2020-21 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I guess agree to disagree. Having Home games vs 100-150 NET teams provides us no real benefit over a home game vs a 200+ team. A Q3 game is just as pointless as a Q4 game. The only difference is you are much more likely to lose a Q3 game than a Q4 game.

While I agree we shouldn't have an entire slate of Q4 games, the more important part is securing Q1 and Q2 games. So i just don't see the benefit of having a large chunk of Q3 games. Need to minimize bad losses, and maximize good wins. Average Wins (Q3 or Q4) and Average Losses (Q1 and Q2) mean next to nothing come selection Sunday.
    If Norlander/Parrish are correct -Most power schools are moving away from buy games (at least for this season) and are looking to schedule Q1/Q2 games because of expectant revenue shortages to be able to pay for buy games.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

I could see K-State pulling the release on a game, but definitely NOT KU. Far too risky of a game. They need matchups at home where the visitor has no ulterior motive, such as, I don't know, wanting to beat one of the few schools that has avoided playing said school (WSU) and not because the games are "bad games" for them, but because, WSU goes in with the motivation as Ivan Drago said....

That's what happens to KU. Its okay to lose to a Michigan St/Louisville/Michigan St at home, but it really is ALL ABOUT FEAR. They won't schedule teams at home unless they are "supposed" to win. They are the Syracuse of the midwest, mostly refusing to travel for a game unless the conference so mandates it (or unless Bill Self has thhe opportunity to flash his big ol smile to the national TV cameras when something goofy happens during the game.) All too often they run into a team, usually a supposed "Mid-Major" in the NCAA Tourney and we get to watch that smile turn upside down. Most supposed elite programs are nothing more than dirigibles, filled with hot air, waiting to be popped.
      Can the man (JV) get an AMEN!?!?!?!?
      Here's mine - AMEN!!!
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I guess agree to disagree. Having Home games vs 100-150 NET teams provides us no real benefit over a home game vs a 200+ team. A Q3 game is just as pointless as a Q4 game. The only difference is you are much more likely to lose a Q3 game than a Q4 game.

While I agree we shouldn't have an entire slate of Q4 games, the more important part is securing Q1 and Q2 games. So i just don't see the benefit of having a large chunk of Q3 games. Need to minimize bad losses, and maximize good wins. Average Wins (Q3 or Q4) and Average Losses (Q1 and Q2) mean next to nothing come selection Sunday.
        If Q3 guarantee games were the best part of our non-conference schedule, then I would agree that they don't help us at all. Since they aren't, I am totally fine with them. The game itself will probably not help but adding that into the total formula helps the whole picture when getting into the nitty gritty numbers (as you mentioned, the SoS).

Here's the other thing about that. It is literally almost impossible to get Q1/2 guarantee games...because there aren't that many teams that qualify as such. Looking at the NET rankings, there were no teams in Q1 range (1-30) that could have been bought and maybe only a half dozen or so that would be Q2 (31-75). The alternative to having Q3 guarantee games is to not have them at all...which will likely never happen and is a completely different discussion anyway.

As Fev said, if we can avoid Q4 guarantee games as much as possible, I am a happy camper.
        78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

If Q3 guarantee games were the best part of our non-conference schedule, then I would agree that they don't help us at all. Since they aren't, I am totally fine with them. The game itself will probably not help but adding that into the total formula helps the whole picture when getting into the nitty gritty numbers (as you mentioned, the SoS).

Here's the other thing about that. It is literally almost impossible to get Q1/2 guarantee games...because there aren't that many teams that qualify as such. Looking at the NET rankings, there were no teams in Q1 range (1-30) that could have been bought and maybe only a half dozen or so that would be Q2 (31-75). The alternative to having Q3 guarantee games is to not have them at all...which will likely never happen and is a completely different discussion anyway.

As Fev said, if we can avoid Q4 guarantee games as much as possible, I am a happy camper.
          My point is SOS wont matter at all if we drop a couple Q3 games. Quadrant records are the majority of your resume. Sadly, most of your season doesn't matter. It's all about getting quality wins (Q1 and Q2) and avoiding bad losses (Q3 and Q4). So that's why having high end Q3 games are a bad idea to me. They are nothing but a high risk, zero reward game.

Look at last year. Most experts had us in over Cincinnati.

Cincy had a Better SOS, Better wins, and had 2 wins over us. They only played 2 Q4 games all year. The reason? They play high end Q3 games and lost a couple of them. They got no benefit from the better SOS, just took the risk and lost.

Comment

• If we can’t beat a Q3 team at home in multiple games, then we don’t deserve to dance.

Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I see that the SASO renewal will arrive in today’s mail! Oh please, oh please, let us have basketball!

Comment

• College basketball recruiting: The 10 teams that helped themselves the most with their 2020 class - CBS Sports

By David Cobb
                May 1, 2020 at 10:27 am ET

Get the latest news and information for the Oklahoma State Cowboys. 2023 season schedule, scores, stats, and highlights. Find out the latest on your favorite NCAAB teams on CBSSports.com.

"...With nearly all of the top prospects in the 2020 class off the board, some interesting storylines have emerged that could have major implications on the court next season and seasons beyond as some non-traditional powers also landed top talent from the class. Here are the 10 teams in position to benefit most from the influx of talent scheduled to arrive on campus this season....

1. Oklahoma State

Breakdown: There is no mystery here. Oklahoma State makes the list because it signed the No. 1 overall player in the class in Cade Cunningham, but the group also features enough depth to contribute to the program long after Cunningham's likely one-and-done college career. Four-star guard Rondel Walker and a trio of other signees will replenish a roster that is losing four of its top six scorers to graduation as coach Mike Boynton seeks to gain traction in his fourth season...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
                  I see that the SASO renewal will arrive in today’s mail! Oh please, oh please, let us have basketball!
                  Flat prices for both tickets and SASO. Obviously, COVID played a factor in that, but I’d hope that people with authority have paid attention to the secondary market tailspin that has been happening.
                  78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Flat prices for both tickets and SASO. Obviously, COVID played a factor in that, but I’d hope that people with authority have paid attention to the secondary market tailspin that has been happening.
                    If people renew or buy season tickets now and the season doesn't happen for whatever reason, will they get a refund for their SASO donation also?
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

If people renew or buy season tickets now and the season doesn't happen for whatever reason, will they get a refund for their SASO donation also?
                      No. It specifically states that "SASO is not refundable". I'm sure that this is because they give out the scholarships regardless.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I have other questions:

1) What happens if its only a partial season regarding my season ticket price?

2) One of the letters also states that they must received my payment by the deadline "to secure your seating and other SASO benefits". What guarantee do they give me for "my seating" if they have to practice social distancing. Who knows where my seating might be compared to where it is now, if I get any guaranteed seating at all?

3) What happens if there is a second flair up after I've paid my SASO and bought my tickets. Games may go on, but no fans?

I believe these to be potentially valid concerns. These problems were not addressed at all. Yet, I have to have my SASO in by June 1 and ticket purchase by June 15.

I fully understand my SASO is for scholarships. However, make no doubt about it, I pay SASO what I do to get the 4 seats that I have.

Comment

• Things are looking up. I ran into something that said summer practices could start in June if the phased reopening doesn't produce a big second wave.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I have other questions:

1) What happens if its only a partial season regarding my season ticket price?

2) One of the letters also states that they must received my payment by the deadline "to secure your seating and other SASO benefits". What guarantee do they give me for "my seating" if they have to practice social distancing. Who knows where my seating might be compared to where it is now, if I get any guaranteed seating at all?

3) What happens if there is a second flair up after I've paid my SASO and bought my tickets. Games may go on, but no fans?

I believe these to be potentially valid concerns. These problems were not addressed at all. Yet, I have to have my SASO in by June 1 and ticket purchase by June 15.

I fully understand my SASO is for scholarships. However, make no doubt about it, I pay SASO what I do to get the 4 seats that I have.
                            Have you tried calling the ticket office?

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Have you tried calling the ticket office?
                              Just received my packet today. I actually don't know if it makes any difference any way as I'm all in anyway (so far).

That said, given the Charter Guardian level with 4 seats for many years, I'm not sure I should have to call. The other thing is that they appear to only be concerned about themselves and you "rounding up" or being a 110%er. No mention of those who may have been financial hurt and any "forgiveness/protection" if they just cannot afford it this year due to events out of their control. Simply that they will work with you regarding the deadlines.

I never really thought about it, but what happens if a person/family cannot afford it for one year or if they need to go to a lower level for a year or two. I assume on the second one, you lose your seating and perks and don't get them back, but go to the back of the line and work yourself back up even though you may be contributing/paying as much as you did previously.

Comment

• Not sure what to make of this:

Comment

Working...
                                X