Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Crossover Classic (formerly Battle 4 Atlantis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna be a long year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
      So when is WSU's first game going to be? At least 2 more weeks right?
      They haven't decided for sure about next week .. might depend on the tests over the next week, but as of right now it's likely Dec 12th vs Oklahoma State

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Here's one that's even worse: Costa Rica.....almost a third-world country:
          132K cases, about 1700 deaths. In a country with 5 million people. Death rate is less than half of ours, when normalized....
          Thanks for going to the trouble.

Do you have the statistics of how many people of Chinese nationality (or, out of Wuhan exclusively) visited Costa Rica in the calendar year 2020 vs. the US? Context. You do know that kids of teenage years and College age are having Covid parties? context.

And further, do you realize it's just plain stupid to bring those stats over here to the Basketball forum? Oh, wait...
          Last edited by ShockingButTrue; November 24, 2020, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Compliance with the mask mandate in Wichita is very high compared to the rest of country. Anecdotally it seems to be 95% when I go out. I have heard like in Memphis it is only 40% (from Garry Parrish). Meanwhile the death rate (which is the only metric that matters) in Wichita is well below the national average.

So I don't think you can blame WSU problems on Wichitan's throwing caution to the wind. They have been pretty compliant. Now I don't know what the basketball programs actions - it only takes one individual to not take it serious and infect the team.

This is not contained around the world. There is several things that happening - countries are not reporting because they either don't have the infrastructure to test and record, or they are not reporting for political reason (China - No cases since April? Yeah that really happened).

Or in Europe they went total lock down, shutdown everything. Even then, as soon as they open up the virus comes back with a vengeance. And still with those draconian measures there are several European countries that have higher death rates - Spain, Italy, UK. France is not far behind.

South Korea is the one country did it really well. They already have a culture that is willing to wear a mask straight from the start. Second, they leveraged technology for contract tracing through cell phones. Very draconian, invasion of privacy - but very effective. Then they would lock parts of their community down that had infections. They also implemented robust testing. Anybody could be tested, and encouraged through drive through testing.

If there has been any failure - it was the CDC initial response and their failure in having testing available. And we still don't have the testing capability needed.

Where has the country failures really been - NY, NJ, Mass, Conn, La, RI, Miss, Illinois. Michigan - all with really high death rates. Does anybody see a pattern here. Democratic run states. And in some cases like NY, their actions have been criminal - like when Cuomo ordered the elderly be taken out of the hospital and be put back in the retirement homes.
            The list of countries kicking out butt in this regard is long. I have facilities in 9 European / APAC countries. All of APAC countries with facilities are light years ahead of the US. Some have not had cases for 200+ days. Others jump into action when any cases are found and quickly get the spread under wraps.

Europe did become too lax during late summer and early fall (I think they foolishly followed our example), but the data shows most countries are all on the downhill side of cases growth.

In each of these facilities we have Wichita-expats so I am confident in their analysis regarding the facts in the ground is correct. To put it simply - they are looking back at the US in disbelief.

Regarding red state / blue state. Pretty sure attempting to agree on differentiation between the situations would be futile. Furthermore, the red states are now facing the crising head-on and I fear we are on the verge of seeing death rates creep back up as the system overloads. I am sincerely hoping improvements in treatment will avoid repeating worse case scenarios. I am too tired of coworkers and friends of family ending up in the hospital or worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

They haven't decided for sure about next week .. might depend on the tests over the next week, but as of right now it's likely Dec 12th vs Oklahoma State
              Figures.

Comment

• SFA's game was just lost to a non-essential person travelling with the team. Wonder if ours was too... if so ... needs to completely limit access to all but the bare minimum this year. Don't really care who the "extras" are.

Comment

• Half way down to Fort Worth
                  That was the beginning
                  Two days out of South Dakota
                  when will this end?

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                    Half way down to Fort Worth
                    That was the beginning
                    Two days out of South Dakota
                    when will this end?
                    Hopefully, mostly by the end of summer 2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Gonna be a long year.
                      I am not concerned. America is rounding the corner and rounding the final turn of this pandemic. The media is overblowning fears about this stuff. Shocker basketball will take place.

Comment

• Disappointed with this happening although I can't say I am that surprised it happened. If the Thanksgiving weekend wasn't already screwed up enough this just makes it exponentially worse. Shocker fans needed the mental lift these games would have provided. Hang in there everyone and stay safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post

I'd sure like to see the data on that.... cases have went up everywhere w/ the mask mandate, time to realize maybe they really don't help!
                          The masks help to limit the spread of COVID-19 by the infected person(s). It doesn't help the person wearing the mask if no one else is. So, for example, if 10 people are in a room and 9 of them have COVID-19 and are not wearing masks, that 10th person is pretty likely to get COVID even if wearing a mask. assuming they all remain in the room for a long enough period of time.

Comment

• Masks are a joke man, it's sad people think they're such a life saver. Know multiple people who wear them everyone and sanitize everything and still get it. Enough with the hysteria!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              Disappointed with this happening although I can't say I am that surprised it happened. If the Thanksgiving weekend wasn't already screwed up enough this just makes it exponentially worse. Shocker fans needed the mental lift these games would have provided. Hang in there everyone and stay safe.
                              The players need the mental lift worse than us IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                Disappointed with this happening although I can't say I am that surprised it happened. If the Thanksgiving weekend wasn't already screwed up enough this just makes it exponentially worse. Shocker fans needed the mental lift these games would have provided. Hang in there everyone and stay safe.
                                You are a breath of fresh air with a logical and positive post. But its hard for me to take this approach when so many have dismissed and downplayed this threat for so many months. And now some of these same people want to act like they are surprised when games are being canceled.

I recall Doctors and Scientists saying back in April that a second wave would hit the country in the fall. And our so-called leaders dismissed this idea.These people took no steps to protect the people ,let alone sports. In fact the biggest CLOWN was telling us that the virus goes away after April when it gets warmer. Now the second wave is on us. Very disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                                X