No announcement yet.

attendance issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think games shown live on Cox Cable 22 is part of the decline in attendance problem. Why pay $6.00 on Stubhub when you can watch from your couch and pay Cox ~$200ish a month?

Comment

Every game has been "sold out." Pricing isn't the problem, therefore. Who is missing the games and why is the real question. I don't believe someone is skipping going JUST because they don't like the time-out promos or half time entertainment. No, it's probably something more difficult to fix, such as opponent quality, time of games, availability of other avenues to watch, etc. But I don't expect much to change re: pricing just because the arena looks empty.
      I agree with the "wait and see what happens when..." approach with quality opponents, better timing, etc.
      As for Intrust game, can't be surprised at the high open seats number. Having a game at an off site venue poses its own problems, most obviously season tickets don't apply the same way.

Comment

I think they need to come up with a promotion directed at the little guy. Not so much to solve the attendance issue but to boost revenues. I'm thinking along the lines of something like a Shocker Century Club. The promotion would be that WSU acknowledges many fans and families are unable to attend the games in person for various reasons but still love Shocker athletics. To show your support (without breaking the bank) become a member of the Shocker Century Club. Go to your corporate supporters and sponsors and get then to contribute discounts on products and services to card carrying members of the Shocker Century Club and perhaps discounted GA tickets to all Shocker athletic events.. Sell 10,000 memberships per year. Pocket an additional $1,000,000 per year. Something along those lines.

Comment

And I think the IBA game might have a little "opponent fatigue" this year. OU again might be a part of the problem. If we brought in a new high profile opponent I think it would sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Slalomshocker View Post
            The secondary market demand for shocker basketball tickets is not what it was 4-5 years ago. I had 4-5 people lined up "let me know anytime you have tickets available". Now, you can't hardly sell them. Everyone wants them for free, and there is exactly a 0% chance I'm giving my ticket that cost me $60ea to someone I do not know for $0. Charity? sure. Friends? yep. Random Joe that I'm asking to pay $20 and they want it for free? No chance. I called 4 different friends last night with an extra ticket. Nobody could go, kids' Christmas program, basketball practice, prior commitments.... you know, life things. We all love the Shockers, but we all have lives outside of Koch Arena as well.

We have been discussing the topic of price point on season tickets for what? 5-6 years? It reached that point where a lot of folks have decided not to renew their season tickets because of price. I personally am right on the teetering point myself. A set of 4 tickets, upper 1/3, corner, just shy of $5000. That's quite a chunk and now you want me to just hand it out? As has already been pointed out. Put a little more effort into worrying about your team on the court, not the fans in the seats. We all wrote the checks, the money continues to come in. I believe one of his greatest quotes is "control your controllables" . I promise you, "if you build it, they will come".
            I don't get this mentality. If you want to say it's too much money and don't want to spend it, that's fine but you've already spent the money, it's a sunk cost. If you want to say I spent the money so I'm not going to just hand it out? What does that do for you? Do you get any money back? No .... Sure, try to sell them first, try to find friends to give them to, try to find a place to donate them, but just putting them in your drawer doesn't help you and only hurts the team by assuring an empty seat.

And for other discussing pricing and all that .. .They have still sold >10k tickets .. so that's not the issue (yet). The issue is likely people with the mentality above. Or that are too lazy to try to find someone to go.

"put a little more effort into worrying about your team on the court" ... Umm team looks pretty damn good so far, so I think he's doing just that.

Comment

A GA ticket for the Texas Southern game cost $30 at the box office. GA tickets used to be a good option for people who otherwise couldn't afford to go to games. $30 for a ticket against a team that isn't very well known isn't worth it to most people.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                Every game has been "sold out." Pricing isn't the problem, therefore. Who is missing the games and why is the real question. I don't believe someone is skipping going JUST because they don't like the time-out promos or half time entertainment. No, it's probably something more difficult to fix, such as opponent quality, time of games, availability of other avenues to watch, etc. But I don't expect much to change re: pricing just because the arena looks empty.
                I agree with the "wait and see what happens when..." approach with quality opponents, better timing, etc.
                As for Intrust game, can't be surprised at the high open seats number. Having a game at an off site venue poses its own problems, most obviously season tickets don't apply the same way.
                Have any games so far been sold out?

Comment

Random thinking off the top of my head, I wonder if the Ticket Office could help coordinate redistribution of tickets. Allow people to drop off tickets they know they wont use, then people can come and get a random set of tickets (leave them in the groups of 2, 3, 4 or whatever they are dropped off in) starting 10 min before tip or something like that (ie close enough to start time to prevent people from getting them just to try to resell them). No exchanges trying to get better seats, no holds, just first come first served. I'm sure someone would find a way to abuse this, but that's going to happen no matter what. Might get some people to games that normally couldn't go and hopefully could fill up some seats.

Comment

I dont look at marketplace often due to other conflicts. I do know I would take 4 tickets at $20 each any time I could though. I snagged some really good tix for tx so at a very good price. It all boils down to having the time to go

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                      And I think the IBA game might have a little "opponent fatigue" this year. OU again might be a part of the problem. If we brought in a new high profile opponent I think it would sell.
                      Are we really getting that picky as a fan base? Going to watch the shockers isn't enough ... Going to watch the shockers play a P5 team isn't enough .... Going to watch the shockers play a P5 team that has been a tournament like 90% of the time since the 80s isn't enough ...

We really need a new shiny toy all the time?

Comment

Could always have your SASO impacted by if your tickets get used or not. That will definitely piss off some $$$ though.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Are we really getting that picky as a fan base? Going to watch the shockers isn't enough ... Going to watch the shockers play a P5 team isn't enough .... Going to watch the shockers play a P5 team that has been a tournament like 90% of the time since the 80s isn't enough ...

We really need a new shiny toy all the time?
                          Welcome to 2019.

(And I'm not speaking for myself...just trying to discuss possible reasons)

Comment

I don't understand how calling out paying customers is productive, but I suppose the coach has his reasons. I am not all that interested in buying tickets, dealing with parking, long walks in possible bad weather, paying for concessions, using my personal time, etc to watch the Shockers play a series of teams that have about the same chance to win as the Washington Generals. I blame this on the early season cupcake teams that Marshall selects and the overall hassle factor involved with going to a game. The ROI is just not there when you are watching teams more akin to Community Colleges get blown out by the Shocker backup squad.

I gave up my tickets a couple season ago. I had never been able to attend every game and it had reached the point where the people in my personal network weren't interested in going to a game even if the tickets were free. In-person sporting events is a bit of a been there done that for many people, after a few times for the experience, most people I know would prefer to watch at home and have access to their own food and bathroom.
                            Last edited by Shock 100; December 6, 2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I'm one that was priced out of season tickets years ago when I started a family. I still have family members who have tickets and I do make a game or two. The way I look at it now I can spend $50 or so for all the apps to watch the games throughout the year. When I do go to a game I like to have a beer or two, but at that price you can buy a 24 pack and sit at home and watch the game. Another issue...only one 7pm Saturday night game this year. Three at 2pm, One at 5pm, One at 11am, Two at 3pm, and two Sunday afternoon games. Why? Some of the were on Cox, so I wouldn't think this would all be a TV problem. You are eliminating most families when you have games at that time who are involved with sports or activities.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                                The "Old Guard" of true Shockers fans (and families) from the 80s through the 90s are dying off. If their kids are all still here, can they afford the new higher costs across the board (season tickets/SASO/concessions)?
                                At one time, you could not transfer your parent's tickets into your own name. Is that still true?

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X