Wichita State vs. Texas Southern Official Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
    Was keeping up with the Shox on SN while attending Texas-KState game in Austin.

There was no weapon detector to go through prior to entering Darryl Royal Memorial Stadium. Why is it required to get into Koch arena? Interesting!
    cause EVERYBODY was carryin in Darryl Royal stadium

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
      Was keeping up with the Shox on SN while attending Texas-KState game in Austin.

There was no weapon detector to go through prior to entering Darryl Royal Memorial Stadium. Why is it required to get into Koch arena? Interesting!
      Kansas law. If event is expecting 5,000, must have top security
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Both of our freshmen point guards were pretty futile yesterday and our offense was too. Our shooting may have been exposed again or maybe we just aren't hitting on all cylinders.

I have a question of our basketball offensive geniuses and confidence that you can answer it.

How much of an impact did Texas Southern Assistant Coach, Randy Peele have on our Freshmen point guards inability to run our offense? He knows Gregg's offense backwards and forwards. He also probably knows how the weaknesses and how to stop it or at least slow it down.

We seemed out of synch all afternoon and our inability to make entry passes to the wing continued throughout the game. I would anticipate that Gregg will not allow our point guards to use this as an excuse and demand more out of them as he would have expected Fred to deal with it, and I would imagine that an experienced Fred would have. But in our first non-exhibition game, is it a bit much for us as fans to expect that result?

Comment

• Being in a 100,000 seat stadium is pretty cool. Was pretty full. They are adding another 8,000 seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            Taylor Eldridge‏ @tayloreldridge 6h6 hours ago

More
            Just realized that Erik Stevenson (6/18) and Dexter Dennis (5/11) were the only Shockers who made more than 1 field goal in the game.
            I'm encouraged as all hell. We won, despite *this*.

We fought and found a way to win, and instead of it being an ugly loss, it's just another W, and we're still undefeated!

Comment

• In players' post game, fun to watch Dexter "take care of" Grant. On, grant's first question, Dex picks up his statsheet, turns his body and leans into Grant, appearing ready to save the young man from disaster. Quickly sees that Grant is a mature, intelligent, experienced and well-spoken young man and leans back. Then later plays games with the microphones (and water bottle). Great to see both leadership and camaraderie. https://www-1.kansas.com/sports/coll...237203108.html

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• I wonder how much we scouted Texas Southern. It seems like they did a better job with their game planning than we did. Felt like we had the attitude that if we just run our stuff we will win because we have more talent. That did prove to be the case, but I feel like we didn’t really make any adjustments other than shortening the bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                  Both of our freshmen point guards were pretty futile yesterday and our offense was too. Our shooting may have been exposed again or maybe we just aren't hitting on all cylinders.

I have a question of our basketball offensive geniuses and confidence that you can answer it.

How much of an impact did Texas Southern Assistant Coach, Randy Peele have on our Freshmen point guards inability to run our offense? He knows Gregg's offense backwards and forwards. He also probably knows how the weaknesses and how to stop it or at least slow it down.

We seemed out of synch all afternoon and our inability to make entry passes to the wing continued throughout the game. I would anticipate that Gregg will not allow our point guards to use this as an excuse and demand more out of them as he would have expected Fred to deal with it, and I would imagine that an experienced Fred would have. But in our first non-exhibition game, is it a bit much for us as fans to expect that result?
                  Tx Southern didn't need to know Marshall's play book. It was simpler than that.

Guard perimeter guys tight when they had the ball. If they drove past the defender, drop 3 more guys into the lane to stop the drive. Ignore the 3-point line and ignore kickouts from driving shooters - and from the moment our guys started driving, they were shooters, regardless of how many guys were on them.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Tx Southern gets an A in trash talk. Never seen a team flapping their gums that much. Glad they lost.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                      THIS.

Peele was coach's assistant for HC3GM's last four seasons at Winthrop, and then went on to become Winthrop's head coach. IMHO when you are intimately familiar with 65% of the other guy's system, it is pretty darn EASY to ugly up the game. I didn't realize this background while watching the game, but looking back on it, it makes sense how ugly the first half was.
                      Last edited by Kung Wu; November 10, 2019, 02:01 PM.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I think the game was not just ugly but the shocks were almighty lucky to come out of that game without more shockers residing on the injured list. I'm not sure the refs could possibly have called all the fouls.

Comment

• -Somebody said it earlier but the mentality that “the last thing I saw is how it will be forever” is humorous.
                          -If you don’t think missing Burton and Echinique is that big of a deal you might have missed last season of shocker basketball. Not only were they two of our better players but we saw how the early season went when it was a freshman dominated team. We’re not too far removed from that scenario.
                          -Sherfield was a stud late in the game getting to the free throw line and and cashing in when we needed buckets to keep them at bay. Was he perfect? No, but he’s a freshman! Why do we expect him to be playing at his best the second game of his career after being thrust into a starting role and huge minutes. I am just as high on him after this game.
                          -Fernandes was also a pleasant surprise. Obviously he didn’t do much in terms of stat sheet but he looked under control on offense and tenacious on defense. Let’s get him up to speed and I’ll feel good about the PG situation until Burton can get back.
                          -I don’t buy into the idea that a team comprised of mostly Sophomores and Freshman and is missing two of its best players should care about the point spread of the second game of the year. Each game is still a learning experience for these guys and we all know it’s better to learn while winning.
                          -Shocker teams always look better on offense as the year goes on.
                          -Texas Southern is obviously no pushover. Their roster is full of D1 transfers and they’ve been known to knock off good teams on the road.

Comment

• It was the second game of the season with an incredibly young team and we were without 2 of our top 4 players. We won a game where we missed 21 straight shots. Some of you guys need to calm down lol. Ugly game, but they showed grit and pulled out an ugly win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                              It was the second game of the season with an incredibly young team and we were without 2 of our top 4 players. We won a game where we missed 21 straight shots. Some of you guys need to calm down lol. Ugly game, but they showed grit and pulled out an ugly win.
                              ^^This^^

After chewing on what we witnessed yesterday, Hook is exactly right. We dealt with.....

* 2 starters hurt and on the bench.
                              * A freshman point guard who had about 20 minutes of D1 experience.
                              * A freshman point guard who just returned from injury who has ZERO D1 experience.
                              * Still a VERY young team.
                              * An opposing coach who knew our system as well as we do (some might argue even better than us).
                              * An opposing coach that knocked off 3 big names last year.
                              * Asbjorn Midtgaard.
                              * And lastly, the damn ball just wouldn't go into the frickin hole. I mean, how many just rolled around and fell out?

We won. U-G-L-Y wins are great learning experiences for the young guys, and for Shockernet probably. 3G has said time and time again how much further along this team is from last year's. Much better shooting team he says. I for one will take his word for it. He knows better than anyone. In 3G we trust, right? Would the team we had last November have come out of yesterday with a win after that kind of game? With the kind of obstacles we faced yesterday? No!

Relax guys, we have a special group of guys and the ride could be magical. WE ARE GOOD!

GO SHOX!

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                                Why was it so cold in Koch today? Holy crap, turn off the air!

One of the uglier games that I have witnessed in Levitt/Koch. Almost seemed like a Smithson game. And I saw alot of those.

I know this crew will get it going. TX Southern played a version of ugly ball, and it showed. The shots have to eventually start falling.
                                I knew there had to be a reason why the Shocks were so cold from the field.

Comment

Working...
                                X