Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cdizzle
    commented on 's reply
    Redshirting for non-injuries is a waste of a scholarship year. Both for school and player. If you aren't going to get it in 4, you aren't going to get it in 5.

• Cdizzle
    commented on 's reply
    Would it have been worse? Certainly would have saved him a year of eligibility. Brown is a decent example. What's the point of the redshirt?

• wufan
    replied
    Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    So, at best, in 12 years we have 1, Shaq Morris.

Even if I concede that one, I'd still choose to not do it as a rule to get the other 10 back.
    The other 10 back? Let’s take a look at our most recent RS: Rod Brown. He was on the bench two years, one as a RS and one as a seldom used reserve. You believe it would have been better to be a never used reserve as a freshman behind Willis and McDuffie, and then a seldom used reserve sophomore. Makes no sense.

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    commented on 's reply
    Explain your point again, please

• Cdizzle
    replied
    So, at best, in 12 years we have 1, Shaq Morris.

Even if I concede that one, I'd still choose to not do it as a rule to get the other 10 back.

Leave a comment:

• DUShock
    commented on 's reply
    @WstateU

• ShockTalk
    commented on 's reply
    What ever happened to that old common phrase on SN that big men take longer to develop? I still believe it is true and for a number of reasons. They may still be growing in size and face a continual battle to control and adjust to those physical changes. Most big men in high school are not outstanding shooters....they didn't have to be to dominate a game. They also are not generally as mobile as they could be for the same reason. This all leads to a general "big awakening" if one goes to a quality college program. If one did not see these changes, not just in skills, but in athleticism, attitudes, and approach to the game in players like Shaq, Durley, and Miller, I cannot help you. I believe all three of these players, some of our best true centers, all sat out a year for one reason or another. Even Kyle Wilson (a 4/5) benefited from a RS.

• Dan
    commented on 's reply
    Morris was the best center in the league his senior year. If he would’ve played as a freshman he would’ve been the 4th post behind Carter, Lufile and coleby. He was buried by depth and was immature and out of shape. That redshirt year did wonders for him.

• Dan
    commented on 's reply
    Henderson and Holland are not good comps, IMO. Neither were good enough to play at WSU, they had success at inferior programs. They were recruited at a time when we were taking more flyers on kids. But still, there’s only so many minutes to go around and they all want to play.

• Dan
    commented on 's reply
    Better shooting percentage would be good, but I like JB and trust that he’s been putting in a lot of work on this front.

• Cdizzle
    commented on 's reply
    You lose the opportunity to get a new player that could be better. If somebody isn't going to figure it out in 4 years, I think we're better off rolling the dice on the next recruit, rather than spending 5 for 4.

Morris never 'got it.' 4 years, 5, years, 12 years, didn't matter. He was who he was. Which was a fine player.

• WSUwatcher
    commented on 's reply
    Another good example, pin, although from a previous regime.

It's not as if Marshall goes around redshirting with wild abandon -- he picks his spots, and he usually has a better idea of a player's future than the kid himself does, which is not surprising considering 3G's experience and talent judgment. He doesn't force it on anyone, but when players are willing to give it a try, it can pay off big time.

• Shockm
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with Wufan. If anyone needed the full five years to mature into a basketball player for GM, it was Shaq.

• wufan
    commented on 's reply
    Please make your case on why red-shirting Morris was a waste.

• wufan
    commented on 's reply
    Shaq Morris
Working...
X