't have happened even 10-15 years ago during Turgeon, and the beginning of Marshall's tenure when the Shockers were sometimes pretty good (like last year and this year), but often lost in the Valley to Southern Illinois, UNI, and Creighton, and sometimes even to Illinois State, and Bradley. The NIT was the ceiling back then (and not for F4 or Championship NiT visits), and now the NIT is the floor.

This year's team is very talented (maybe as talented as we've ever had during Marshall's tenure), and will end up being a very good team (although very young and inexperienced) by the end of the year. They just need the experience to learn how to play together.

Fans need to get behind this team too but if probably won't happen again until we dip down to becoming losers again. I am just grateful for seeing talented basketball players year after year.

Comment

This is a scheduling issue not an attendance issue. We are a great fan base. As this is being typed I am watching number 12 Arizona at number 18 Baylor and there are massive sections of the arena that are completely empty. This is a large overreaction to the fact that we were playing Central Arkansas. We have already watched our boys beat a few over matched teams and were ready to watch them play good competition. Baylor and several other five majors high majors I have a real problem with attendance. We don’t. I do agree that the in game production Is weak but I don’t think that’s keeping people from going to the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                        This is a scheduling issue not an attendance issue. We are a great fan base. As this is being typed I am watching number 12 Arizona at number 18 Baylor and there are massive sections of the arena that are completely empty. This is a large overreaction to the fact that we were playing Central Arkansas. We have already watched our boys beat a few over matched teams and were ready to watch them play good competition. Baylor and several other five majors high majors I have a real problem with attendance. We don’t. I do agree that the in game production Is weak but I don’t think that’s keeping people from going to the games.
                        Baylor usually has crappy attendance but I think they get to use the football excuse today.

Comment

Yeah, my bad.

Comment

Hey my grandson showed me. I'll probably just keep clapping, though.

Comment

WstateU will not be waving a phone; only girlymen wave their phones.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I think it is a little bit of everything adding up to the dip in attendance. When your most high profile home game out of 6 games is Oral Roberts, you are probably going to have issues getting people to the games. Yes, these games may appeal to us fanatics, but why would a causal fan want to go watch WSU get up by 30, then completely coast of rest of the game? There is also plenty of other things to do this time of the year. Now, if we have an issue getting people in the area for VCU, Memphis, Cincinnati, and Oklahoma, then we may have an actual issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X