No announcement yet.

2020-21 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know someone that died from covid. Also, I was tested for covid last week. My wife, who works with covid pts, has not been tested.

My test came back negative. I had a cold and fever. My wife made me get tested because of her job, and rules set up by her employer. Testing is no fun. I wouldn't say it hurts, but it is uncomfortable when they shove a stick up your nose and dont stop till they hit your cerebellum.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
      I know someone that died from covid. Also, I was tested for covid last week. My wife, who works with covid pts, has not been tested.

My test came back negative. I had a cold and fever. My wife made me get tested because of her job, and rules set up by her employer. Testing is no fun. I wouldn't say it hurts, but it is uncomfortable when they shove a stick up your nose and dont stop till they hit your cerebellum.
      Good to know that you tested negative. And prayers and thanks to your wife for her work.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

While watching CNN-HN this morning doing a story, and I quote...."Almost everyone knows someone that has died from Covid-19'. There's your supposed non fake news.
        I guess it depends on what your definition of "almost everyone" is. Haa. Not surprised coming from that low-rent rag of a "news" company.

Comment

Did it make your toes wiggle, or anything cool like that?
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I wonder how many Shocker season ticket holders fall into the high risk categories? Could be more than normal seating turnover this year. Maybe some opportunities to move down.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
              I wonder how many Shocker season ticket holders fall into the high risk categories? Could be more than normal seating turnover this year. Maybe some opportunities to move down.
              It will be interesting to see how ticket prices are affected for all sporting events.

Comment

I wonder how many Shocker season ticket holders fall into the high risk categories? Could be more than normal seating turnover this year. Maybe some opportunities to move down.
                HAAAA! Post of the day by far! ;)

Comment

Typically, SASO renewal forms and payment would have been due next week. You think the board members thought that they should wait until the virus hysteria subsides before asking for large chunks of cash?

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktown View Post

Typically, SASO renewal forms and payment would have been due next week. You think the board members thought that they should wait until the virus hysteria subsides before asking for large chunks of cash?
                    I think the bigger issue is whether there will be a 2020-21 college sports season and what it looks like. Until then I doubt the renewal forms would be well received.

Comment

• I know hundreds of folks, being in the business I'm in. I don't know a single person who is known to contract the Corona virus. I do know a person who has a relative in their late 80's, that supposedly died of it in the Seattle area.

Comment

• I believe classes and football will be back in the fall, with at least 50 percent of fans allowed into the games

Comment

I've largely stated out of the Corona discussion. When this whole thing unfolded, I said that people would die, that was a statement of fact. Aargh seems to be one of those people that believes the shutdown was to save lives, it wasn't. The shutdown was implemented to "flatten the curve" and slow progression in order to keep the healthcare infrastructure from collapsing.

It has always been known that everybody can't be saved. It was also always known that when isolation was eased there was (is) going to be a second wave. It isn't due to any callousness, cruelty or lack of caring that people are advocating for returning to normal. It is because returning to normal has been the plan all along. Every one of us is either in a high risk group, knows someone in a high risk group or is related to someone in a high risk group. Everyone cares about those in the high risk groups. Advocating for a return to normal DOESN'T mean that the safety of those in high risk groups have been cast aside. People advocating for a return to normal do care.

That said, it is imperative for society to continue moving. It is equally imperative for those in high risk groups to protect themselves. If you are in a high risk group, it is up to you to make your own risk assessment and approach life accordingly. It is equally important for life to move forward.

I don't pretend to know exactly when we should transition to normal, but it better be sometime sooner than the start of summer. The curve was flattened, the pain was spread out, by in large, the healthcare infrastructure survived the first wave. It is getting really close to time for able bodies to get back to work, while those at high risk continue to protect themselves. Groceries are now delivered, bills paid online, doctor appointments via the web are now common. A high risk person doesnt ever need to leave their house. The rest of society needs to be allowed to live. And yes, those that advocate a return to normal, do in fact care for everyone at high risk.
                          That is absolutely perferct!! Thank you MVJ!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

No no no. Glad you won the fight, but no need to be so maudlin. Those people are thinking about their family's future, and health, first and foremost. At this point comorbidity is the primary factor, yes. As a matter of fact that's without question the most verifiable trait of this virus, so far. Not much different from the flu, in that regard.

But realistically, some/many people don't like the idea of going scorched earth over a virus that not one person/export on this board, or any other board, including medical, has any idea what the true mortality rate is. Don't throw some bogus claim that the mortality rate is 5.7% when several States have conducted controlled studies showing the mortality rate to be below .1%. Is that a realistic across the board number? Who knows? That's the point: no one knows. What we do know now is that it's more than likely 2.2 million people ain't gonna die from it here in US, or anywhere. That being the case does Our President deserve a Nobel for Scientific Advancement in the saving of over 1 million lives? Or is 50,000-70,000 now all of a sudden just plain unacceptable? See the contrast?
                            I'm not just throwing out some random number, as you stated. 5.7% is the number of deaths divided by the number of confirmed cases. Since I made that comment, the rate now rounds up to 5.8%.

The purpose of using the calculated mortality rate is to get an idea of the undiagnosed positives. If the actual mortality rate was .1% as you have speculated, then the calculated rate would be 57 times too high. That would mean that for each of the just over 1,000,000 confirmed positives, there would have to be 56 unconfirmed positives, which would indicate there would be more than 56 million either recovered or currently infected and untested. If there are 56 million untested people, then our testing is so lacking that we have a MAJOR problem.

The larger the difference between the actual mortality rate (which cannot be known, but is often estimated) and the calculated mortality rate (deaths divided by confirmed positives), the larger the number of people who have not been tested. The only way to narrow the difference between the calculated rate and the actual rate is to test more people who are not positive. That's when things start looking better for reopening the economy and increase the possibility of having a basketball season.

Testing is the key to getting things back to some semblance of normal, which is going to be a factor in scheduling and actually playing basketball games. So far the US has conducted a little over 4 million tests. 1/4 of the tests result in a positive. We're at 1.4% of people who have been tested have died from the virus. This is a further indication that our testing is incredibly far behind

Everything, including reopening the economy and having a basketball season hinges on testing. There's a lot of talk about how we're ramping that up, but looking at the data that's available, it's not happened yet.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

I'm not just throwing out some random number, as you stated. 5.7% is the number of deaths divided by the number of confirmed cases. Since I made that comment, the rate now rounds up to 5.8%.

The purpose of using the calculated mortality rate is to get an idea of the undiagnosed positives. If the actual mortality rate was .1% as you have speculated, then the calculated rate would be 57 times too high. That would mean that for each of the just over 1,000,000 confirmed positives, there would have to be 56 unconfirmed positives, which would indicate there would be more than 56 million either recovered or currently infected and untested. If there are 56 million untested people, then our testing is so lacking that we have a MAJOR problem.

The larger the difference between the actual mortality rate (which cannot be known, but is often estimated) and the calculated mortality rate (deaths divided by confirmed positives), the larger the number of people who have not been tested. The only way to narrow the difference between the calculated rate and the actual rate is to test more people who are not positive. That's when things start looking better for reopening the economy and increase the possibility of having a basketball season.

Testing is the key to getting things back to some semblance of normal, which is going to be a factor in scheduling and actually playing basketball games. So far the US has conducted a little over 4 million tests. 1/4 of the tests result in a positive. We're at 1.4% of people who have been tested have died from the virus. This is a further indication that our testing is incredibly far behind

Everything, including reopening the economy and having a basketball season hinges on testing. There's a lot of talk about how we're ramping that up, but looking at the data that's available, it's not happened yet.
                              So, we stay locked up until we administer 350,000,000 tests? 400,000,000 while we retest every positive? Serious question. And who pays for the tests? The government that just lost a whole bunch of income tax revenue?
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Aargh,
                                The counter to your testing point is simple - you may test a person on Tuesday and they come back negative. Then they come into contact with the virus on Friday (and would presumably then test positive).
                                Do we keep testing every person in the country on a weekly basis? To echo MVJ's point... who pays for all of these tests?
                                The 'we need to test, test and test some more' is a popular public chant these days and sure sounds nice. But in reality, it nothing more than window dressing (and something for Nancy to spout off about and pretend to be concerned for her flock).

That is all.
                                Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Working...
                                X