No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Texas Southern Official Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALways best to let the game sit a bit before you post. This game was not an exception. We won. Take it and get ready for the next one.

Takeaways: 1. Refs did what they could to take over the game. Both teams were nearly in the bonus 3 minutes into the 2nd half. Yes, the Shox were pressing, but still, you could probably find a foul to call on every possession of every basketball game. Doesn't mean you should do it. Refs should help the game run smoothly and keep things from getting OUT OF CONTROL, not keep the game UNDER THEIR THUMB, or whistle. There's a difference. Seemed like they were the main attraction at times.

2. The empty seats are there, and will continue to be there for the foreseeable future. The athletic dept. got their $$$$, that's the most important thing, I guess. Like someone who donates money to a worthy cause, it doesn't mean they necessarily plan to BE THERE all the time.

3. I already miss the perimeter based offense I saw the first two games. Or maybe Texas So. didn't allow that. I'll say it again, post play is not the strength of this team, and trying to force it makes the game look like a kid in the playroom trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. He might eventually get it in there, but it's hard to watch. Our post play on offense is nil at this point. Kind of like watching a game of four against five while one guy just runs around trying to set screens all the time.

4. Tough game for Sherfield, but he did well. That guard for Texas SO. was self assured and quick. Don't know about everyone else, but we missed Burton BIG TIME today. And Jaime. Nice backup from Noah today. Eric was BALLS IN today - if there's such a thing - good to see. Not that you pervs, if you saw HCGM at one point he had a tablet or something in his hands and he looked like he just wanted to smash it at the scorer's table. I saw that emotion released thru Eric's emotional play. Thank you Eric.

5. Finally, Shocks really seemed to be forcing the "get the ball inside" thing. Just based on today's game, we have taken a stranglehold on the title of "most missed bunnies and layups" in Div 1, 2, and 3. Last two seasons, we may have more close misses than the next two teams COMBINED. But we still win anyway. Somehow.

6. Lastly, if 2 or 3 of those first half shots go in early, we're having completely different discussions here. You win some, you lose some, but for now we're UNDEFEATED. Go Shox!

Comment

Why was it so cold in Koch today? Holy crap, turn off the air!

One of the uglier games that I have witnessed in Levitt/Koch. Almost seemed like a Smithson game. And I saw alot of those.

I know this crew will get it going. TX Southern played a version of ugly ball, and it showed. The shots have to eventually start falling.

Comment

NF to AM was the only good entry pass and AM finished. AM played good D. GS made more than one drive right where
        you could see he had nothing on his mind but to score. Put up at least two really ugly baseline shots off his dribble. I'm
        sure GM will point it out to him. Good learning game for GS though and he DID draw some fouls and converted. Centers
        WILL improve. GS will improve. I think ES is the team leader and he leads by example. Notice it was him that was doing the talking
        and directing in the team huddles. Love his intensity. Still has a picturesque shot when open but forces a few off balance ones.
        Just keep winning and learning/improving along the way. Sticking with the 24 W's for now although I sure had my doubts in
        the first half today.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
          Why was it so cold in Koch today? Holy crap, turn off the air!

One of the uglier games that I have witnessed in Levitt/Koch. Almost seemed like a Smithson game. And I saw alot of those.

I know this crew will get it going. TX Southern played a version of ugly ball, and it showed. The shots have to eventually start falling.
          Agreed on the temperature thing. Why was it so cool in the arena today?

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
            NF to AM was the only good entry pass and AM finished. AM played good D. GS made more than one drive right where
            you could see he had nothing on his mind but to score. Put up at least two really ugly baseline shots off his dribble. I'm
            sure GM will point it out to him. Good learning game for GS though and he DID draw some fouls and converted. Centers
            WILL improve. GS will improve. I think ES is the team leader and he leads by example. Notice it was him that was doing the talking
            and directing in the team huddles. Love his intensity. Still has a picturesque shot when open but forces a few off balance ones.
            Just keep winning and learning/improving along the way. Sticking with the 24 W's for now although I sure had my doubts in
            the first half today.
            Funny. The person I was sitting with asked me throughout the game (because I always mention the subject) and at no point did I feel like the Shox were going to lose. GM willed the win thru ES. Its a jedi mind trick.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post

Agreed on the temperature thing. Why was it so cool in the arena today?
              Felt like a vent was blowing AC directly on us; could have hung meat in Koch today.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

A win is a win. Wasn’t pretty but we did play good D and got the rebounds. Made the free throws. They have a full week to make corrections.

Comment

I think we won the game because we wore the opponent out. Late in the game, Texas Southern was jacking 3's and not defending the way they had been earlier. Playing D like they did wears players down
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
                    Two games in against teams that will finish 150th plus in the NET rankings, and we look like we belong with them. Shooting 30% from the field (42 of 137 FGs) and 29% from 3 (14 of 47), against crappy teams AT home is very uninspiring. Is losing JE really that disruptive to this squad?

I'm praying that my conspiracy theory that HCGM is 'sandbagging' until we meet good competition in order to hide what's up his sleeve is what's going on here.
                    Sad to say I agree with KC.

The first 2 games we really haven't looked well against overmatched opponents. Our inside game is garbage and our offense lacks organization and flow, again the byproduct of not having a true point guard.

Can't force crap and can't do the constant 1 on 1 stuff. Our defense and the fact that we played a SWAC team helped secure the win in the closing minutes. Not looking too much like an NCAA team. Yes, we have a couple injuries but so does every team.

This game honestly reminded me of Louisiana Tech last year. Probably need to win the next one by 20+ or I'll officially become worried.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• 1. I love Wade. He's a prototypical Shocker. However, he got his stuff blocked today, and that's going to keep happening.
                      2. We are damn lucky their point guard didn't play much in the first half or we'd have had a big hill to climb.
                      3. Sherfield wasn't a point guard today, but Fernandez certainly looks like one.
                      4. I wanted to see mo Mo.
                      5. I wonder why HCGM has never had a stroke?
                      6. Texas swarmed on defense like hornets, figuring that the zebras couldn't call every foul. Worked.
                      7. AM doesn't get it, I guess.
                      8. I think we had 1 bucket in the first 12 minutes. How can that happen?
                      9. ETN needed more shots.
                      10. ES played like a winner

Comment

• Taylor Eldridge‏ @tayloreldridge 6h6 hours ago

More
                        Just realized that Erik Stevenson (6/18) and Dexter Dennis (5/11) were the only Shockers who made more than 1 field goal in the game.

Comment

• Well guys that was a wierd game. I sure hope its hard to repeat 1 of 20 made shots in a game. D seemed good not great but kept us in a game that could have Slipt away. Congrats to Stevenson he needed a confidence building game like that. Just keep in ahotting guys bet you you won't go 1 of 20 for the rest of the year maybe 2 of 20 but not 1 20

Comment

• A win is a win...BUT, certainly some things to be concerned with. We had all hoped that last year’s shooting woes were a one year thing...that may not be the case. Yesterday’s shooting performance was about as it can get...I hope. Things have got to get better......don’t they? There was a LOT of positive talk from Coach and the players before the team began. Good things must have been happening in practice. Alas, I haven’t seen those things on the game floor. Hoping things pick up earlier this year than last year....or else it’s going to be a LONG year (starting with the upcoming tournament).

Comment

• Was keeping up with the Shox on SN while attending Texas-KState game in Austin.

There was no weapon detector to go through prior to entering Darryl Royal Memorial Stadium. Why is it required to get into Koch arena? Interesting!

Comment

• Were there 1500 empty seats?

Comment

Working...
                                X