2019-20 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Not sure why the rules should be designed that way. It's a punishment .. why should it be convenient to the teams?
    Because the team (especially a basketball team) would be so depleted, they would probably lose anyway. Not to mention the school would lose revenue from the game, which financially harms people who were not involved. It's a good rule. In general, forfeiting a game is viewed as very serious.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Because the team (especially a basketball team) would be so depleted, they would probably lose anyway. Not to mention the school would lose revenue from the game, which financially harms people who were not involved. It's a good rule.
      Eh ... agree to disagree here. School was involved in recruiting all these players, or hiring the coaches that did. Punishments are punishments for a reason.

Comment

Eh ... agree to disagree here. School was involved in recruiting all these players, or hiring the coaches that did. Punishments are punishments for a reason.
        I get what you're saying, but you can't punish coaches or administrators for unforeseen things between players like this who had never been involved in an on-court fight.

Comment

I get what you're saying, but you can't punish coaches or administrators for unforeseen things between players like this who had never been involved in an on-court fight.
          Yes you can. They are responsible for their programs unforseen or not.

Comment

In general, forfeiting a game is viewed as very serious.
            It seems to me what happened last night was very serious and perhaps warrants some very serious repercussions. This wasn't dudes acting tough and slap fighting. This was a guy trying to bludgeon someone with a chair (in the crowd, I might add), and two guys kicking a guy while he was on the ground against a wall.

Comment

People get retribution all the time for the actions of their subordinates and acolytes. Going back like the history of humanity to current day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

It seems to me what happened last night was very serious and perhaps warrants some very serious repercussions. This wasn't dudes acting tough and slap fighting. This was a guy trying to bludgeon someone with a chair (in the crowd, I might add), and two guys kicking a guy while he was on the ground against a wall.
                Yes .. if this was normal students and it happened immediately outside the arena ... there would be arrests being made. This IS serious.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I think it's pretty bush if a winning team is dribbling out the clock and calling off the dogs and then the losing team does that crap, like stealing the ball and going in for a layup. If KU would've ran their offense and played for a dunk or something dumb like that, people would've called that classless or "running up the score". So the block was absolutely fair game IMO. K-State absolutely deserved that. The thuggery that occurred after was obviously completely uncalled for and looked like trash. It was a good representation for the flagship and the little red headed step child.
                  I disagree sort of. If a winning team is calling off the dogs -- that's definitely respectable and classy. And if the losing team reciprocates, then the game is effectively over.

But the losing team has the _gentlemen's right_ to keep working their ass off and keep trying -- they might have new players in and want to give them a look or try new things. That's still respectable and the winning team has to recognize that. IF the losing team decides to keep working then the winning team can continue the punishment. It's up to the losing team to decide.
                  Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I disagree sort of. If a winning team is calling off the dogs -- that's definitely respectable and classy. And if the losing team reciprocates, then the game is effectively over.

But the losing team has the _gentlemen's right_ to keep working their ass off and keep trying -- they might have new players in and want to give them a look or try new things. That's still respectable and the winning team has to recognize that. IF the losing team decides to keep working then the winning team can continue the punishment. It's up to the losing team to decide.
                    I'll go with ShockerFever on this one. We've watched so many WSU blowouts the last 10 years. I always found it odd that the other team would get their **** kicked for 39:40, and then would try to use the last 20s to demonstrate how they are super tough against the walk-ons. If it's a 20 point game and the winning team has non-starters in the game, I don't really understand not letting the clock just get dribbled out. It's the losing team's prerogative, and I don't think it's super-douchey, I just don't really get the point.

I will say, I've seen my share of KU games where the starters are in up 30 in the last 3 minutes, so what goes around sometimes does come around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

So, just extrapolating on your position and that of Stickboy46 , we should make KU forfeit their next game? I'm all for suspensions and all that goes along with it, but that's just bad policy. And if this were WSU instead of KU, fans would be singing a different tune.

Also, De Sousa didn't try to "bludgeon someone with a chair." He picked up the chair and dropped it when he seemed to realize it was a bad idea. Thankfully. There's plenty of criticism to be had here, but that angle isn't it.

Comment

So, just extrapolating on your position and that of Stickboy46 , we should make KU forfeit their next game? I'm all for suspensions and all that goes along with it, but that's just bad policy. And if this were WSU instead of KU, fans would be singing a different tune.

Also, De Sousa didn't try to "bludgeon someone with a chair." He picked up the chair and dropped it when he seemed to realize it was a bad idea. Thankfully. There's plenty of criticism to be had here, but that angle isn't it.
                        I'd be singing the same tune if was WSU. There is no room for this in the game. The same way I immediately said we needed to cut Teddy when all of that went down. That's not how your represent the university that is giving you a chance to live out your dream.

As far bludgeoning .. no he didn't, but he did commit assault with it.

Comment

I'd be singing the same tune if was WSU. There is no room for this in the game. The same way I immediately said we needed to cut Teddy when all of that went down. That's not how your represent the university that is giving you a chance to live out your dream.

As far bludgeoning .. no he didn't, but he did commit assault with it.
                          Looks like it did go through his mind...

https://images.app.goo.gl/sV38Cxo74tEfDZTp6
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I think it's pretty bush if a winning team is dribbling out the clock and calling off the dogs and then the losing team does that crap, like stealing the ball and going in for a layup. If KU would've ran their offense and played for a dunk or something dumb like that, people would've called that classless or "running up the score". So the block was absolutely fair game IMO. K-State absolutely deserved that. The thuggery that occurred after was obviously completely uncalled for and looked like trash. It was a good representation for the flagship and the little red headed step child.
                            I agree with this but some blame also goes to the KSU players that jumped off the bench. And who were the guy(s) in non uniforms throwing punches?

Comment

We should enforce the suspensions (whatever they are) in the next game(s), not at whatever convenience fits those teams. If that leaves a team with only 3 active players for the next game, perhaps more than 3 players should consider staying on the bench and not fighting next time.

There actually is a WSU situation that we could talk about. I may not have agreed with the ruling that led to the suspensions, but the baseball team had significant suspensions a few years ago. The NCAA did allow those to be staggered. I didn't really think that made sense.

Comment

Yes .. if this was normal students and it happened immediately outside the arena ... there would be arrests being made. This IS serious.
                                It is curious arrests AREN'T made in these situations. Why the law of normal society changes when you play a game with a ball is something I'll never understand. A cop having a bad day will arrest someone for looking at them funny and try to chum up disorderly conduct charges; a game happens, tempers flare, and aggravated assault goes down and they disappear into the bushes like the family guy meme. Like... WTF?

Comment

Working...
                                X