Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Oral Roberts Game Thread (Oklahoma, U.S.A., N.A., Earth)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
    Also this was the highest rated team on Kenpom we have faced so far.
    Fortunately for us, they played without their 2 starters, one a rebound leader and the other an assist leader. Otherwise, we might lose if they played everybody.
    Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

That would be possible if he didn't take so many bad shots.

I dunno how many times he took one 25+ foot out or twisting in a man's face. That was a problem last year and seems to be coming up again this year. I believe him to be a decent shooter when he takes good shots. He just doesn't and those turn into essential turnovers.
      While I too am a bit concerned about Erik's perimeter shooting he was 4-8 in his previous 2 games and I don't think he was really hunting his shot against ORU although a couple of his shots were probably not very good choices consider the time left on the shot clock. Here is a recap of his 5 three points shots (all misses) vs ORU:

1st Half (time remaining in half):
      4:50: Missed a guarded 3 as the shot clock was expiring.
      2:52 - Missed a somewhat guarded 3 from the top of the key 10 seconds into the possession but was in rhythm and balanced. Not a bad shot but Shocks might have been able to get a better look with more patience.

2nd Half (time remaining in half):
      17:16 - Missed a long 3 in transition. He was in rhythm and balanced but this was only about 4 or 5 seconds into the position and was poor shot selection.
      7:28 - Missed a long 3 about 12 seconds into the shot clock but was wide open, in rhythm and in balance. But again probably not a great decision that early in the possession.
      3:01 - Missed a guarded 3 from the right wing as the shot clock was expiring. Was guarded but he had a decent look and was in rhythm and in balance.

I certainly don't think Erik was hunting his shot. 2 of his 5 misses were at the end of the shot clock. 2 were ill-advised IMO because they were too early in the shot clock. 1 was a good look at the top of the key on a return pass from Dexter. All were in rhythm and in balance and you would hope he could make a couple of these.

That said there was a reason Erik played more minutes (33) than any of the other Shockers against ORU. He was on the cusp of a triple-double in this game. 8 points, 8 rebounds, 9 assists and only 1 turnover. In the ORU game anyway he did take a couple of ill-advised 3 pointers and I would like to see him eliminate those but generally he was not hunting his shot and at least in the ORU game I did not see any twisting shots other than the turn around 14 footer in the lane that he driled. In fact, he has made a couple of those this year in games where he was shooting poorly. Maybe he should try that from distance.

On offense the guy we really need to get going IMO is Dexter as we venture out to Cancun. No doubt Dexter is drawing the most attention for our opponents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
        IMO this was a classic looking ahead game. I think the team is ready to be in Cancun and playing against a little better competition. Both the halves were very similar. First half got up by 12 early, took the foot off the gas and ORU willed their way back in to the game. Got up 15 in the second half, took the foot off the gas and ORU willed their way back in. I think they kept expecting ORU to roll over, which to their credit they most definitely did not. I never once felt like this game was in doubt though, because for the most part when they were actually 100% dialed during stretches they would clearly outclass ORU.
        In his post game comments to Shane Dennis 3G said he did not think his team was properly focused in the shoot around he said he had to get on them. So good have become looking ahead or perhaps just took the game for granted. This is still a relatively young shocker team.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Watched the replay of the ORU game last night. Bob Hull kept calling Elijah Lufile the little brother of Chadrack. I kept thinking younger brother yes. Little brother no way.

Had to chuckle at 3G's post-game comments to Shane Dennis he said Elijah made it look like none of his players have ever seen the inside of a weight room.

BTW, our PA announcer pronouced Lufile as Loo-feely throughout the game. Did we not pronounce it Loo-feel when Chadrack played for us? 3G pronounced it Loo-feel in his post-game comments.
          My husband and I were talking about that at the game. You’d think our announcer would know how to pronounce “Lufile.” Hasn’t been that long.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post

My husband and I were talking about that at the game. You’d think our announcer would know how to pronounce “Lufile.” Hasn’t been that long.
            Unless we were pronouncing it wrong for 2 years when Chadrack was here. I would think the team would provide the announcers with a pronunciation guide but maybe not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post

That was embarrasing. Please retire.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

He did?
                Funny thing about video evidence. It can either exonerate you or confirm that your guilty. I watched the ORU game on tape this morning. I tape the games so I can watch them and make it through the boring summer of baseball. I was right. DD wore his shorts like everybody else during significant minutes during that game. But he also change them to the shorter version too. I don't know what Dennis is thinking, but it seems like wasted energy to be focusing on how your shorts look during a game. Why not just wearing like everybody else and just focus on the game.

Don't remember who said it, but the ball doesn't stick when JB, ES,DD, TW and MO or JE or AM or IPBC are in the game. There seems to to be a look of confidence out there. The freshmen are inconsistent because they are freshmen.

Comment

• I can't imaging all the pressure PA people must experience on gameday. Correct pronunciation of names, not getting tongue tied, timing, inflection and tone. There's just so much that these professionals have to do right.
                  I'm not sure if I could do the job. Of course, the PA person has a great seat for the game.

Best regards everyone!
                  Napoleon Dynamite

“Whatever I feel like I wanna do, gosh!”

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Funny thing about video evidence. It can either exonerate you or confirm that your guilty. I watched the ORU game on tape this morning. I tape the games so I can watch them and make it through the boring summer of baseball. I was right. DD wore his shorts like everybody else during significant minutes during that game. But he also change them to the shorter version too. I don't know what Dennis is thinking, but it seems like wasted energy to be focusing on how your shorts look during a game. Why not just wearing like everybody else and just focus on the game.

Don't remember who said it, but the ball doesn't stick when JB, ES,DD, TW and MO or JE or AM or IPBC are in the game. There seems to to be a look of confidence out there. The freshmen are inconsistent because they are freshmen.
                    He had a hard time keeping them pinned. I guarantee that it’s not about look. I 100% believe it’s about feel and freedom of movement.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Watched the replay of the ORU game last night. Bob Hull kept calling Elijah Lufile the little brother of Chadrack. I kept thinking younger brother yes. Little brother no way.

Had to chuckle at 3G's post-game comments to Shane Dennis he said Elijah made it look like none of his players have ever seen the inside of a weight room.

BTW, our PA announcer pronouced Lufile as Loo-feely throughout the game. Did we not pronounce it Loo-feel when Chadrack played for us? 3G pronounced it Loo-feel in his post-game comments.
                      Had to listen to the ORU broadcast for a bit in the airport. The ORU announcers also pronounced Lufile as Loo-feely.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

That was embarrasing. Please retire.
                        From an ORU source: the current ORU game notes pronunciation guide for Lufile shows Loo-fee-lay. Who is embarrassed now? Don Hall doing his job.
                        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• My mom once said that we should not judge others until we walk 10 miles in their loafers.
                          I imagine if they have small feet that would be painful for some of us.

Best regards everyone!
                          Napoleon Dynamite

“Whatever I feel like I wanna do, gosh!”

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post

From an ORU source: the current ORU game notes pronunciation guide for Lufile shows Loo-fee-lay. Who is embarrassed now? Don Hall doing his job.
                            Not me. ORU is wrong and CJ has told me how it is pronounced. I guess it is possible one pronounces one way and the other prefers something different.

Don Hall should retire. He’s about as exciting as a Lifetime movie love scene.
                            Last edited by shoxlax; November 24, 2019, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• NM

Comment

• Oftentimes, it’s the athlete’s preference for pronunciation. I’ve heard Marshall call Jaime “Jay-me” and “Hi-me”, even in the same sentence and stating that Jaime interchanges it as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X