attendance issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
    I'm one that was priced out of season tickets years ago when I started a family. I still have family members who have tickets and I do make a game or two. The way I look at it now I can spend $50 or so for all the apps to watch the games throughout the year. When I do go to a game I like to have a beer or two, but at that price you can buy a 24 pack and sit at home and watch the game. Another issue...only one 7pm Saturday night game this year. Three at 2pm, One at 5pm, One at 11am, Two at 3pm, and two Sunday afternoon games. Why? Some of the were on Cox, so I wouldn't think this would all be a TV problem. You are eliminating most families when you have games at that time who are involved with sports or activities.
    Your in my target demographic for the Shocker Century Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

At one time, you could not transfer your parent's tickets into your own name. Is that still true?
      There are issues with maintaining SASO points and the like, but I have found if you go in and talk to the folks at the ticket office, they are quite able/willing to preserve your ability to attend games. My group has managed a number of seat transitions without issue.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
        Every game has been "sold out." Pricing isn't the problem, therefore. Who is missing the games and why is the real question. I don't believe someone is skipping going JUST because they don't like the time-out promos or half time entertainment. No, it's probably something more difficult to fix, such as opponent quality, time of games, availability of other avenues to watch, etc. But I don't expect much to change re: pricing just because the arena looks empty.
        I agree with the "wait and see what happens when..." approach with quality opponents, better timing, etc.
        As for Intrust game, can't be surprised at the high open seats number. Having a game at an off site venue poses its own problems, most obviously season tickets don't apply the same way.
        Excellent post. Heck, I have a hard time giving away my tickets ON THIS SITE which probably includes a large number of "diehard" Shocker fans. And I usually have good tickets too. Did anyone see the empty seats at the OSU Michigan football game? There are empty seats everywhere and I believe it's a combination of those of us that have been fans are getting older and there are a bunch of reasons we (as a group) can't go to every game, and the younger folks are less inclined to be engaged in person, again for several reasons.

These reasons are why corporate ticket sales are SO important.

Comment

Maybe they should try and schedule better teams at home. Nobody wants to watch Central Arkansas and see a 25 point halftime lead and waste 3 hours of their lives when they can just watch the first half at home then turn it off.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
            Maybe they should try and schedule better teams at home. Nobody wants to watch Central Arkansas and see a 25 point halftime lead and waste 3 hours of their lives when they can just watch the first half at home then turn it off.

Just a thought.
            Not disagreeing with your thought but do we know they are not trying? Just asking for myself cause I have no friends.

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post

Just a thought.
              We have VCU, Ole Miss and OU at home this year ... We have to have some fluff teams for a young team ...

Comment

I think the general theme of this thread is that people are looking for excuses not to go rather than excuses to go. Not a great theme for a program that has built it's success partially on fan support.

Comment

I'm not worried about attendance. The home schedule has simply been underwhelming and only the most die hard of fans are going to attend these nobody games.

Comment

Reading this thread and have come to a conclusion...we are becoming a spoiled fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                      I think games shown live on Cox Cable 22 is part of the decline in attendance problem. Why pay $6.00 on Stubhub when you can watch from your couch and pay Cox ~$200ish a month?
                      Games have been on Cox for about 15 years now.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I'm not convinced that pricing isn't part of the problem. At least one poster already said how he's not giving away his tickets for free. I wonder how many others are trying to recoup some money by selling some of their tickets on StubHub in order to afford going to the rest of the games. I know one person who does this with their Chief's tickets. I am part of a group of 3 who split one set of season tickets in order to continue to afford them.

As for the quality of the home non-conference schedule, when have we consistently had more than one or two quality home opponents? (prior to joining the AAC, and BracketBuster games don't count). We have complained about that for the entire existence of ShockerNet. I don't think that's the problem. A better schedule would help, certainly. But it's not as if we were ever used to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I don't get this mentality. If you want to say it's too much money and don't want to spend it, that's fine but you've already spent the money, it's a sunk cost. If you want to say I spent the money so I'm not going to just hand it out? What does that do for you? Do you get any money back? No .... Sure, try to sell them first, try to find friends to give them to, try to find a place to donate them, but just putting them in your drawer doesn't help you and only hurts the team by assuring an empty seat.

And for other discussing pricing and all that .. .They have still sold >10k tickets .. so that's not the issue (yet). The issue is likely people with the mentality above. Or that are too lazy to try to find someone to go.

"put a little more effort into worrying about your team on the court" ... Umm team looks pretty damn good so far, so I think he's doing just that.

100% you are correct, I get $0 if I do not sell my tickets. Sunk cost. However, when you list your tickets for $20 and get multiple "I'd take them from you for free" responses.... no thanks. Sorry, I'm not here to supply others with tickets to the game. My position on this has a lot more to do with today's 'freebie' society than anything else. I willingly had my tickets over to friends/family. If I don't know you and you don't have a darn good reason I should supply you a free ticket.... then you aren't getting a free ticket. Why can't those that don't pay the inflated prices for season tickets respect those of us that do contribute and just pay a fair market value for the tickets?

The team is better than last year, but has a LONG ways to go to be an NCAA team. I see plenty of things to work on. And calling out the fans is not the best look, not after playing cupcake A&M for the 5th consecutive home game. He does this every year. And every year, it leads to this same discussion on here.
                          -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

Taylor Eldridge: With basketball attendance dipping, Gregg Marshall challenges Wichita State fanbase

“We have the best fans in the world, but unfortunately this is an epidemic all over the country,” Marshall said. “We’re not immune to it. What I would like to (ask) is if our fans could give their tickets to someone that would wear yellow and black and make a lot of noise, instead of putting them in a drawer and letting them sit there.”

.Also from Coach Marshall:

“And if you don’t have a cell phone, borrow mine. I’ll let you have mine for the introductions.”

Who will be the first to ask Coach Marshall for his cell phone? BTW, what is keeping the coaching staff from lighting up and waving their cell phones. Perhaps that would get the crowd willing to participate.

Comment

Originally posted by Slalomshocker View Post

100% you are correct, I get $0 if I do not sell my tickets. Sunk cost. However, when you list your tickets for $20 and get multiple "I'd take them from you for free" responses.... no thanks. Sorry, I'm not here to supply others with tickets to the game. My position on this has a lot more to do with today's 'freebie' society than anything else. I willingly had my tickets over to friends/family. If I don't know you and you don't have a darn good reason I should supply you a free ticket.... then you aren't getting a free ticket. Why can't those that don't pay the inflated prices for season tickets respect those of us that do contribute and just pay a fair market value for the tickets?

The team is better than last year, but has a LONG ways to go to be an NCAA team. I see plenty of things to work on. And calling out the fans is not the best look, not after playing cupcake A&M for the 5th consecutive home game. He does this every year. And every year, it leads to this same discussion on here.

i'd suspect that you didn't / won't vote for eliz warren, bernie sanders, or the bartender girl.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                Taylor Eldridge: With basketball attendance dipping, Gregg Marshall challenges Wichita State fanbase

“We have the best fans in the world, but unfortunately this is an epidemic all over the country,” Marshall said. “We’re not immune to it. What I would like to (ask) is if our fans could give their tickets to someone that would wear yellow and black and make a lot of noise, instead of putting them in a drawer and letting them sit there.”

.Also from Coach Marshall:

“And if you don’t have a cell phone, borrow mine. I’ll let you have mine for the introductions.”

Who will be the first to ask Coach Marshall for his cell phone? BTW, what is keeping the coaching staff from lighting up and waving their cell phones. Perhaps that would get the crowd willing to participate.
                                someone mentioned that coach's wife doesn't participate. it starts at home lol

Comment

Working...
                                X