Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I was thinking about how any of this Mutant talk is related to the '20-'21 schedule for WSU and that it was more appropriate to the off-topic forum.

But, then I started putting the clues together and realized who are famous mutants and Cowabunga Dudes, it hit me. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles of course! And what are turtles but Terrapins...We are playing Turgeons' Turtles next season, will it be a home and home?

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktown View Post
        I was thinking about how any of this Mutant talk is related to the '20-'21 schedule for WSU and that it was more appropriate to the off-topic forum.

But, then I started putting the clues together and realized who are famous mutants and Cowabunga Dudes, it hit me. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles of course! And what are turtles but Terrapins...We are playing Turgeons' Turtles next season, will it be a home and home?
        Schedule talk? Playing the Terps? Are you $hittin' us?
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Schedule talk? Playing the Terps? Are you $hittin' us?
          I'm compiling my genetic links as we speak. It will take me some time though to map out all the gnomes involved, Rapheal out of range now and I need to consult him.

Comment

• Another aspect to take in to consideration is the affect of the disease itself even upon the young adults in the bb program. Some of them would have mild cases and some not so mild. Some cases even among the young are very serious even with no underlying problems. It can leave damage to the body that may be permanent and take months just to recover from. So death is not the only thing to judge by.

Comment

• According to a new study in California over 16% of the people in that area already had the virus. 0.03% of them died from it. It's easy to catch but not statistically very deadly. A study in New York shows almost 3,000,000 people have had the virus. 0.07% died from it. 80% of the people who die are over 65 according to the CDC. If you are 25 or under it is an infinitesimally small likelihood to die from Covid-19. People die from the flu at a 0.1% rate on average. Young people are much more likely to die from the flu. If half our population didn't receive the flu vaccine there would be a lot more deaths from the flu every year.
              I think it scared us all when this virus first emerged and they said it was likely to kill over 2 million people in the USA and tens of millions worldwide. Those projections appear to be vastly overstated. To keep things in perspective over 800,000 children in the world die every year from diarrhea.
              Also, the shelter in place regimen may have slowed down the spread but it won't stop it. Many people had it before we even knew about it. Sweden didn't shut anything down and they are statistically similar to most countries that did shut down.
              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
                According to a new study in California over 16% of the people in that area already had the virus. 0.03% of them died from it. It's easy to catch but not statistically very deadly. A study in New York shows almost 3,000,000 people have had the virus. 0.07% died from it. 80% of the people who die are over 65 according to the CDC. If you are 25 or under it is an infinitesimally small likelihood to die from Covid-19. People die from the flu at a 0.1% rate on average. Young people are much more likely to die from the flu. If half our population didn't receive the flu vaccine there would be a lot more deaths from the flu every year.
                I think it scared us all when this virus first emerged and they said it was likely to kill over 2 million people in the USA and tens of millions worldwide. Those projections appear to be vastly overstated. To keep things in perspective over 800,000 children in the world die every year from diarrhea.
                Also, the shelter in place regimen may have slowed down the spread but it won't stop it. Many people had it before we even knew about it. Sweden didn't shut anything down and they are statistically similar to most countries that did shut down.
                Woodrow,
                You need to stop quoting facts that have been confirmed with studies and documentation. The media doesn't want to hear this **** cuz they have ratings to keep up and nothing generates record numbers like a good disaster. You know their good old saying of "If it bleeds, it leads."

The media has been fanning the flames of fear with the biggest fan they can find. The 'stay at home' mandate keep butts in chairs to blindly stare at the tube for hours and hours.
                This virus has been dream come true for the media pukes. No wonder they have pumping more and more support for the Red Chinese.

That is all.
                Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Let’s take a poll. How many on here know someone who has had Covid? Secondly, how many know someone who has died from it? We can further break that down by age and if they had pre-existing medical conditions.

Comment

• I’ll start. I know 0 people who have either had it or died from it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                      In San Diego, 79 of the 111 deaths (71%) are over 70 years old and 97 of the 111 deaths (87%) are over 60. Only 8 of the 111 deaths are under 50 and I am guessing those had pre-existing conditions. Pretty good statistics for college kids playing sports, IMO.
                      And the fact that a guy has heart problems, or anything that was going to kill him soon will be listed as a Corona virus death if he has even the most minor case of the virus. That was the instructions to doctors given by the CDC. So the numbers are exaggerated

Comment

• They have some pretty nice yellow and black hazmat suits out there for under $100. Fill koch arena, yellow out!

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
                          According to a new study in California over 16% of the people in that area already had the virus. 0.03% of them died from it. It's easy to catch but not statistically very deadly. A study in New York shows almost 3,000,000 people have had the virus. 0.07% died from it. 80% of the people who die are over 65 according to the CDC. If you are 25 or under it is an infinitesimally small likelihood to die from Covid-19. People die from the flu at a 0.1% rate on average. Young people are much more likely to die from the flu. If half our population didn't receive the flu vaccine there would be a lot more deaths from the flu every year.
                          The calculated mortality rate in the US is 5.7%. That's the number of deaths divided by the number of confirmed positive tests. One of two things is happening. Either the mortality rate is the highest we've seen since untreated AIDS, or the testing numbers are so low that we don't have a clue what's really happening. If we have 3 to 5 times the number of positives walking the streets because they're not sick enough to qualify for a test, those people are spreading the infection, even though they may not have symptoms.

I can wear a mask. That will protect me from spreading my infection to you, but it won't protect me from you spreading your infection to me. I'm 71 and a cancer survivor. My chemo killed my immune system. It's come back, but I have no idea and none of my docs could tell me if it would come back as effective as it had been.

Some of the opinions I've seen indicate that the loss of my life is insignificant compared to the recovery of the economy.

Back to the topic of this thread

We need a test that produces results within 30 minutes given to every player or bench person before every game. We've been told that 15 minute tests are available, but in the trenches, most tests are still in the 1 to 5-day time frame.

If we can get enough 15-minute tests by October or November, will giving them to allow a basketball game take priority over finding and tracking instances of Covid?
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            If we have 3 to 5 times the number of positives walking the streets because they're not sick enough to qualify for a test, those people are spreading the infection, even though they may not have symptoms.
                            They test for antibodies which means the person has recovered. Very unlikely they are still a transmission risk at that point.

Comment

The calculated mortality rate in the US is 5.7%. That's the number of deaths divided by the number of confirmed positive tests. One of two things is happening. Either the mortality rate is the highest we've seen since untreated AIDS, or the testing numbers are so low that we don't have a clue what's really happening. If we have 3 to 5 times the number of positives walking the streets because they're not sick enough to qualify for a test, those people are spreading the infection, even though they may not have symptoms.

I can wear a mask. That will protect me from spreading my infection to you, but it won't protect me from you spreading your infection to me. I'm 71 and a cancer survivor. My chemo killed my immune system. It's come back, but I have no idea and none of my docs could tell me if it would come back as effective as it had been.

Some of the opinions I've seen indicate that the loss of my life is insignificant compared to the recovery of the economy.

Back to the topic of this thread

We need a test that produces results within 30 minutes given to every player or bench person before every game. We've been told that 15 minute tests are available, but in the trenches, most tests are still in the 1 to 5-day time frame.

If we can get enough 15-minute tests by October or November, will giving them to allow a basketball game take priority over finding and tracking instances of Covid?
                              Yes that might be the death rate for people who have been tested. They do random sampling of groups of people and determine the percentage who have the antibodies and that statistically shows the total number of people who have been infected. Number of people who died divided by the number of people who have had it tells you the actual mortality rate. They do all disease the same way. I don't think the loss of anyone's life is insignificant. We know that age and other comorbidity issues put people at higher risk of dying. Until we have a vaccine or a proven treatment it would be better for people in those categories to avoid situations that might put them in harms way. However, it is the USA and people will make that choice themselves.
                              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

No no no. Glad you won the fight, but no need to be so maudlin. Those people are thinking about their family's future, and health, first and foremost. At this point comorbidity is the primary factor, yes. As a matter of fact that's without question the most verifiable trait of this virus, so far. Not much different from the flu, in that regard.

But realistically, some/many people don't like the idea of going scorched earth over a virus that not one person/export on this board, or any other board, including medical, has any idea what the true mortality rate is. Don't throw some bogus claim that the mortality rate is 5.7% when several States have conducted controlled studies showing the mortality rate to be below .1%. Is that a realistic across the board number? Who knows? That's the point: no one knows. What we do know now is that it's more than likely 2.2 million people ain't gonna die from it here in US, or anywhere. That being the case does Our President deserve a Nobel for Scientific Advancement in the saving of over 1 million lives? Or is 50,000-70,000 now all of a sudden just plain unacceptable? See the contrast?
                                Last edited by ShockingButTrue; April 28, 2020, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X