No announcement yet.

2019-20 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burton has only had 1 good game? Come on, Fev. I'm with you that what he was doing as PG wasn't working great for us in the OU game. But let's not define his career by it.

If anything, I'm more interested in re-watching the game to see the scheming going on. Marshall and Kruger are great coaches, and there was a lot going on in that game that I wasn't keeping up with. Some of the things that were burning us defensively are because we were taking other pieces away. Some of what was grinding us offensively is because they were taking some actions away. Marshall got in the last haymaker in this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post

I think we have the PG....it's the consistency. I thought Sherfield took over the OU game at about the 10 min mark. If we start getting 40 minutes of that....look out.
      My comment was pretty vague. I more meant it as one of our pg’s needs to step up and be a consistent creator of offense. I think we have at least 3 guys on the team capable of it.

Comment

• FVV was hardly seeing the floor at this time in his Fr year. I think Sherfield is doing a good job considering he's dealing with adjusting to D1 ball, and playing PG in Marshall's system all at the same time. That's a major undertaking.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I definitely like his game. Consistency is the understatement of the post. He just needs to take what's available to him. If the lane opens up off a pick, go for it. I don't want him to catch JB disease and think that after 1 good game, that he can just keep doing the same thing over and over again, even if it stops working.
          I thought we had already covered this territory.

Burton : 22.1 mpg / 9.4 ppg / 3.6 rpp / 34 assists /15 TOs / 2.3 A/T / .7 steals pg /.456 FG% / .500 3pt% / .556 FT%

Sherfield: 22.1 mpg / 8.6 ppg/ 2.4 rpp/ 28 assists/ 17 TOs / 1.6 A/T/ .9 steals pg / .379 FG% / .300 3pt% / .857 FT%

Keep in mind, JB has played one less game than GS, yet has 6 more assists.

Most all of GS stats are coming from playing the point (assists/TOs/A/T ratio important).

You will also notice that JB plays the 3 a lot when GS is at point (think of Armstead/FFV). GS played 25 minutes against OU. JB played 30 minutes, half at the PG and half at the 3 (60% of the time GS is at point).

My question is, if JB has had only one good game, just how does he have as good or better PG stats and better FG% and 3pt%? I believe both have had good and poor games. In time, I do believe JB will play less PG, but makes a great "backup".

Comment

• College Basketball Weekend Takeaways 12/13-12/15 - The Game Haus

by James Navalance
            December 17, 2019

College basketball's takeaway's from the weekend with going into depth on player's impact and the team results

"There is no great team yet…
            The upsets continue to happen in college basketball this season. Ohio State lost on the road against Minnesota. That leaves only four unbeaten teams left in college basketball with Auburn, San Diego State, Liberty and Duquesne. Parity has always been there in college basketball, however, with the roster turnover being at an all-time high this leads to less roster continuity. As conference play is approaching there is the same amount of uncertainty of who college basketball’s best are and it is setting up a for the terrific second half of the season...

Wichita State
            The Shocker way is back for Gregg Marshall and he has a team that is ready to compete for the AAC title. This team has displayed balance and that will be key coming down to having success towards March. In addition, Erik Stevenson is applying good all-around play on both ends and Tyson Etienne is giving major toughness for Wichita State. Also, Trey Wade has played with really good versatility and great play on the boards. Jamarius Burton is a sharpshooter for Wichita State and extends the defense. Further, Grant Sherfield adds additional depth to the backcourt providing more scoring. Greg Marshall has a team that’s ready to compete for the AAC title.

Memphis
            No, James Wiseman, no problem for Memphis as they continue to find ways to get the job done. The win over Tennessee symbolizes what this team is all about and the success Penny Hardaway has had with this team. Furthermore, the play of D.J. Jefferies has been very impressive with his ability to defend and score inside and out consistently. Next, the energy of Precious Achiuwa is contagious and provides a very good ability to get second chance opportunities and runs the floor very well. In addition, Damion Blaugh came up big giving additional scoring and big shots to the perimeter. The steadiness of Alex Lomax and Tyler Harris off the bench were very key in their win over Tennessee. Now, once Wiseman returns for Memphis they will be in the mix to compete for the national championship...."

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
              College Basketball Weekend Takeaways 12/13-12/15 - The Game Haus

by James Navalance
              December 17, 2019

College basketball's takeaway's from the weekend with going into depth on player's impact and the team results

"There is no great team yet…
              The upsets continue to happen in college basketball this season. Ohio State lost on the road against Minnesota. That leaves only four unbeaten teams left in college basketball with Auburn, San Diego State, Liberty and Duquesne. Parity has always been there in college basketball, however, with the roster turnover being at an all-time high this leads to less roster continuity. As conference play is approaching there is the same amount of uncertainty of who college basketball’s best are and it is setting up a for the terrific second half of the season...

Wichita State
              The Shocker way is back for Gregg Marshall and he has a team that is ready to compete for the AAC title. This team has displayed balance and that will be key coming down to having success towards March. In addition, Erik Stevenson is applying good all-around play on both ends and Tyson Etienne is giving major toughness for Wichita State. Also, Trey Wade has played with really good versatility and great play on the boards. Jamarius Burton is a sharpshooter for Wichita State and extends the defense. Further, Grant Sherfield adds additional depth to the backcourt providing more scoring. Greg Marshall has a team that’s ready to compete for the AAC title.

Memphis
              No, James Wiseman, no problem for Memphis as they continue to find ways to get the job done. The win over Tennessee symbolizes what this team is all about and the success Penny Hardaway has had with this team. Furthermore, the play of D.J. Jefferies has been very impressive with his ability to defend and score inside and out consistently. Next, the energy of Precious Achiuwa is contagious and provides a very good ability to get second chance opportunities and runs the floor very well. In addition, Damion Blaugh came up big giving additional scoring and big shots to the perimeter. The steadiness of Alex Lomax and Tyler Harris off the bench were very key in their win over Tennessee. Now, once Wiseman returns for Memphis they will be in the mix to compete for the national championship...."

Not a bad review.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Not a bad review.
                Agree, but didn't know JB was a "sharpshooter"? That would be wonderful... no doubt he's strokin' it better than he did last year. Cue Clarence Carter's Strokin'...
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• JB and GS make a great combo but they will be challenged like never before against VCU. I would like to see NF get more experience too...I hope he does not get left behind but that is HCGM call. I do believe this is an unselfish team, willing to share minutes and the glory and genuinely like playing for a contender for the next 2-3 years. I can’t see the future, but my guess is that nobody is going pro at the end of this season nor entering the transfer portal.

I made a comment during the OU game that we go as JB goes. What I really meant is that we go as our PG goes. GS came in and we found a spark. There were games GS was flustered and JB came in and made it happen. It’s nice to know we have depth and diverse styles of play.

WSU will always be under appreciated and under valued...that’s fine, it makes us hungry and play angry. Our current roster is ready to shock the world once again. Let’s take care of VCU and let the polls fall where they may.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Agree, but didn't know JB was a "sharpshooter"? That would be wonderful... no doubt he's strokin' it better than he did last year. Cue Clarence Carter's Strokin'...
                    46% FG, 44% 2-pt and 50% 3-pt. So far. We'll see. Form looks 1,000% better than last year.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• He left out perhaps one of our most important players, Echenique

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                        Sherfield was phenomenal when we went to the pickle-roll offense late in the game. Though, it's reasonable to wonder how we would all feel if he had missed a couple of those 12-foot floaters (luckily we don't have to cuz he's a baller and made them). He still struggles mightily with running the stock motion offense and sets. BUT, he's a freshman 10 games into his career, so it's not something I'm worried about. He'll get there in time, and he's doing enough right to see lots of court time to get it working.
                        The dude carved up Big 12's Oklahoma. Oklahoma. He's a freshman. On the biggest stage he's ever seen.

He's got more than a little bit of Armstud in him, am I wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Root Angry View Post

The dude carved up Big 12's Oklahoma. Oklahoma. He's a freshman. On the biggest stage he's ever seen.

He's got more than a little bit of Armstud in him, am I wrong?
                          Also, he has't even showcased his jumper yet...

Comment

• I don't know if this is media love, but it is viewer love. TV ratings from Saturday for several college basketball games:

Memphis at Tennessee (ESPN, 3:08 PM, 127 min.) • 0.950 million viewers
                            Georgia Tech at Kentucky (ESPN, 5:15 PM, 107 min.) • 1.151 million viewers
                            Michigan State at Oakland (ESPN2, 12:00 PM, 130 min.) • 0.244 million viewers
                            Delaware at Villanova (ESPN2, 2:10 PM, 124 min.) • 0.167 million viewers
                            Saint Louis at Auburn (ESPN2, 4:14 PM, 114 min.) • 0.175 million viewers
                            Oklahoma at Wichita State (ESPN2, 6:08 PM, 112 min.) • 0.316 million viewers
                            Gonzaga at Arizona (ESPN2, 10:00 PM, 127 min.) • 0.540 million viewers
                            Mississippi State at Kansas State (ESPNU, 11:30 AM, 132 min.) • 0.110 million viewers
                            Tulsa at Arkansas (ESPNU, 1:42 PM, 117 min.) • 0.181 million viewers

Big East Southern at Butler (FS1, 12:00 PM, 117 min.) • 0.043 million viewers
                            Big East UIC at DePaul (FS1, 2:00 PM, 128 min.) • 0.028 million viewers
                            Big East Stony Brook at Providence (FS1, 8:00 PM, 131 min.) • 0.078 million viewers

UCLA at Notre Dame (ABC, 3:00 PM) • 0.632 million viewers
                            Oregon at Michigan (CBS, 12:00 PM) • 1.827 million viewers
                            Big East Syracuse at Georgetown (Fox, 1:04 PM) • 0.778 million viewers
                            Pretty decent, considering OU fans are probably still focused on football.

How much money must Fox Sports be losing on their FS1 deal with the Big East? Isn't this the 5th or 6th year of a 12-year deal? I would think their viewership would have been closer to that of ESPNU by now. That conference is not going to be happy when the current deal expires.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              I don't know if this is media love, but it is viewer love. TV ratings from Saturday for several college basketball games:

How much money must Fox Sports be losing on their FS1 deal with the Big East? Isn't this the 5th or 6th year of a 12-year deal? I would think their viewership would have been closer to that of ESPNU by now. That conference is not going to be happy when the current deal expires.
                              I'm thinkin we are the couple on your right, wolfing down popcorn like we have not eaten for weeks

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                                I don't know if this is media love, but it is viewer love. TV ratings from Saturday for several college basketball games:

It's an obscure channel that's way down the guide on most cable platforms. New Big East fans will tell you it's the second coming of Christ, but they constantly have to prop themselves up with this deal to make themselves feel better about it. Their conference message board has like a 500 page thread going on about it, every program that's on the channel, it's daily ratings reports, etc. Very mid-majorish insecurity.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X