2019-20 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Better viewership on the flagship station... more eyeballs.

Is this universally true, or does ESPN usually select the programming they think will have better viewership beforehand and put it on ESPN, thus leading to increased viewership?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Is this universally true, or does ESPN usually select the programming they think will have better viewership beforehand and put it on ESPN, thus leading to increased viewership?
      I'd make a small wager that ESPN sells spots at a premium over ESPN2 -- just because. Which means they need to try and throw as many eyeballs at that station as possible to justify it.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

You're probably correct, I'm just shooting from the hip... I know ESPN is usually referred to as the "Mother Ship".

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

You're probably correct, I'm just shooting from the hip... I know ESPN is usually referred to as the "Mother Ship".
          I don't actually know either. To me, they are the same channel. I never select one without seeing what is on the other. To my knowledge, there are no packages with one but not the other. My guess is Kung Wu is closest to the mark.

Regardless, it's a great day. We're still getting flexed to ESPN2. Our TV slate this year is another thing we shouldn't take for granted. It's incredible how far this program has come.

Comment

I don't actually know either. To me, they are the same channel. I never select one without seeing what is on the other.
            That's how I roll too. I've found just as much content on 2 that interests me. But I've always assumed they put the games they think will have more viewership on the mother ship.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• What if we start a groundswell movement to refer to ESPN2 as the father ship? Or the Grandma ship?

ESPNU can be the Cousin Eddie ship.

Comment

I don't actually know either. To me, they are the same channel. I never select one without seeing what is on the other. To my knowledge, there are no packages with one but not the other. My guess is Kung Wu is closest to the mark.

Regardless, it's a great day. We're still getting flexed to ESPN2. Our TV slate this year is another thing we shouldn't take for granted. It's incredible how far this program has come.
                True, we could always be on ESPN+ tomorrow at 3.

Comment

And, many of the smaller cable/satellite packages don't include ESPN2.

Comment

• Here is what happened last year about this time versus what is going on this year.

Thursday, January 3rd, 2019 (all times eastern)
                    ESPN
                    6:00pm – Penn State at Michigan (viewers 677,000)
                    8:00pm – #1 UConn at #6 Baylor Women's Game (viewers 627,000)
                    10:00pm – Stanford at UCLA (viewers 320,000)

ESPN2
                    6:00pm – High School Football All-Star Game (viewers 257,000)

Thursday, January 9th, 2020
                    ESPN
                    6:00pm – #6 Baylor at #1 UConn Women's Game (viewers TBD)
                    8:00pm – Big 10 Teams TBA (viewers TBD)

ESPN2
                    6:00pm – #9 Memphis at #24 Wichita State (viewers TBD)
                    8:00pm – PAC 12 Teams TBA (viewers TBD)
                    10:00pm – WAC Teams TBA (viewers TBD)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

And, many of the smaller cable/satellite packages don't include ESPN2.
                      Do you have examples of this? I've never heard of that, but I certainly have a pretty limited experience.

Comment

This generally holds true. But there are exceptions like when the National Dodge Ball Championships are on the Ocho.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 3, 2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

What if we start a groundswell movement to refer to ESPN2 as the father ship? Or the Grandma ship?

ESPNU can be the Cousin Eddie ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Comment

True, we could always be on ESPN+ tomorrow at 3.
                              "The Big 12 Conference has announced that the West Virginia Mountaineers conference opener against the No. 5 Kansas Jayhawks in Lawrence will tip off at 4:00PM ET (3:00PM CST) next Saturday, January 4th. The game will also mark the first of five games that will be broadcast on Big 12 Now on ESPN+, which means fans will have to subscribe to the service to view the game."

Comment

• Houston vs UCF currently airing on ESPN2. Houston up 12-10 with just over 14 minutes left in the first half. Announcers just said Houston is the best offensive rebounding team in the country, rebounding 42% of their misses.
                                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
                                X