X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe it’s Noble.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

The calculated mortality rate in the US is 5.7%. That's the number of deaths divided by the number of confirmed positive tests.
      That is NOT the mortality rate. Thats the case fatality rate. You should follow the COVID-19 thread so you you can stop spreading bad facts and information.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

The calculated mortality rate in the US is 5.7%. That's the number of deaths divided by the number of confirmed positive tests. One of two things is happening. Either the mortality rate is the highest we've seen since untreated AIDS, or the testing numbers are so low that we don't have a clue what's really happening. If we have 3 to 5 times the number of positives walking the streets because they're not sick enough to qualify for a test, those people are spreading the infection, even though they may not have symptoms.
        The mortality rate is no where close to 5.7%. Closed "bubble" environments, like prisons and the aircraft carrier have shown that over 50% of people that have had the virus show no symptoms at all.. Many others have very mild symptoms. With those factors considered, the mortality rate has been estimated as low as .001%.

That would indeed make the loss of life insignificant compared to the recovery of the economy.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
          I believe it’s Noble.
          Hahahahah

Comment

The calculated mortality rate in the US is 5.7%. That's the number of deaths divided by the number of confirmed positive tests. One of two things is happening. Either the mortality rate is the highest we've seen since untreated AIDS, or the testing numbers are so low that we don't have a clue what's really happening. If we have 3 to 5 times the number of positives walking the streets because they're not sick enough to qualify for a test, those people are spreading the infection, even though they may not have symptoms.

I can wear a mask. That will protect me from spreading my infection to you, but it won't protect me from you spreading your infection to me. I'm 71 and a cancer survivor. My chemo killed my immune system. It's come back, but I have no idea and none of my docs could tell me if it would come back as effective as it had been.

Some of the opinions I've seen indicate that the loss of my life is insignificant compared to the recovery of the economy.

Back to the topic of this thread

We need a test that produces results within 30 minutes given to every player or bench person before every game. We've been told that 15 minute tests are available, but in the trenches, most tests are still in the 1 to 5-day time frame.

If we can get enough 15-minute tests by October or November, will giving them to allow a basketball game take priority over finding and tracking instances of Covid?
            You and I know damn well the mortality rate isn't 5.7% so please stop throwing that stat around. Studies have found that certain areas are showing many, many, many, many more have been infected but didn't get tested. Most reports have the morality rate somewhere around .5%. Yah that's about 5 times worse than the flu, but it's not a catastrophic number that the media likes throwing around.

You and any other high-risk individual is not forced to go outside for anything. You don't have to go to a restaurant. You don't have to go to a basketball game. You don't have to do anything. You can sit inside your house and go to and from the grocery store as long as you see fit. But the rest of society who is low risk can certainly start moving around again. You can't hide from this thing for the rest of your life. You take the precautions, you do as much as you can to prevent it, and you live life. The whole goal of isolating was to slow the spread, not stop the virus. Because you can't. Well, it has slowed well below initial projections.

It ultimately comes down to each individual. If you don't think it's safe to go out, don't. If you're content with it, then move on.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You and I know damn well the mortality rate isn't 5.7% so please stop throwing that stat around. Studies have found that certain areas are showing many, many, many, many more have been infected but didn't get tested. Most reports have the morality rate somewhere around .5%. Yah that's about 5 times worse than the flu, but it's not a catastrophic number that the media likes throwing around.

You and any other high-risk individual is not forced to go outside for anything. You don't have to go to a restaurant. You don't have to go to a basketball game. You don't have to do anything. You can sit inside your house and go to and from the grocery store as long as you see fit. But the rest of society who is low risk can certainly start moving around again. You can't hide from this thing for the rest of your life. You take the precautions, you do as much as you can to prevent it, and you live life. The whole goal of isolating was to slow the spread, not stop the virus. Because you can't. Well, it has slowed well below initial projections.

It ultimately comes down to each individual. If you don't think it's safe to go out, don't. If you're content with it, then move on.
              It’s like the flu. People didn’t give a damn when we had a bad flu season.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

It’s like the flu. People didn’t give a damn when we had a bad flu season.
                By the end of this month, even with all the restrictions, over 50,000 people will have died of COVID-19 in the United States in April alone (currently at over 45,000 for the month). By CDC estimates, the most flu deaths we have had in an entire year in the last decade is 61,000. On top of that, we do clearly take policy precautions for flu. It is just that those precautions take the form of immunization because we have that tool at our disposal for flu, but not yet for COVID-19.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post

By the end of this month, even with all the restrictions, over 50,000 people will have died of COVID-19 in the United States in April alone (currently at over 45,000 for the month). By CDC estimates, the most flu deaths we have had in an entire year in the last decade is 61,000. On top of that, we do clearly take policy precautions for flu. It is just that those precautions take the form of immunization because we have that tool at our disposal for flu, but not yet for COVID-19.
                    How many total cases did it take to get to that 50,000 figure? Not just the reported cases, the actual cases, which are likely 3-5 times higher than the reported cases. No matter how it is spun, the death rate is not nearly as high as some would like to report for salacious journalistic purposes.

And that 50,000 figure is exponentially inflated by places like NYC where you have such a dense population of people in a relatively small area. Take out NYC and what is the number of deaths? The number I have seen for NYC alone is around 13,000. So that is ~26% of total deaths from one city.

We have to approach this rationally and logically.

Comment

• I think it was Switzerland that has been most effective with the virus. I've heard they warned high risk folks to contain and let the rest of the country expose themselves in an effort to increase antibodies. They can then use those antibodies to inject into high risk folks..
                      play ball !

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I rarely and I mean rarely agree with the infamous Fever. But this is one of those exceptions. He hit the nail on the head.
                        I usually value the Aargh opinion, especially shocker hoops related. But he took a drink out of the wrong bottle on this one.

Just as Fever stated, if you are high risk, which is certainly sounds like it for Aargh, stay in doors. Have your groceries delivered, limit outside persons contact and practice good basic hygiene.
                        However, we can not stop living our lives and hope the virus just dissipates, cause its not going anywhere.
                        I agreed with the 'stay in home' order until now. The so-called curve has been flattened and the health care system has not been overwhelmed.
                        Time to start back to something at least similar to normal.

We can not go on for the long term living in fear of an invisible enemy. As one has been saying, I would rather fight standing up vs waiting to die in a ditch.

Its time to get going again people. Live your life and do so to the fullest. Remember, none of us are getting out here alive anyhow!

That is all.
                        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• I've largely stated out of the Corona discussion. When this whole thing unfolded, I said that people would die, that was a statement of fact. Aargh seems to be one of those people that believes the shutdown was to save lives, it wasn't. The shutdown was implemented to "flatten the curve" and slow progression in order to keep the healthcare infrastructure from collapsing.

It has always been known that everybody can't be saved. It was also always known that when isolation was eased there was (is) going to be a second wave. It isn't due to any callousness, cruelty or lack of caring that people are advocating for returning to normal. It is because returning to normal has been the plan all along. Every one of us is either in a high risk group, knows someone in a high risk group or is related to someone in a high risk group. Everyone cares about those in the high risk groups. Advocating for a return to normal DOESN'T mean that the safety of those in high risk groups have been cast aside. People advocating for a return to normal do care.

That said, it is imperative for society to continue moving. It is equally imperative for those in high risk groups to protect themselves. If you are in a high risk group, it is up to you to make your own risk assessment and approach life accordingly. It is equally important for life to move forward.

I don't pretend to know exactly when we should transition to normal, but it better be sometime sooner than the start of summer. The curve was flattened, the pain was spread out, by in large, the healthcare infrastructure survived the first wave. It is getting really close to time for able bodies to get back to work, while those at high risk continue to protect themselves. Groceries are now delivered, bills paid online, doctor appointments via the web are now common. A high risk person doesnt ever need to leave their house. The rest of society needs to be allowed to live. And yes, those that advocate a return to normal, do in fact care for everyone at high risk.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                            I've largely stated out of the Corona discussion. When this whole thing unfolded, I said that people would die, that was a statement of fact. Aargh seems to be one of those people that believes the shutdown was to save lives, it wasn't. The shutdown was implemented to "flatten the curve" and slow progression in order to keep the healthcare infrastructure from collapsing.

It has always been known that everybody can't be saved. It was also always known that when isolation was eased there was (is) going to be a second wave. It isn't due to any callousness, cruelty or lack of caring that people are advocating for returning to normal. It is because returning to normal has been the plan all along. Every one of us is either in a high risk group, knows someone in a high risk group or is related to someone in a high risk group. Everyone cares about those in the high risk groups. Advocating for a return to normal DOESN'T mean that the safety of those in high risk groups have been cast aside. People advocating for a return to normal do care.

That said, it is imperative for society to continue moving. It is equally imperative for those in high risk groups to protect themselves. If you are in a high risk group, it is up to you to make your own risk assessment and approach life accordingly. It is equally important for life to move forward.

I don't pretend to know exactly when we should transition to normal, but it better be sometime sooner than the start of summer. The curve was flattened, the pain was spread out, by in large, the healthcare infrastructure survived the first wave. It is getting really close to time for able bodies to get back to work, while those at high risk continue to protect themselves. Groceries are now delivered, bills paid online, doctor appointments via the web are now common. A high risk person doesnt ever need to leave their house. The rest of society needs to be allowed to live. And yes, those that advocate a return to normal, do in fact care for everyone at high risk.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• i can't believe that turgeon would ever schedule a game with the shockers. he's much too ku/unc dream-land to risk a regular-season loss to the likes of wichita state, it seems.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                                Let’s take a poll. How many on here know someone who has had Covid? Secondly, how many know someone who has died from it? We can further break that down by age and if they had pre-existing medical conditions.
                                While watching CNN-HN this morning doing a story, and I quote...."Almost everyone knows someone that has died from Covid-19'. There's your supposed non fake news.

Comment

Working...
                                X