Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Oral Roberts Game Thread (Oklahoma, U.S.A., N.A., Earth)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Watched the replay of the ORU game last night. Bob Hull kept calling Elijah Lufile the little brother of Chadrack. I kept thinking younger brother yes. Little brother no way.

Had to chuckle at 3G's post-game comments to Shane Dennis he said Elijah made it look like none of his players have ever seen the inside of a weight room.

BTW, our PA announcer pronouced Lufile as Loo-feely throughout the game. Did we not pronounce it Loo-feel when Chadrack played for us? 3G pronounced it Loo-feel in his post-game comments.
    And nobody corrected him?

This is the basic stuff I'm talking about. Don Hall needs to hang it up and we need some fresh blood at that position.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

While I too am a bit concerned about Erik's perimeter shooting he was 4-8 in his previous 2 games and I don't think he was really hunting his shot against ORU although a couple of his shots were probably not very good choices consider the time left on the shot clock. Here is a recap of his 5 three points shots (all misses) vs ORU:

1st Half (time remaining in half):
      4:50: Missed a guarded 3 as the shot clock was expiring.
      2:52 - Missed a somewhat guarded 3 from the top of the key 10 seconds into the possession but was in rhythm and balanced. Not a bad shot but Shocks might have been able to get a better look with more patience.

2nd Half (time remaining in half):
      17:16 - Missed a long 3 in transition. He was in rhythm and balanced but this was only about 4 or 5 seconds into the position and was poor shot selection.
      7:28 - Missed a long 3 about 12 seconds into the shot clock but was wide open, in rhythm and in balance. But again probably not a great decision that early in the possession.
      3:01 - Missed a guarded 3 from the right wing as the shot clock was expiring. Was guarded but he had a decent look and was in rhythm and in balance.

I certainly don't think Erik was hunting his shot. 2 of his 5 misses were at the end of the shot clock. 2 were ill-advised IMO because they were too early in the shot clock. 1 was a good look at the top of the key on a return pass from Dexter. All were in rhythm and in balance and you would hope he could make a couple of these.

That said there was a reason Erik played more minutes (33) than any of the other Shockers against ORU. He was on the cusp of a triple-double in this game. 8 points, 8 rebounds, 9 assists and only 1 turnover. In the ORU game anyway he did take a couple of ill-advised 3 pointers and I would like to see him eliminate those but generally he was not hunting his shot and at least in the ORU game I did not see any twisting shots other than the turn around 14 footer in the lane that he driled. In fact, he has made a couple of those this year in games where he was shooting poorly. Maybe he should try that from distance.

On offense the guy we really need to get going IMO is Dexter as we venture out to Cancun. No doubt Dexter is drawing the most attention for our opponents.

He had a great game other than his shot selections. I remember one of his fadeaway 2's in the second half that was pretty tough shot and not what I would call ideal but it went in so it ended up being moot. I think there was some hunting going on because of how quick a lot of those went up. I dunno though.

The thing that you didn't highlight in your descriptions were the distances of some of those shots. That one at the top of the key was at least 25 feet out if not more. That is NOT a good shot, even in rhythm. Eric needs to prove that he can hit the 21-footers consistently first before we sign off on him shooting 25-footers "in rhythm".

There's only 2 people I really trust right now with perimeter shooting.. TE and DD. And typically they take smart shots as well.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post

From an ORU source: the current ORU game notes pronunciation guide for Lufile shows Loo-fee-lay. Who is embarrassed now? Don Hall doing his job.
        Well then Hall wasn't doing his job in 2014. And neither has Marshall.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

There's only 2 people I really trust right now with perimeter shooting.. TE and DD. And typically they take smart shots as well.
          Not JB???

Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

• When WSU was in the Valley, WSU fans were saying that there was a lot of parity in college basketball, and that there wasn't that much difference between a decent mid-major and a decent power conference team.

That's probably still true. We just happen to be on the other side of the equation now. When ORU plays us close, we are tempted to look at what we did wrong, when it was probably more of what ORU did right.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Watching replay on Cox 22 now

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post

From an ORU source: the current ORU game notes pronunciation guide for Lufile shows Loo-fee-lay. Who is embarrassed now? Don Hall doing his job.
                From page 17 of the ORU MBB Game Notes, Pronunciation Guide:

#1 – loo-FEE-lay

https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfront.ne...RUMBB6-WSU.pdf

I don't know, maybe the Lufiles thought they would capitalize on the success of Chic-fil-A and change the pronunciation of their name, Gosh.

Best regards everyone!
                Napoleon Dynamite

“Whatever I feel like I wanna do, gosh!”

Comment

• Regardless of the correction pronunciation of Lufile how would you like to have to feed the 4 Lufile boys. 6-9, 265 Chadrack is the oldest at 29 years old, 6-8 240 Meshack is 27, 6-7 240 Abednego is 25 and the 6-8, 275 lb Elijah is the youngest. They have one sister so I don't know if Elijah is the baby or not. But it has to take some calories to keep those big bodies in motion. The 3 older brothers all play basketball professionally. Elijah may prove to be the best of the bunch.

All 4 brothers went the juco route. Elijah redshirted his 1st year in college at Lamar CC then played last year at Midland College before joining ORU. He is a redshirt sophomore so he will get 3 years at ORU alongside Kevin Obanor.

Taylor Eldridge: After watching his brother play at WSU, Elijah Lufile had ‘chills’ facing Shockers

“I’ll be honest with you, I came here for my brother to cheer him on and support him,” Chadrack Lufile said. “I’m proud of him coming to my homecourt where I played. Putting 13 and 10 on Gregg Marshall’s bigs is kind of a big deal.”

While Chadrack Lufile may have been rooting for his brother during the game, that didn’t mean he couldn’t relive his glory days as a Shocker before and after. He had fun walking around and seeing familiar faces, posing for pictures and catching up with people he hasn’t seen since he graduated in 2014.

He says WSU fans and Koch Arena will always hold a special place in his heart.

Comment

• After seeing the game statistics, and thinking on the game, I have a few comments. I think most of the Shox, if not all, played pretty good defense. My main disappointment is that our Bigs were at best equaled on the boards. None of Our 5s sucked, but I think we need to rebound better than most teams we play and our Bigs didn’t do that.

Eric didn’t shoot great, but he found other ways to be successful and had 9 assists and close to that number of rebounds. Tyson is a great shooter but seems to lack concentration on free throws. Jamarius shot well but had only one assist in 27 minutes. That is hardly great point guard statistics but we needed his offense to win. Really the rest of our team was ho hum at best.

Not a great performance but the ORU Bigs (Lufile, Obsnor, etc. ) were physicall specimens and can compete with the Big Boys. When we built our lead to 16, we farted around and let ORU back in the game until we only led by 3. Against the Top American teams, that’ll come back and bite us. We need to be a little better this week against South Carolina and West Virginia to win.
                    Last edited by Shockm; November 24, 2019, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                      Watching replay on Cox 22 now
                      We won again

Comment

He says WSU fans and Koch Arena will always hold a special place in his heart.
                        I’m thinking the young man played way above his “weight class” or 3G just had too many higher rated recruits at the time, but wow, he had a hell of a game and made his brother’s day! Can’t imagine Marshall didn’t have at least one or two looks at him a couple years ago.

Comment

• I think that Dex's shorts choice is him hoping that before the end of the season he gets a SC top ten play that not only has a dunk, but a teabag ending as well on some unfortunate soul. Lol

Comment

Working...
                          X