Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Crossover Classic (formerly Battle 4 Atlantis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      Ugh .. UNI is replacing Texas A&M ... Can we back out now? this has turned into a turd of a tournament.

Went from all power teams to the only possible power teams are West Virigina, Creighton and a team that's already in our own conference.
      I get it, but man it will be really nice to have WSU basketball to watch. I don't care if we play against a high school JV team.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Ugh .. UNI is replacing Texas A&M ... Can we back out now? this has turned into a turd of a tournament.

Went from all power teams to the only possible power teams are West Virigina, Creighton and a team that's already in our own conference.
        We need games and I’m not going to act like WSU is above playing UNI or that Texas A&M is definitely better than UNI outside of conference affiliation. Are we afraid they will beat us?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I get it, but man it will be really nice to have WSU basketball to watch. I don't care if we play against a high school JV team.
          There is no reason we can't get other games in that time frame.

We need games and I’m not going to act like WSU is above playing UNI or that Texas A&M is definitely better than UNI outside of conference affiliation. Are we afraid they will beat us?
          No, but it's becoming an All-Risk, no reward scenario. Not only are we having to travel to the worst state in the US for COVID positive rates, but we are playing teams that will give us no tangible benefits later in the year but can play out of their @ss and beat us. UNI, SDSU, Utah State, and St Mary's are unlikely to be at-large teams. That leaves WVU and Creighton plus a conference mate as the only beneficial games.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
            Time to abandon this mid major train wreck. Absolutely zero to gain here now.

And with the coaching change, another extra week of practice couldn’t hurt.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

If WSU pulls out, what teams are available that they can get?

Is really a Nebraska Omaha or Gardner Webb or Tennesse Martin going to be better? That was WSU first 3 opponent last year.

Right now, u have to try and get any games you can get in the non-conference, as quick as possible, because we don't know how quickly teams will get shut down at 2 weeks at time. Yes the tournament is not as strong, but it not actually that bad.

Comment

No, but it's becoming an All-Risk, no reward scenario. Not only are we having to travel to the worst state in the US for COVID positive rates, but we are playing teams that will give us no tangible benefits later in the year but can play out of their @ss and beat us. UNI, SDSU, Utah State, and St Mary's are unlikely to be at-large teams. That leaves WVU and Creighton plus a conference mate as the only beneficial games.
                I’m not so sure it is that easy to just find another game. Maybe it is.

All those teams you mentioned are teams who are often found in the tournament and are typically solid if unspectacular on the resume. Wins against them would prob be in the Q2 range with varying potential to reach Q1 if things went well while a loss is unlikely to be considered “bad”.

For a team whose head coach resigned a week before the first game, has so many new faces and didn’t get a scrimmage or exhibition game I think the tournament competition seems about right.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I’m not so sure it is that easy to just find another game. Maybe it is.

All those teams you mentioned are teams who are often found in the tournament and are typically solid if unspectacular on the resume. Wins against them would prob be in the Q2 range with varying potential to reach Q1 if things went well while a loss is unlikely to be considered “bad”.

For a team whose head coach resigned a week before the first game, who has many new faces and didn’t get a scrimmage or exhibition games I think the tournament competition seems about right.
                  Teams I mentioned
                  UNI: Anyone that bets on UNI making the tourney is not going to have a good day.
                  SDSU: They normally make the tourney as a really high (low? depending on how you look at it) seed. They also dont have Daum there anymore
                  Utah State: Lost their only really good player in Merrill ... they might be good but more likely will not be an at-large quality team
                  St Marys: Lost their top 3 scorers and their best returning scorer is 6 points.

Yes we aren't world beaters but unless we are just writing off this year as a non-tourney year (i'm not) then this is a VERY little reward scenario and those 4 teams are more likely to be Q3 games by the end of the year than anything else IMO.

Comment

Lets assume WSU just wins. This means they would play

Round 1: Utah State (KenPom 41 last year, Top 70 projected this year)
                    Round 2: CU (Top 15 KenPom Projected)
                    Round 3: VW (Top 10 KenPom Projected) or Memphis (Top 40 KenPom Projected)

How would this not provide WSU tangible benefits?

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Lets assume WSU just wins. This means they would play

Round 1: Utah State (KenPom 41 last year, Top 70 projected this year)
                      Round 2: CU (Top 15 KenPom Projected)
                      Round 3: VW (Top 10 KenPom Projected) or Memphis (Top 40 KenPom Projected)

How would this not provide WSU tangible benefits?

Seem my notes on the last one. I'm challenging Utah State will be Top 100 with what they lost.

The rest is all based on a perfect scenario. I do not think that will happen.

Comment

• Seems to late to be rearranging schedule. Can't be to picky and playing more mid level
                        teams to begin with is probably better than getting hammered by really good teams. We
                        may be no more than mid level ourselves. It's more important how you end the season than
                        how you begin. I doubt we are going to be dancing this season so just enjoy being able to
                        watch some Shocker basketball again. BTW, does anyone know if Cox 22 is going to air our
                        home games this year? With very limited game attendance I sure hope we at least get TV.

Comment

• It's not like we'll be playing all of these teams. So if we win our first game, we have a good shot at getting three quality games/wins. Creighton is a preseason top 10/15 team. Utah State will likely end up as a Q2 game. There's virtually no chance we end up playing UNI.

But like every pre-season tournament, winning the first game is vital.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Seem my notes on the last one. I'm challenging Utah State will be Top 100 with what they lost.
                            Then who are the alternative that they can get if they drop out right now?

The rest is all based on a perfect scenario. I do not think that will happen.
                            It seems your half-cup empty guy today. You see WSU having the opportunity to lose against a bunch teams that would be bad losses. I see the opportunity for WSU if they can be better than anybody projected to have a chance at some quality wins if they can just win games 1 and 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Then who are the alternative that they can get if they drop out right now?

It seems your half-cup empty guy today. You see WSU having the opportunity to lose against a bunch teams that would be bad losses. I see the opportunity for WSU if they can be better than anybody projected to have a chance at some quality wins if they can just win games 1 and 2.

Things are so fluid now but there are a bunch of power schools within driving distance that I'm sure they can work a one off with.

And it's not being half-empty .. it's being honest about the risk/reward for this tournament now. Dont get me wrong .. i want them on the court ASAP but the reward is very quickly leaking out of this tournament.

Comment

Things are so fluid now but there are a bunch of power schools within driving distance that I'm sure they can work a one off with.
                                Who? Which ones are looking for games?

This is the third time you have said there are better opponents just waiting for WSU to call for games, but you continue to not tell use who they are.

And it's not being half-empty .. it's being honest about the risk/reward for this tournament now. Dont get me wrong .. i want them on the court ASAP but the reward is very quickly leaking out of this tournament.
                                I disagree. If WSU is any good, they will get quality opponents because they will win. If they are not any good, then it doesn't matter who they lose too - they won't be going to the tournament anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X